• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Using your logic, same applies to the ISIS fighter, who have no "rules".
    Keep trying ...

I agree. Someone shouldn't join ISIS unless they are willing to follow the rules of ISIS. Hence my lack of sympathy for the stupid women that joined them and now want out.

And they have rules. But their rules are foreign to us because we are not psychotic animals and value human life. Hence the reason our soldiers are also not allowed to rape women and children when entering a city. Ya know, we have different rules. Don't join if you don't want to follow them.

Keep tryin...
    Guns International

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I can see the issue with him sniping at civilians. Though I would guess he thought they were insurgents. But the ISIS guy?

I was under the impression we sent them over there to kill ISIS.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I can see the issue with him sniping at civilians. Though I would guess he thought they were insurgents. But the ISIS guy?

I was under the impression we sent them over there to kill ISIS.

Only until the lawyers and politicians in uniform can make career points ... then the grunt gets the short end of the stick.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya
    YG, I understand the issue of morality particularly with firing on civilians when your ROE prohibits doing so (without going into all the nit-picky details for the sake of simplicity). But a wounded combatant is a threat. Without a clearly defined opord stating to the contrary, eliminating a threat is the goal.

How does morality fit into that? You have a valid argument when you look at the moral and ethical aspect of killing but combat is a different species of beast. Seeing it on the screen cannot be compared to the experience.

Training, conditioning, the desire to live, fear, anger, sadness, confusion, awareness, there are SO many emotions going through your mind you don’t have time to think about it. You just do it. If you obsessed over the moral dilemmas about the combatant you just shot you’d be ineffective. That can be a death sentence to both you and your teammates.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    YG, I understand the issue of morality particularly with firing on civilians when your ROE prohibits doing so (without going into all the nit-picky details for the sake of simplicity). But a wounded combatant is a threat. Without a clearly defined opord stating to the contrary, eliminating a threat is the goal.

How does morality fit into that? You have a valid argument when you look at the moral and ethical aspect of killing but combat is a different species of beast. Seeing it on the screen cannot be compared to the experience.

Training, conditioning, the desire to live, fear, anger, sadness, confusion, awareness, there are SO many emotions going through your mind you don’t have time to think about it. You just do it. If you obsessed over the moral dilemmas about the combatant you just shot you’d be ineffective. That can be a death sentence to both you and your teammates.

The combatant was captured, per the article I read. Maybe things changed since I was there, but during my time POWs weren’t to be stabbed to death.

This also came out do you guys in his platoon (maybe Navy has a different name, team?) reported it after being threatened with retribution if they spoke out. That heightens my suspicions that this wasn’t in the heat of battle.

Maybe he was suffering severe PRSD at that point, IDK. Doesn’t seem like the defense is going in that direction though.

And I’m not talking about anything on the screen. I did my time in Iraq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

I agree, although this apparently wasn't done "in the heat of combat".

Then again, "malice aforethought" arguably has no place in second guessing when a lethal force, for that is what an ISIS fighter represents, can be dispatched in a combat zone.

I understand the Geneva Convention, but I don't call in Terminix to show mercy to cockroaches.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree, although this apparently wasn't done "in the heat of combat".

Then again, "malice aforethought" arguably has no place in second guessing when a lethal force, for that is what an ISIS fighter represents, can be dispatched in a combat zone.

I understand the Geneva Convention, but I don't call in Terminix to show mercy to cockroaches.

I don’t think we will reach much agreement here so I’m gonna bow out.

Gonna get back to the gun stuff and HiPoint bashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I don’t think we will reach much agreement here so I’m gonna bow out.

Gonna get back to the gun stuff and HiPoint bashing.

Business as usual for bofus. ;)
    And, as usual, no hard feelings.
    You are a worthy debater ...

ETA: and, always, amazed at how fast you can type on that damn phone.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Some of y’all seem to not understand Rules of Engagement apply to the military and they cover more than just who you can engage. And under what circumstances. The ROE has a specific chapter on treatment of Enemy Prisoners of War (EPWs).

Additionally, ordering subordinates to lie about it is not just obstruction, it’s an illegal order, one not to be obeyed.

These alleged acts, committed by a senior noncommissioned officer and enlisted leader, constitutes failing to obey direct orders, undermining the entire military concept of good order and discipline, which is wholly unacceptable.

What you see in this article is the prime reason why we take an oath to protect and defend a document, and to obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. You don’t just get to phone it in and get your lawyer to shed crocodile tears trying to convince Congress to backup the decision break that oath.

birddog

bullshit meter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    nunya

I was under the impression we sent them over there to kill ISIS

Civilian combatants make for complicated dynamics.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Some of y’all seem to not understand Rules of Engagement apply to the military and they cover more than just who you can engage.

If you can write that, then you also understand that ROE's, just like "the battle plan", rarely survive the battle intact. ;)

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    If you can write that, then you also understand that ROE's, just like "the battle plan", rarely survive the battle intact. ;)

I hear what your saying, but shit don’t change that wildly, that fast. Especially when it concerns non-combatants and EPWs.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWXV6FHe43Ajn5S_5wn_mj6CJiuFfViF9VeuMP34iJXhlx2x20zA.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWXV6FHe43Ajn5S_5wn_mj6CJiuFfViF9VeuMP34iJXhlx2x20zA.jpg
      images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWXV6FHe43Ajn5S_5wn_mj6CJiuFfViF9VeuMP34iJXhlx2x20zA.jpg
      6.7 KB · Views: 246

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Thinking back to another seal team mission..if those seals that were on Operation Red Wings had have went ahead and killed those Afghan Goat herder insurgents, none of the Hell that came down killing all of Marcus Lutrells team and that whole helo full of the rescue teams wouldn't have happened and they would be alive today
    Lots of widows and orphaned American children that day that we traded for the lives of those POS

Top Bottom