• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    So I need a case for firearms and associated equipment that'll pass TSA scrutiny. Interior dimensions need to be at least 39x12x10 inches. Anyone have any recommendations?

Pelican 1740 case looks perfect, but unfortunately way out of the budget. Also had a question about the pelican... It doesn't look like the latches lock on it. Are you just supposed to put pad locks on it?

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So I need a case for firearms and associated equipment that'll pass TSA scrutiny. Interior dimensions need to be at least 39x12x10 inches. Anyone have any recommendations?

Pelican...

Pelican 1740 case looks perfect, but unfortunately way out of the budget. Also had a question about the pelican... It doesn't look like the latches lock on it. Are you just supposed to put pad locks on it?

The case itself doesn't lock, it's got steel reinforced tabs to use a padlock.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Read this:

Packing & the Friendly Skies

Watch this:

[video=vimeo;3923535]http://www.vimeo.com/3923535[/video]

Buy yourself one of these and a rock solid lock:

Ammo Can, 81 mm [134201] - $14.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products

Whatever you do, just do not use those crappy TSA locks. They are easy to break into and actually it's probably a violation of federal law to use those things since so many airport employees apparently have keys that can get into them.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Thanks, Sig_Fiend. That's the kind of out of the box thinking I need. That ammo can is a tad small, but might work if I take the stock off. I'm going to keep looking for a box that better fits my dimensions, but it's good to know you can use nearly any hard sided box as long as it locks.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't remember what the Plano cases are like. Main thing to look for is if the material is flimsy enough that someone could slip a screwdriver in the seam, pry up, and get at the contents inside. Lots of plastic rifle cases that come from the factory with long guns are flimsy like that, and that Plano does appear like it might be.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    In case anyone is wondering, I bought one of these: PLANO SPORTSMAN LOCKER
    Great price from Academy... I was a little skeptical about it at first because it does seem flimsy, but after reading some reviews on it I decided to give it a go. One thing to note was that the it looked like the folks putting the lids on didnt really know how to do it right. Don't know if the problem is at the factory or Academy warehouse, but out of the 4 they had, all but one's hinges had been messed up from carelessly putting them together. I saw a huge stack of them at Cabelas as well and none of the hinges I saw were borked up there so I'm guessing its an Academy issue.

When I got the trunk home I wanted to test it out to see how it'd do. I loaded it up with about 30lbs of stuff and was about to drop it off the second floor of the house into the foyer but my girlfriend freaked out yelling "You're going to break the tile!!!" So I turned around, opened the window and threw it out... It hit the sidewalk leading to the front door and bounced into the grass... Hardly even a scratch. I think it can handle the baggage monkeys.

For future reference I found a fantastic trunk at Home Depot for $60: Stanley Hand Tools :* 037025R *-* Stanley® Mobile Tool Chest
    This thing is VERY sturdy. I sat on it, let my legs dangle, and it didn't even buckle... I'm 250lbs. Best trunk out there for the money hands down. I would have bought it instead of the Plano, but I'm not going to need quite that much space, plus it would have cost more to take it on the plane because of its size. They have a smaller version as well if you don't need something quite that large.

Top Bottom