• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Why in 38 Special? If you get a 357 Magnum, it also shoots 38 Special. The Ruger GP 100 is a good one to start with, or as already mentioned, Ruger Redhawk.

I don't have a desire to shoot any magnum loads so for me it would be a waste of money to pay extra for that capability. Maybe it would be OK to be able to fire +p 38 special as an optional load but that would be about the extent of what I would want.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    What was wrong with a Glock 19?

The Glock failed my testing for the following reasons:

1. Poor ergonomics.
    2. Poor sights.
    3. Very poor trigger performance.

My research showed that it would take a significant investment in new parts/labor to address these issues and even then there was a good possibility that it would still be inadequate. With such a high chance of dissatisfaction after a significant amount of money was spent I dropped it from the list of contenders.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Consider a 75bd compact or full size. Out of the box the triggers aren’t too amazing but over use they smooth out. My compact is proof of how these triggers can be smoother than a revolver trigger.

I would say my xd mod 2 service length has the second best trigger in my collection. It’s got a good crisp trigger.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Consider a 75bd compact or full size. Out of the box the triggers aren’t too amazing but over use they smooth out. My compact is proof of how these triggers can be smoother than a revolver trigger.

I would say my xd mod 2 service length has the second best trigger in my collection. It’s got a good crisp trigger.

The CZ-75B and CZ-75 Compact are already queued up in my buy list. No need to re-evaluate them. ;-)

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Sounds like you're a 1911 guy

Oh, that's right, I changed away from my Walther avatar for the holidays.

Rl7RyRn.jpg

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    The Glock failed my testing for the following reasons:

1. Poor ergonomics.
    2. Poor sights.
    3. Very poor trigger performance.

My research showed that it would take a significant investment in new parts/labor to address these issues and even then there was a good possibility that it would still be inadequate. With such a high chance of dissatisfaction after a significant amount of money was spent I dropped it from the list of contenders.

As someone with a tendency to overthink things, I believe you may be doing exactly that (overthinking this), especially if the 'testing' you mentioned was research/paper-based only (as opposed to hands-on). Also, not sure what intended use is other than a single comment above regarding home/self defense, a purpose which Glock excels at...

I'm not a Glock "fanboy" despite enjoying the occasional teasing of other platforms (some of which I actually own one or more of), but the fact is that Glock makes a fine weapon which many of their competitors have tried very hard to replicate.

The ergonomics are a matter of opinion (likely based at least partially on physiological differences), and short of spending a few hours shooting one, I see no way that one could rule it in or out over that. Personally, I love the grip angle/ergonomics on the Glock, feels far more natural to me than some others.

Sights - not sure anyone who carries a Glock keeps the factory sights, just swap them at purchase (with Trijicon/Ameriglo/Meprolight) and be done with it.

Trigger is fine, easy to upgrade if you want (in whole or part), but no need unless you intend on competing with it for group size. In fact, my "main use" (daily carry) glocks have all kept stock factory triggers for several reasons, among them being reliability and adrenaline-management (get that heart pumping and try to manage a 1911 "icicle" trigger). As for actual "real world" performance, have been able to use a stock Glock (except sights) to put rapid doubles/triples on-target from about 20-30 yards away while in a fast-run at an angle to target. Bottom line - they get the job done.

As for pretty, who cares. A Glock is like a good hammer. Take just a little care of it and it'll work nearly forever, will always have some resale value if not completely mangled, and if that happens- big deal, just get another one.

Also, as was mentioned in an earlier post - if you are able to qualify for Blue Label sales, that pricing simply can't be beat with a stick...All of my Glocks are Blue Label, highly recommend going that route if qualified and have appropriate ID/proof...

Last edited:

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    ...They are all good you just have to find what works for you and not what others try to brainwash you with.
    My finding has been the same, I've just had to live with some of these things for a while and decided what like, what works well for me and what doesn't. The three guns I've been most accurate with are a CZ75 and a VP40, and the several derivatives of 92 I have. The rest of them I have a little less success with.

Seme of the worst for me were the XDM Tac in .45 (I couldn't hit a barn standing inside it) and FNS-9 (and FNS-9C, which was even worse because I pinched my fat hands on EVERY reload). There seemed to grip/feel good in the store, but after a competition and some range time.. some just didn't measure up to my expectations and I sold them.

