• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have an NAA in .22 lr with the 1" barrel and folding plastic grip.

I ran across a decent priced .22mag version with a 1.65" barrel at a local pawn. What are your thoughts? Does the mag offer much more energy in that short of a barrel? I once had a .22 mag Derringer and I remember it having a fearsome muzzle blast! I don't need it if it's not going to outperform the .22lr I already have.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I honestly don't know. It has been years, but I remember a HUGE fireball and muzzle blast from the .22 mag derringer. I'm talking to the point of bystanders cursing and begging me not to fire again. I figured any potential increase in velocity was lost in the powder flare!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    You’ll gain some velocity/striking energy with a WMR bullet. The bullet is slightly heavier construction so penetration will be better.
    The blast and report are very very loud. You do not want to fire it without hearing protection.
    There is special short barrel ammo avialable now. I use the Speer Gold Dot 40grn in my NAA. The Hornady Critical Defense is good too.
    IMO its better than 22LR for defense.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Utube test of 22lr, 22mag were same on penitration, only short was a weakling but it did tumble.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Forgive me for speculating here but I'm recalling prior thread hypothesizing.

The 22 mag uses slower burning powders than does the 22lr because the mag is optimized for long rifles barrels whereas the 22ls is quite commonly shot out of pistols. Ergo, out of very short barrels the 22lr just might achieve higher velocities than the mag.

The little mini revolvers are just Lilliputian-cool and are definitely a "weapon of last resort". No-one wants to ever be shot with anything so a tiny pistol is always preferable to no pistol.

Hmmmmm. Need to enlist my buddy with his chronograph.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have one with a 4 inch barrel. Never but it to a chronograph though. Would be nice to find out.
    And yes, I do sometimes carry it. Something is almost always better than nothing. It is my " WTF, I have nothing to lose at this point" gun. It is accurate though and I shoot it very well.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    As stated, even if muzzle velocity is a wash the bullet selection for the 22 Mag is much more suited for PD. If you are ever in a position to really need it then get every advantage you can.

I have my NAA mini revolver in 22 Mag on me at all times. Definitely not my first option but better than a pointy stick.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As stated, even if muzzle velocity is a wash the bullet selection for the 22 Mag is much more suited for PD. If you are ever in a position to really need it then get every advantage you can.

I have my NAA mini revolver in 22 Mag on me at all times. Definitely not my first option but better than a pointy stick.

This guy does alright with pointy sticks.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Forgive me for speculating here but I'm recalling prior thread hypothesizing.

The 22 mag uses slower burning powders than does the 22lr because the mag is optimized for long rifles barrels whereas the 22ls is quite commonly shot out of pistols. Ergo, out of very short barrels the 22lr just might achieve higher velocities than the mag.

The little mini revolvers are just Lilliputian-cool and are definitely a "weapon of last resort". No-one wants to ever be shot with anything so a tiny pistol is always preferable to no pistol.

Hmmmmm. Need to enlist my buddy with his chronograph.

From what I can gather with the newer critical defense ammo now available..the .22 WMR can deliver some significant increase in stopping power over the .22 LR in short barelled guns mainly due to using faster burning powders. I wouldnt hestitate to buy the little gun. They come in very handy and as mentioed it certainly would beat a handfull of rocks in a tense situation. The little devils also have a lifetime warranty.
    https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rimfire/22-wmr-45-gr-ftx-critical-defense#!/

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Hornady CD ammo is pretty good.
    I keep that and the Speer Gold Dot HP in the NAA.
    That ammo is designed for short barreled 22magnum.
    Any of the "rifle" ammo like CCI, Aquila, Winchester, etc will have significant muzzle blast.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Does it have a trigger guard? If memory serves correct, it doesn't.

If it doesn't, I'd be leery.....
    I've been lugging my NAA .22 LR around since 82 and have never been impacted by the lack of trigger guard. Not sure how adding one could help it much. What does help the little guns immeasurably is called a holster grip. It can be a contortionist nightmare and require two hands to see the sights and shoot it at the same time without it. Adding it is a blessing..allowing it to be fired one handed..see the sights etc. Does add a bit of bulk for carrying in the shirt pocket but worth the tradeoff. Hopefully the perspective new gun already has the feature.
    https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...ster-grip-polymer-black-ghglc-744253052002.do

Top Bottom