• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I picked up a Savage stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor recently and wanted to give a review of it, show my upgrades, and go over how it shoots now that I have had it to the range.

I will break the report up into separate posts to make it easier to read and quote to comment or ask questions about.

My initial thoughts on the rifle.

They have been out for a while now and are readily available at Academy and other places for about $1000 or less if you shop around. That may sound expensive but they are designed to compete (as much as possible anyways) with much more expensive custom long range rifles. For how it shoots (more on that later) it is a steal compared to the $3k+ price tag of a custom rifle.

The rifle is an accurized from the factory model 10 action in a chassis system that free floats the barrel and uses a standard AR15 style buffer tube and pistol grip. The bolt is stamped with the last four digits of the serial number so this bolt is definitely made just for this rifle. Savage also uses the older style side bolt release lever that most aftermarket stocks are designed around.

This is a very nice chassis system with an M-lok fore end that accepts their quick attachment rails or other M-lok accessories. The rifle also uses readily available (but expensive) AICS pattern magazines. It comes with one ten round magazine.

The barrel is 24", threaded (5/8x24 w/ thread protector), heavy, fully floated, and fluted. Dollar bill to test if it is floated well? How about a 3/8" gap all around it. You would have to break something to touch the fore end to the barrel.

**A little disclaimer here. As I take it, Savage was going with a 22" barrel but their advertising misprinted and said 24". Mine is a measured 24" but some did get sent out with the original 22" barrels. As I take it, Savage will replace the shorter barrels if the customer requests it. I haven't verified any of this from Savage but know shooters that have been through the process.

The trigger is the excellent Accutrigger that Savage is known for. It is adjustable and very crisp. A tool is included to adjust the trigger from 1.5 pounds to about 4 pounds.

One weak part of the system is the buttstock. While it is adjustable for comb height and length of pull (12.5"- 15"), it has battle rifle written all over it. It does have a little storage area in it which also says battle rifle. It will do the job and must have been in the interest of keeping cost low. Also I assume most buyers already have a replacement in mind since it is very easy to swap out.

My first impression is that this is a well thought out rifle designed for a specific market, namely long range shooters. It also uses easily replaceable parts so each owner can make it their own rifle or shoot it as is from the factory.

66bfa2bfa1ecb693edd0d8aff6bd92ab.jpg
    0947543ac77330aaae44a8e81791192b.jpg
    73159c32cf087d6181ff2caa87eeec76.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Very nice. Range report?

Do you load your own ammo, or intend to shoot ammo off the shelf? If so, made by whom?

At which distance do you wish to shoot it, and where?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Be well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Time to put it together and get it ready for the range. Like most shooters, I have preferences on parts for a rifle.

The rifle comes with a standard Hogue rubber grip but I prefer an Ergo grip with the palm shelf. This grip is thick and has a nice rubber texture to it. DPMS makes one also but it is hard plastic and the palm shelf doesn't lock down very securely. The grip didn't come with a screw though (not sure if it is supposed to) so for a new build plan on finding one.

Savage installed a 0 MOA rail on the rifle from the factory with no thread locker. I don't understand the reasoning for this unless they figure the user has their own preference and will swap it out. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a serious long range round and most scopes will run out of adjustment long before the round falls down. The 0 MOA rail will probably get most scopes out to 1000 yards but not much more. I didn't want to chance it so I ordered a new 20 MOA rail. The Leupold rail comes with #6 and #8 screws (both have thread locker on them) and the Stealth uses the #8 screws. I cleaned all the oil out from under the rail to help keep it secure.

I ordered the same brake that I use on my AR10 as it works very well. It is for a .308 caliber rifle but works well on this rifle too.

**Note: the barrel is threaded but has a little shoulder before the end of the threading. The thread protector has a recess in it for this. I have no idea why it is like that and have not seen it before. You may need more shims or a crush washer to time your brake properly. The thread protector is flipped around backwards in this picture to demonstrate this.

d7db6454bd20d1d270e1325169da7c14.jpg

Since I was borrowing the scope from my AR10 I decided to take the buttstock too since I am used to the feel of it. It is a CAA ARS with a built in monopod. Not the best stock but fully adjustable and solid enough.

