• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm ok with asking. I had a friend who snapped and committed a gun crime. If it stops that, I'm cool with asking.
    Capitol Armory ad

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I'm ok with asking. I had a friend who snapped and committed a gun crime. If it stops that, I'm cool with asking.

The only way that these questions stop that is if a person who admits to all three has their guns taken away. That's stupid, by the litteral definition of the word. I have had anxiety attacks due to health issues and facing death. I have been depressed due to a bad break up, or facing the possibility of cancer. Life can and has gotten pretty bad for most of us and most of us will get depressed or have anxiety at times in life. That doen't mean any of us would turn to suicide or homicide. I am sure every gun owner in this nation has faced depression or anxiety for some reason or another but that does not mean that we will be violent. You shouldn't be ok with this. You compromise on something like this and they will take more. You can't assume or predict gun violence by knowing the status of someones happiness. Most people will not commit a violent act because of this. We all get down at points in our lives but most of us get over it and move on. This is wrong and it's not open for debate wether it is or not, cause it is wrong. Make sure to voluntarily take your guns to the nearest police station the next time something bad happens in your life cause you JUST MAY get depressed or have anxiety and harm someone or yourself. SEE HOW STUPID THAT SOUNDS!!!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    FTR, I would answer the same as the neighbor. Even if i was depressed. But to think it would never do any good is naive. It's great that you were able to fight through your issues, but there are those who are not so blessed. There are folks out there that need the help.

You seem to have insight on what happens to a yes answer. Or maybe you're just assuming.

The guy I know who had the issues, his son took his guns. Not everyone is that lucky.

Why don't you give us your thoughts on how it should work? When should someone intervene? When someone takes a gun and goes to a business and claims he owns it? When he asks to borrow a cops gun to "take care" of a neighbor?

There's nothing stupid about stopping a person from hurting others, and maybe himself. Don't let your paranoia about how it could affect you, keep you from acknowledging there could be a place for that type of intrusion.

IMO we have to find a compromise to address mental illness in gun owners, or we all stand to lose more of our rights.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    My primary doctor here in Longview ALWAYS ask me gun questions. Like...bought anything new since your last visit? Know where I can buy a cheap AR? Where the best place to buy 5.56 ammo in Longview? (He lives in Shreveport) This is not a joke. Has been my doc for 4 years now and is a huge gun collector. He is a Viet Nam veteran and will spend all the time you want bad mouthing President Obama. I meas he really, really hates him. Guess I'm lucky to have him. Can't wait to see what his take is on all this.
    If I move to longview, I'm asking you for his name.

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    I'm just curious to know WHO it is that makes the decision that you're possibly a threat to yourself or others, a counselor, a doctor, a judge, family member? I'd also like to WHAT constitutes as a mental illness is it as simple as anxiety and depression or is it more like schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder? I've yet to see in print who, what, when, where or why someone is qualified or denied to purchase a firearm because of a mental disorder by way of the new 23 EA's signed, has anyone on here? I do not think that is a cure all to keep guns out of hands that probably shouldn't have them, nothing can prevent that completely but does that mean there shouldn't be anything to try and prevent it from happening?

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I think the questions are going into research so they can compile a statistic to influence policy. X% of our population experiences anxiety and own a gun.

Suicide rates for vets are high in recent years and they want more info. My concern is what they will do with it once they have it

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    We all know that there might some good intentions on their part but I dont want the government having a list of any gun I own.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk 2

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    FTR, I would answer the same as the neighbor. Even if i was depressed. But to think it would never do any good is naive. It's great that you were able to fight through your issues, but there are those who are not so blessed. There are folks out there that need the help.

You seem to have insight on what happens to a yes answer. Or maybe you're just assuming.

The guy I know who had the issues, his son took his guns. Not everyone is that lucky.

Why don't you give us your thoughts on how it should work? When should someone intervene? When someone takes a gun and goes to a business and claims he owns it? When he asks to borrow a cops gun to "take care" of a neighbor?

There's nothing stupid about stopping a person from hurting others, and maybe himself. Don't let your paranoia about how it could affect you, keep you from acknowledging there could be a place for that type of intrusion.

IMO we have to find a compromise to address mental illness in gun owners, or we all stand to lose more of our rights.

There is no paranoia at all about how it could effect me. I'm not selfish. If it worked and helped our nation, I would deal with how it could effect me later. I have no insight to a yes answer cause my doctors and nureses don't care about a person owning firearms, as much as they do about if they are taking their meds and getting care. I do believe we need to adress this mental illness but this isn't the way to go about it and that is not an assumption. You can't set something up like this and expect it to work only on people who will need it, without taking guns from people who are not a threat. This is set up on the back of trying to pre determine a possible crime or violent act with a gun. By your logic, it is also naive to think this will help at all and not do any harm. You obviously can't see that it's not about mental illness as much as it is about finding ways to take guns from anyone possible. That is clear. As far as my thoughts go, I don't think this will work, so I can't elaborate on how to make it work better. Just because someone can identify that something wont work, doesn't mean they should be held to make it work. I know a paper bag won't work as a breathing apparatus in space or underwater but aside from the air tanks and hoses, I don't know how to make it work. But the biggest thing is that I am not interested in submitting ideas on what to do about this. Primarily because all of the variables and things involved that can make a good idea have many flaws. Take away free will and maybe you'll have a solution. Till then, you cannot set something up like this without having negative effects on someone who doesn't deserve it and surely not working well enough, that people who need help and may go commit such an act, will not be identified. Just like everyone in here is suggesting to just say no, if you are one who needs help and lie, how does this work? How will it help when a mentally ill person can just lie? Same concept as gun laws will only effect law abiding citizens. Tell me why you think this will work out so smoothly.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    My next door neighbor who is a Korean War Vet, National model 1911 pistol champion, etc..sent me this e-mail today.

"I went to the hospital where I am to have the Total Knee Replacement done, and was asked the THREE questions.( St. Luke's)
    The admitting nurse told me that they were informed last Monday to start asking the three,
    1) Have you had or have had any anxiety attracts?
    2) Have you been or are you now depressed?
    And if I had answered those two in the affirmative,
    the big one,
    3) Do you have any firearms and/or ammo in your home.
    I answered 'No' to all three and asked what happens if a person answered 'Yes"?
    She said, in Charlene's presence, that it would be reported to Medicare.
    The fatherless folks are going to shove us into a fighting war!"

This is troubling to me

Well yeah there's gonna be no such thing as Doctor/Patient confidentiality anymore. Which will make our health care system even worse than it is. They are also gonna probably broaden the base of conditions that can have a person adjudicated as "mentally ill" to prevent people from buying firearms. This Doctor spying thing is their desperate attempt to compile a database of all gun owners in America. Shameless at that.

What is such bullshit about it is the fact that they have failed to update the NICS database to list those who already HAVE been adjudicated as mentally ill, and these people are allowed to buy guns. Some of them committed random mass shootings. Yet they want to make more laws? Really, they can not enforce the ones they have already, because as Joe Biden put it, "they don't have time".

Unbelievable.

They should just come out and say, "We want to be supreme rulers over the American people because we are jealous of the power China and Russia has over it's people, so we're gonna go ahead and disarm you, to just neuter America for life".

Top Bottom