• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Well I put the new wolff sear spring in and took it to the range. The trigger was sticking more than normal. It used to MAYBE stick once a range trip, maybe twice, Sometimes not at all. This time it was awful.

After I put my .22 conversion on it, it didn't stick at all. So I'm thinking that it's dragging on the .45 mags. I should have paid more attention to which mag we were using when it happened to see if it was just one of them (I have 3).
    Venture Surplus ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The trigger moves freely by itself in the frame, but when I install the mag release, slide and a full mag it binds up. Not much, but there is friction.

You were thisclose to a good troubleshooting exercise.....

Install the mag release...how's the trigger.
    Install the mag release and slide....how's the trigger.
    Install the mag empty....how's the trigger.
    Install the mag full....how's the trigger.

I'm thinking that you've got an after-market trigger that ain't in spec, which is causing it to bind on the mag. If everything is okay until you insert the mag, I'd replace that trigger, or lay it out on a piece of glass an' tweak things until they're straight...

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    You were thisclose to a good troubleshooting exercise.....

Install the mag release...how's the trigger.
    Install the mag release and slide....how's the trigger.
    Install the mag empty....how's the trigger.
    Install the mag full....how's the trigger.

I'm thinking that you've got an after-market trigger that ain't in spec, which is causing it to bind on the mag. If everything is okay until you insert the mag, I'd replace that trigger, or lay it out on a piece of glass an' tweak things until they're straight...

Well it doesn't bind with an empty mag, mag release and slide installed. The only thing that seemed to affect it was the full mag.

I'll try the glass thing in a little bit when I ta\ear it down again. I'll be able to do a detail strip like Major Payne soon!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That just doesn't make sense...I know it's doing it - have NO reason to doubt ya...it just doesn't make sense. Wish you were closer....we could tear into it and do some comparison's.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I ordered a Wilson flat trigger and it came in today. Before I got started messing with the new trigger I thought I would check all of my mags full with just the original trigger installed. It only drug on one mag. My original Kimber that I upgraded with Tripp spring and follower. My 2 Checkmates added no resistance. I'm thinking it's just the one mag. I'll leave it alone and pay attention to the mags at my next range trip and double check that it's just that one.

I did briefly install the flat trigger and the overtravel screw turned too easily so I guess it needs Loctite. Since I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing, I'll wait until a more qualified person (Aaron maybe) can do it for me. I did like the feel of the flat trigger and I want to try it out at the range.

IMAG0613.jpg

What do you think?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Just got back from the range, trying out my new Buckmark. I tried out my Kimber paying attention to the mags. Sure enough, the Kimber mag makes my trigger stick. Works fine with the Checkmates.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'd love to get my hands on that mag and do some measuring, etc......if I promise NOT to screw it up an' to send it back ASAP (along with an honest attempt to properly fix it if it can be), wouldja be willin' ta send it?

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I'd love to get my hands on that mag and do some measuring, etc......if I promise NOT to screw it up an' to send it back ASAP (along with an honest attempt to properly fix it if it can be), wouldja be willin' ta send it?

Sure, PM your address and I'll throw it in the mail. I won't be using it.

Top Bottom