While putting it all together I pulled the action from the stock to adjust the trigger. I like about a pound and a half pull and that is as low as this one will go without further work. The stock to action area was also covered in oil and I cleaned all that off too to limit any chance of movement.

I also had a Savage tactical bolt handle that I put on. Not something that I would necessarily order but I do like the extra purchase it allows.

I also sanded off a little bump that my magazine had that was getting hung up while removing it. I threw a cheap Harris style bipod on it but planned on doing all my shooting from front and rear bags.

fa09456917076c2344d16c7ec3053c0b.jpg
    b4936f27761f298e4890a1a095b88e26.jpg
    7686cac59fb2dead354a025e4be05a58.jpg
    8ceebdd22754b01fcec74c10f772097d.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am a reloader and planned on making my own ammo from the get go. I did pick up some Hornady American Whitetail ammo ($18 a box) to season the barrel and to have something handy in case somebody else wants to shoot it. I don't subscribe to any particular barrel break in procedure but know a barrel shoots better with a consistent amount of fouling in it. I keep a bore snake handy and dip it in Hoppe's and pull it through the barrel every 20 rounds or so.

Hornady has recently released a 147 gr ELD M bullet that has a very good ballistic coefficient. I decided to just go right for them as they should work very well for long range shooting. I got them, some Hornady brass, regular Winchester large rifle primers (match are hard to find right now), H4350, and Lee dies.

I am generally a Hornady fan but not of their brass. I have enough to hold me over until Lapua brass is readily available.

These new bullets don't have much data available. Hornady does have data available but I have always found their load data weak. After some research I decided on a load range that started almost a grain above Hornady's max load and ended 3 grains above it.

I measured my chamber and loaded all my rounds 0.020" off the lands. Surprising enough they still fit in the magazines. That doesn't happen often.

During my testing I had no pressure issues but did get to a point where accuracy fell off. The hottest group just would not come together.

2123b411cbd2e55cde51c949c9fc7a51.jpg
    e8f5ea63df6c1a9ec58495e4f81d0793.jpg
    53f2c16ee103597512a19d368c756108.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Alright, to the range.

BTW the scope is a Vortex PST 4-16x50 ffp in Leupold rings.

I shot at TSSR where we had our last Family Reunion meet. It s a nice quiet range but not well suited for precision rifle work. No prone shooting allowed and the benches are all built together in one line on a deck type structure. The roof is built in with it.

Any wind is seen in your reticle as it moves the structure. You also see movement when anybody walks or moves. I could see my reticle move as people worked their bolts on their rifles.

I am not making any excuses for my poor shooting, just mentioning the real world conditions that sometimes affect real world shooting.

I sighted in at 25 yards after bore sighting my rifle. To do that I just remove the bolt and sight through the barrel and scope and adjust until they are as close as possible. This has always easily put me on paper at 25 yards. I shot 6 rounds there, not only to adjust the scope but to adjust the rifle to my liking.

At 100 yards I shot the rest of the first box of the Hornady ammo. This was to get the barrel fouled properly and finalize the adjustments on the rifle before moving on to my load development.

One bore snake and on to the handloads.

Let me just say this rifle will shoot. Given the 40° weather, light wind, and bench movement I put together the best groups of my life. This rifle made it just too easy.

Of fifty rounds fired and ten groups, the average of all groups covering 2.2 grains of powder difference and including all fliers was just 0.84".

I usually allow one flier from each group just for human error. The average of all ten groups minus one round each (four best shots per group) was 0.46".

The worst group (and hottest load) was 1.33" for all five shots. Dropping the worst shot brought that group down to 0.76".

The best group was 0.43" for all five shots. Dropping the worst shot brought it down to 0.31".

This rifle can shoot, plain and simple. As I prep cases more, neck size, and work load development more I fully expect it to consistently shoot 1/4" groups. That is good shooting for a custom rifle, much less a factory gun available over the counter for a third or less than what a custom rifle sells for.

The best three out of five of all the groups fired measure as 0.11", 0.14", and 0.17". It even put three shots of the Hornady factory ammo into a 0.18" group.

I am thoroughly impressed and will update as I get it all fine tuned.

fe1c805fd1663de823f1ec9e68850938.jpg
    aa6190d7462ccb3f815921d42590a675.jpg
    92b762e1c98012b7de73d08fa17274ad.jpg

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That's impressive.
    Real nice external ballistics with that chambering too.
    Should be a real competitor at long range.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Very nice. Range report?

Do you load your own ammo, or intend to shoot ammo off the shelf? If so, made by whom?

At which distance do you wish to shoot it, and where?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Be well.
    Covered most of that but the intention is to mainly shoot long range. While punching little groups is nice, banging steel at long distance is much more rewarding.

This round and my loads should be good for close to a mile.

My 338 Lapua will go further but at twice the price and recoil.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Very nice. I guess you are happy that you got the longer barrel. So jelly.
    I guess longer is better as long as it shoots well.

Honestly if mine had the 22" barrel and shot like this I wouldn't bother with getting it swapped. Now if I did have the short barrel and they let me keep it after the swap I would be all over it.

A couple hundred fps gain (generally) with the longer barrel would help at long distance though.

I guess I don't have to worry about any of that though.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Wish I was still that accurate. With todays rifle and calibers I could have a lot of fun.
    Sounds like a fun affordable long range rifle. Very nice shooting too.

from an idgit coffeeholic

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Nice write up. I would love one of those rifles in 6.5. But purchased a 10T in .308 when they were on sale at Cabelas. One day I'll have one.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    Wow, what a nice rifle. Very informative write up, makes me want to go buy one. I'll be following this thread for sure. Thanks for sharing all this great info!!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I made it out to the range again today. After the first trip I narrowed my powder charge to a half grain range and loaded up 10 each of five different charges in 0.10 grain steps. The goal was to shoot 2 5 shot groups of each test load.

I shot at TSSR again and the benches were just as shaky as last time. If I decide to go any further with testing I will find a range to shoot prone. For now I am okay with the results and am ready to do some long range shooting.

The rifle definitely performed well but the final results were a bit surprising. I fully expected the final powder load to be right in the middle of the test lots. Nine out of ten groups supported my thinking. There always has to be that one group that throws a wrench in the works though. I have had that happen before too.

I shot a five round group with the Hornady White Tail ammo just to get warmed up and started my testing. The first group and group number nine were about 0.80" with the intermediate groups getting smaller then larger again as expected.

The average of all ten groups today was 0.613". Dropping the worst shot of each group (for human error, so 4/5) brought the total average total down to just 0.430". Pretty impressive for a factory rifle in my book.

Some of the better results from today.

00f7acc7f867c2ae6ed172fc02d735e3.jpg
    baee8f8fb85377560e0a0e605f25e753.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really want to call group number ten a bastard group but I just can't do it. It is the group that leaves me trying to figure out what happened.

So group number 9 and 10 are the exact same powder charge. Cases were weighed and sorted, flash holes deburred, bullets weighed, and every charge measured.

The only difference is group 10 ended up with the last oddball bullets. I group them all by 1/10th of a grain and 10 ended up with whatever was left of the box. The bullets varied by maybe half a grain. The odd high and low weighing bullets that didn't make it into a similiar weighted group.

I figured 9 and 10 would start to open back up and 9 was no surprise. I figured 10 would be worse with the odd bullets in it.

This is group 9.

47635ca134358771722dec1909b31cc3.jpg

Not bad and may include a non called flier too.

All the groups to this point had been shot off bags and you can see that my scope needed to be dialed in. Since I was doing that and all the testing was essentially done I figured I would shoot this last group off the bipod (cheap WM item) and the monopod that is built into the stock. Neither are very stable but I just wanted to see how bad it would get.

So group ten, five shots at 100 yards. I didn't even bother trying to measure the best 4 out of 5 on that one.

80a8fea83c7abbd260b3c88ef48d182c.jpg

I don't know how the hell that happened but there it is. The one group that makes me leave the range scratching my head.

The bottom middle is my 5 shot cheap ammo warm up group and bottom right is 10 rounds of the cheap Hornady ammo practicing some rapid fire shooting.

Group number one starts in the upper top left hand corner and goes left to right.

000614b9f149a953cfa1f32169115f10.jpg

As you can see, this thing will put some nice groups together. I am very happy with how it feels to shoot and how it performs.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That is impressive. In April, if not before, I have a couple rifles for you to try. You just proved you are a much better shot than me.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Top Bottom