The shortest ownership so far was a Beretta PICO 380. Wife and I both couldn't group with that damn thing at 5 yds. and it hit 9" low, no matter what I did. I had it for about 1 week, sold it Wednesday and used the money to buy another CZ75.

If you can rent or borrow and try them out.. I think that's your best bet; you'll find something that works well for YOU.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Also, we have get togethers on the 2nd Saturday of April and October. Attend one of those, and you can probably shoot everything on your list and then some.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    As someone with a tendency to overthink things, I believe you may be doing exactly that (overthinking this), especially if the 'testing' you mentioned was research/paper-based only (as opposed to hands-on). Also, not sure what intended use is other than a single comment above regarding home/self defense, a purpose which Glock excels at...

I'm not a Glock "fanboy" despite enjoying the occasional teasing of other platforms (some of which I actually own one or more of), but the fact is that Glock makes a fine weapon which many of their competitors have tried very hard to replicate.

The ergonomics are a matter of opinion (likely based at least partially on physiological differences), and short of spending a few hours shooting one, I see no way that one could rule it in or out over that. Personally, I love the grip angle/ergonomics on the Glock, feels far more natural to me than some others.

Sights - not sure anyone who carries a Glock keeps the factory sights, just swap them at purchase (with Trijicon/Ameriglo/Meprolight) and be done with it.

Trigger is fine, easy to upgrade if you want (in whole or part), but no need unless you intend on competing with it for group size. In fact, my "main use" (daily carry) glocks have all kept stock factory triggers for several reasons, among them being reliability and adrenaline-management (get that heart pumping and try to manage a 1911 "icicle" trigger). As for actual "real world" performance, have been able to use a stock Glock (except sights) to put rapid doubles/triples on-target from about 20-30 yards away while in a fast-run at an angle to target. Bottom line - they get the job done.

As for pretty, who cares. A Glock is like a good hammer. Take just a little care of it and it'll work nearly forever, will always have some resale value if not completely mangled, and if that happens- big deal, just get another one.

Also, as was mentioned in an earlier post - if you are able to qualify for Blue Label sales, that pricing simply can't be beat with a stick...All of my Glocks are Blue Label, highly recommend going that route if qualified and have appropriate ID/proof...

I did not like what I was reading about the Glock but the nails in the coffin was the actual live fire test of it.

The sights while functional were not what I found to be efficient or practical for their intended use. Had the sights been the only issue with the pistol I would have immediately replaced them upon buying it.

The ergonomics on the Glock was so inferior that *every* single pistol of similar size that I have shot in the past exceeded what I experienced with the Glock. In particular the ergonomics of the Beretta 92 and CZ-75 series of pistols were light years ahead of the Glock.

The trigger was a huge disappointment. The fundamental feel and tactile feedback that I get from a steel trigger was completely absent from the plastic trigger. I think I had a better trigger on the light gun with my old Nintendo Entertainment System then what I experienced with the Glock.

In addition I wish that there was a type of polymer that was more denser and in turn added a bit more weight to the pistol. I general I find the pistol to be too light and I would prefer it to be heavier.

Last edited:

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    The ergonomics on the Glock was so inferior that *every* single pistol of similar size that I have shot in the past exceeded what I experienced with the Glock. In particular the ergonomics of the Beretta 92 and CZ-75 series of pistols were light years ahead of the Glock.

The trigger was a huge disappointment. The fundamental feel and tactile feedback that I get from a steel trigger was completely absent from the plastic trigger. I think I had a better trigger on the light gun with my old Nintendo Entertainment System then what I experienced with the Glock.

I have to agree, especially on the issue of the trigger. Of these 4, which has the lightest, and cleanest breaking SA trigger (hint, the Glock has a 3.5 lb. disconnector, 6 lb. spring and polished trigger bar)?
    IMG_0654.jpg

I doubt I'll sell all of my tupperware guns, but the G34 is only one I still own. The only strikers I'm still infatuated with right now are the VP series from H&K.

HK_VP40_ntm.jpg

Longhorn1986

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2016
    Fort Bend County
    I can only speak for myself, but I have been very happy with my FN 509. It is the only polymer/striker-fired pistol I own and my only nine. I will say that I also really liked the Wather PPQ. It has the best trigger of any P/SF pistol I have shot.

Top Bottom