• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It not completely unusual in my experience. A lot of these old radio software never gets updated. I have heard about others with various unique communication software that will only run in Win XP, Win 98, Win 95 or even older. Usually virtualization can work but I think really old software from the 286 and 386 era will need some unique emulation to possibly get it working as I don't believe modern virtualization can go back that far and emulate those older CPU's. You might be able to run a TSR in the background to slow down the processing to that of an older CPU but with that we are going into details that require some nerd skills. LOL.

m5215,

In point of fact is if INNOCENT LIVES depend on the radio system being 100% reliable (for example after a major hurricane, earthquake, etc.), make mine a GE Master Exec III & running about 25 watts out & into a gain antenna on a really TALL building or a mountaintop.
    (During the immediate aftermath of CAMILLE, "the voice of Corpus Christi" was a PS repeater on 162.??? MHZ, into a 9DB gain antenna at about 800 feet above the surrounding terrain.)

yours, satx
    Guns International

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    m5215,

Inpoint of fact is INNOCENT LIVES depend on the radio system is 100% reliable (for example after a major hurricane, earthquake, etc.), make mine a GE Master Exec III & running about 25 watts out & into a gain antenna on a really TALL building or a mountaintop.
    (During the immediate aftermath of CAMILLE, "the voice of Corpus Christi" was a PS repeater on 162.??? MHZ, into a 9DB gain antenna at about 800 feet above the surrounding terrain.)

yours, satx

Very true words there. I have no HAM equipment but I have been listening for years (scanners). I even was the senior tech at Uniden Corporation for about 5 years supporting their trunking scanners and other radio equipment. That was a cool job as I was into scanners years before I worked for them.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    m5215; All,

VERY COOL. = I wish that I knew even 10% of what you had to know to do that job.

In the "run up" to the Millinieum, I was assigned to a major hospital center in Fairfax County, VA & a LOT of expensive equipment went DOWN at Midnight. - The ONE thing that worked 100% was the hospital's comm center & that was based on a GE Master "drawer unit" at 20 Watts output & into a HIGH-GAIN/homemade antenna system on a VERY tall building.

yours, satx

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I believe the problem is the fact it needs a serial connection. An emulator wouldn't do the job.

It actually can work under the scenario of using a serial to usb adapter on the host system and then the emulation software bridging that usb serial port into the emulated environment and having it presented to the software there as a standard serial port.

In a similar scenario I can bridge one of my MIDI modules such as my Yamaha MU2000 using a MIDI connector via USB into DOSBOX and have the DOS game connect to it like it was an old school ISA card with a MIDI module connected to it. The MIDI music on those old DOS games sounds incredible on an Yamaha MU2000 or Roland SD-90 which existed many years after the games came out. :)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    m5215,

I believe you 100%.
    I never thought that I'd ever be closer to LIVE with Patsy Cline than I was with my old studio recording of her on my old professional quality WEBCOR reel to reel & out of my REAL Klippsch's corner/mid-channel horns. = I was WRONG as the remastered & digitalized recordings are BETTER.
    (Btw, Paul Klipsch SIGNED the inside of my speakers in ink, at my insistence.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    m5215,

I believe you 100%.
    I never thought that I'd ever be closer to LIVE with Patsy Cline than I was with my old studio recording of her on my old professional quality WEBCOR reel to reel & out of my REAL Klippsch's corner/mid-channel horns. = I was WRONG as the remastered & digitalized recording are BETTER.
    (Btw, Paul Klipsch SIGNED the inside of my speakers in ink, at my insistence.)

yours, satx

When the analog masters are properly & carefully digitally remastered they can be incredible to hear but not many recording studios have the talent or patience to really put out a great remastered product but it does happen on occasion.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...not many recording studios have the talent or patience to really put out a great remastered product...
    QFT.

To illustrate how pervasive the problem is, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band reissues have been mostly heartbreaking. It's a long story that wouldn't be interesting to most folks but the point is that even a huge milestone in music history like Sgt. Pepper can have the remasters go right off the rails. After multiple remastered reissues, the best stereo version of Sgt. Pepper is still something pressed back in the 1960s. That's a real shame.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    QFT.

To illustrate how pervasive the problem is, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band reissues have been mostly heartbreaking. It's a long story that wouldn't be interesting to most folks but the point is that even a huge milestone in music history like Sgt. Pepper can have the remasters go right off the rails. After multiple remastered reissues, the best stereo version of Sgt. Pepper is still something pressed back in the 1960s. That's a real shame.

FYI
    Look for a private remastered release. I have seen private individuals with the right equipment and expertise play vinyl in such as way as it is better than normal then capture that recording digitally and then do their own remastering. One example of this that I have is much better than the big recording studio remastered release of the same album.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ZX9RCAM,

UNDERSTOOD 100%. = As a fanatic about the C&W/Bluegrass music of the 1920s-early 1960s, I'm "quietly losing" my hearing quality/ability because of damage from gunfire (from the Army) & wonder how much longer that I'll be able to really enjoy it..

Turning up the VOLUME doesn't help much & ampilfilication often actually makes things WORSE.

yours, satx

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    What radios are you trying to program? GE Master II's don't need a computer. It sounds like you are looking for Motorola stuff. There is a free program called Radio Doctor which will program the GM300's. I run it on a Pentium under Win XP and it works fine. My computer does have a serial port.

Go to repeater-builder.com for more info about repeaters than you ever thought existed.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    avvidclif,

MIDLAND, KENWOOD & some of the GE stuff. = I'm looking at buying 17 GE radios that can be reprogrammed for a project that I'm working on.

YEP, I know about the GE Master stuff. - As is usual, this thread has "wandered" all over the place.

yours, satx

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    avvidclif,

MIDLAND, KENWOOD & some of the GE stuff. = I'm looking at buying 17 GE radios that can be reprogrammed for a project that I'm working on.

YEP, I know about the GE Master stuff. - As is usual, this thread has "wandered" all over the place.

yours, satx

I have some Kenwood software but no GE. Repeater Builder will tell you what you need according to model

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    avvidclif,

What I need right now is the cable/software for a MIDLAND Model 70-1342B, that my brother gave me.
    (The cable at retail is more $$$$$ than the radio is worth.)

I found someone who has the stuff BUT he lives a 5 hour round-trip from me & doesn't want to do the reprogramming by mail.

yours, satx.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom