• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    I like trying new guns. Brand names don't mean much to me. I own a $50 hipoint (another story) as well as more expensive pistols. I tend to have great luck with every gun I buy.

When I saw a SCCY CPX2 at a gunshow last month for 189 out the door, I jumped on it. I figured even if it sucks I can still get most of my money back.

So the next day, I clean the pistol and I go out to my shooting spot with 200 rounds of Remington FMJ. I insert a full magazine and rack the slide....FTF. The nose of the bullet hangs halfway up the feed ramp. I think, "ok...maybe it needs a few rounds through it for a good break-in." First mag has 5 more FTFs. They need a little bump on the back of the slide to help the gun go into battery. Second mag gets through all 10 with only 3 FTFs. 3rd mag has 2 in a row. On the 3rd round I'm able to pull the trigger all the way back without the hammer being released. I let off the trigger a millimeter and BANG! The gun goes off. For the remainder of that magazine I'm able to reproduce this problem by slowly pulling the trigger. I pack up and go home.

I get home and take the gun apart. The recoil spring had failed and started to balloon out. The "ballooned" spring started rubbing against the aluminum "chassis" of the pistol. In the pictures you can see the plastic retainer has also cracked. The feed ramp is possibly the worst I've ever seen. There's a visible hump halfway up it and the entire ramp has a rough texture to it. Not impressed.

I call SCCY and CS sends me a shipping label. They pay all the shipping and I have the gun back exactly a week later. I'm impressed.

I open the fedex package and find a new recoil spring, new magazines, and trigger assembly has been installed. The feed ramp has a slightly better texture to it, though I can still see the hump in it. The gun is also packed with grease.

I try part 2 with the remainder of the 200 rounds. They all fire without a single malfunction.

Now I take it a step further and grab a box of Federal HST and a box of Sig V-Crown. After all, a defensive pistol should reliably feed hollowpoints, right? Insert mag. Rack slide. FTF. Every round fails to go into battery without a little "help." Gotta be the hump in the feed ramp. I pack up and go home again. This time with a plan to fix this gun before I get rid of it.

I get home and get out the dreaded Dremel. I carefully remove that pesky hump in the feed ramp and polish it perfectly smooth and mirrorlike.

Now I go out for part 3 with 50 FMJ and 90 hollowpoints (sig and federal again). Insert mag. Rack slide....gun is ready. I proceed to fire every round without a problem. I pack up and go home. I clean and inspect the pistol and everything is great.

2 days later I trade it in for a Springfield XDs 9mm. My LGS gave me $150 for the SCCY. I may have fixed it but it will forever have that "junk gun" stigma for me. Good riddance.
    20180624_142251.jpg
    20180624_142533.jpg
    20180624_142522.jpg
    20180703_210258.jpg

Reactions: MTA

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have one and fired 400 rounds without a hitch. I guess you got a bad one. I would say customer service was good, but they did not "fix" it!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have one, because like you, I couldn’t pass it up for the price.
    I have only shot mine a few times, but have had no failures, yet.
    I wouldn’t trust it to carry it, and never planned to.
    My biggest gripe was the muzzle flip. I have never shot a 9mm that wants to jump out of your hand the way this thing does. It’s unreal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    I wish their QC was as good as their CS. I also would never trust such a pistol as a carry weapon, no matter how reliable it has run. Thankfully, this wasn't bought out of necessity, only curiosity. But I know many people who may have limited funds and may consider this particular gun as a first gun, a carry weapon, or for home defense. Considering my sample-of-one has a 100% failure rate, I'm steering clear of SCCY in the future. I do wish mine performed flawlessly, I liked it before I shot it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Xds will do you good. If you ever have issues with feeding pm me. Its a geometry issue on the face of the extractor. Otherwise good guns.

Sometimes on these cheaper guns I have found it a good idea to take apart the mag and inspect the follower. Sometimes mold lines will prevent them from being pushed up fully by the spring. They will bind on the mag body. This happened with my lcp2.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Thanks will do. So far the XDS has run 200 rounds with no problems, besides my thumb riding on the slide lock. But that's no fault to the gun. I also have an XD subcompact that has run a little over 400 rounds with 0 issues. I didn't think I'd like them, but the XD series is solid.

As to the follower issue, it may have contributed to the problems in my initial shooting session as they replaced the magazines when they tried to repair the gun. But, if it was a problem, it was one of many.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I wanted to get a sccy as a backpack/backup gun but I will pass now. Lol.

The xds is a great gun and hides well. You will love it. Enjoy it!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Actually their QC processes are more involved than most. One of the TV gun shows had a factory tell al and focused a decent amount of time on their QC.

You're the first I heard who had issues. Dont mean much as I'm hardly "gun world traveled" but I did do some research and stayed at A Holiday Inn recently where I placed a gun mag with skky review under my pillow and slept in the next morning.

Was yours new when you bought it? What generation or how long again was it manufactured.

I just ask as I almost/ might still picked up 5 of them for gifts to family members. Thus the research

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    Mine was new. It was also of the newest generation as it had the updated recoil spring and retainer, which failed. My online research before I bought one also had glowing reviews. Deeper research showed quite a few problems. From what I've seen it's a 50/50 chance. Either it falls apart or you have a great shooting gun.

2 things I think are important to mention:

1. You never know which reviews are paid promotions. And that goes with any gun, not just SCCY.

2. Most people buy a gun and shoot less than 50 rounds through it in their lifetime. Hard to have problems with a gun you never shoot.

YMMV, of course. Heck, I got a HiPoint that i consider very reliable and we all know the stigma attached to those ugly bricks.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    My SCCY came from my son, a LEO who bought it new. He fired 200 rounds through it to function test it. It was to be a backup, truck gun, etc. I ended up with it in a trade. I also fired 200 rounds through it to function test it and get used to it. No failures throughout the 400 rounds, using two magazines with various types of ammo.

I trust it as much as I do most other guns in that price-range - mostly milsurp stuff like P-64's, P-83's, and the smaller Beretta blowbacks. Heck, I have had high $ handguns that functioned poorly and had to cover the expense to repair them due to lack of warranty or customer service!

The WORST experiences I've had had with reliability in auto pistols involved two Walther PPK's (not PPKS's) that I owned over the years. I sold or traded them (full disclosure of course), but now routinely carry a Walther PPK that eats anything you feed it!

My point - you always run the risk of getting a bad one. I NEVER consider carrying a weapon until I have run the "200 rounds without a failure" drill. At least SCCY has good customer service.

I don't think it is fair to call it "today's Saturday Night Special". They are far superior to the Raven .25 autos from back in-the-day!

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Yeah at the sub 200 or sub 250 price point the PT111 is definitely a better choice. A former student of mine that I shoot with, his grandfather bought that SCCY (I have no idea why the man owns 20,000 dollar guns I guess he just wanted one) and we shot it at the range back in April or May. The double action was awful (it's DA only I believe) and the muzzle flip was the worst I've seen from any handgun I've ever fired. I don't remember a reliability problem, but I'd much rather shoot a Hi-point or a Taurus PT111. If we're ever recommending low end guns I think SCCY has to be on the bottom of the list. Of the 3 the Taurus is probably your best bet but if you spend 30 dollars more you can get a Shield and I make that my car/backpack gun.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    At my old job I got to test fire guns. The pt111 for the money is a good choice. For guns between 230 to 310 new I would say the pt111, the ruger sr9 e, and the eaa witness polymer frame.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have a PT111 and it has been nothing but reliable. I don't carry it, but it stays close at hand at home in case it's needed. If I were on a budget, I would have no qualms in it being my primary self-defense weapon; but as I am able to afford better quality firearms (Springfield XDs), I default to them.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    My two current carry guns are my xds and cz 75 compact. I carry my cz 90 percent of the time because I just shoot it better. The xds just hides so well though. Appendix iwb is how I carry my xds. I'm not the greatest shot with my xds though.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Invest in the PRP trigger parts went from 7.5lb to 5lb pull

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    my XDs 45 that I got right after the recall got PRP springs before I ever shot it. Trigger pull is right at 3.5-4lbs

fucking laser for 3.3"

7y at a moderate pace. As fast as I could re-acquire, not quite rapid fire

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    05f73326ae512d1f7bb16083498bd472.jpg

Top Bottom