• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. I think I'm going to build a wide bench seat next to the two stationary seats to give a little more adjustability for a shooter, as well as more seating.

I really want to keep everything somewhat secured so I don't have to bother strapping stuff down when I'm ready to move locations.

After reading through the comments, I plan on adding paneling around the outsides of the bench table, adding another shelf for storage and add a wide seating bench.

A friend of mine requested that I attached a small grill to the trailer, just big enough for a few burgers and dogs. I laughed at the idea, but I'm starting to consider it!
    Guns International

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    OOOOHHHHH..... I love that shop!

Suggestions? I'm a big guy and always look at what I'm sitting on with a careful eye. The seats are mounted on two separate planks. A big guy could really get those to wobble. A larger plate at the bottom attached to more of the planks would sturdy it up.

I like the project! Nice job!

Flash

Thanks! I was worried about the seats having some give to them being on 2 different boards, so underneath I put 1/2" plate so the boards are sandwiched between the top and bottom plates. Surprisingly sturdy but that's coming from a 160lb person haha.

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Why a fixed seat? A simple rack up front to hold folding chairs gives almost infinite adjustment.

roof design will be critical pulling it at 70mph.
    i've seen a few BBQ trailers that have a telescoping designed roof. More engineering but makes an easier towing package.

tripod stability is great for supporting mass at the center. But walking off the trailer in front of the tires might cause some teetering especially if the person exiting is a robust individual and carrying a 50 cal with 100 rounds of ammo.

just a few ideas playing devils advocate.

great idea and a great project.
    That pretty much hits the biggest things I had thought about with it: You're already at three trailer jacks, just make it four and you will increase the stability a lot, I would imagine: you could probably do standard "trailer jack" duty with just one corner as far as unhitching the trailer. I woudn't worry much about it really teetering from a safety perspective, just too much leverage there.., but somebody throws a foot up there while you're shooting and I think you'd definitely see some effect..

I definitely concur with the loose seats, maybe height-adjustable office chairs? You'd have to put some type of rail on the side to keep them in: somebody slides the seat back to get "settled in", and the back legs fall off the trailer? Damned entertaining if you're not the one in the chair..

I really prefer a shooting bench with a "return" coming up your side, rather than just a straight table. Just seems a whole lot easier to get set up the way I want it..

Marlowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    out in the boonies
    Wheels off the ground is probably excessive: all you have to do is negate any effect the springs and tire flexibility have. That's a whole lot less of a "jacking" than picking the whole thing up. Just make the jacks touch the ground and you've got the same effect, anything more would just be for leveling. At that point, the spring simply can't compress without the jacks stopping any travel.

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Got the main roof framing done and screwed the tin down. Need to go back and brace it, do the awnings, and trim one side of the tin.
    EEB89AC1-26D0-4959-990D-458CCF332E25-2926-000002B0B289E2C0_zps12494b95.gif

9E13F232-0A83-4E29-AD5F-26E749B635C6-2926-000002B0CC889604_zps0694c062.gif

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Wheels off the ground is probably excessive: all you have to do is negate any effect the springs and tire flexibility have. That's a whole lot less of a "jacking" than picking the whole thing up. Just make the jacks touch the ground and you've got the same effect, anything more would just be for leveling. At that point, the spring simply can't compress without the jacks stopping any travel.

If you plan on taking any long shots. You will be surprised. Sure came out real nice.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    My opinion. Three jacks is better than 4.
    you can't jack one up and lift another corner off the ground with 3.
    You almost always will with 4. Experience of 5 years in an RV.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    Angle iron rectangle frame bolted to the floor to house "whatever size" Igloo cooler. Frame height is determined by the distance between the handles, in the down position. and the trailer floor. This suggestion come from way to many years spent on a BBQ trailer. Cover the sides with expanded metal and you've got an open air box for temporary storage for a lot of misc. debris/trash.

hardcase60

camartin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    Ft. Worth
    Matt, go to home depot and get some post bases for your table. Also, I would extend your tubing up on the front and back and then install a piece across the roof from side to side so that even if it comes loose going down the road it won't fold your tin up or rip it completely off. Better safe than sorry. Might add some 45degree braces in the corners. 1 1/2" tubing is pretty strong but, at that height it can bend going down the road especially if you are going against the wind. Saw your post on the other place as well. Looking good.

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Matt, go to home depot and get some post bases for your table. Also, I would extend your tubing up on the front and back and then install a piece across the roof from side to side so that even if it comes loose going down the road it won't fold your tin up or rip it completely off. Better safe than sorry. Might add some 45degree braces in the corners. 1 1/2" tubing is pretty strong but, at that height it can bend going down the road especially if you are going against the wind. Saw your post on the other place as well. Looking good.

You sir have given me some things to consider, thanks for the ideas, I'll definitely rework a few things.

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Got a few things done lately, sorry for the lack of updates. Anyways the awnings are on, small seating bench built, rear jacks are welded on. I need to put a few more screws in the tin and mount my new tires then I'll be ready to start enjoying it!

3CD524ED-CD03-48CE-8712-5E053F4948D5.gif

0ACF119B-7B4F-4929-8FD8-A98E81FCAE26.gif

Matt_g

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Looks good to me. As you use it, you will refine it.

Do the side awnings pivot out/up?

Yeah the awnings fold out, so I get (up to) an additional 6ft of shade.

There probably will be things I change as I use it, but that's all part of it!

Top Bottom