• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Ok, want to clean up and repaint some steel outdoor furniture. Hate the thought of spending hours and hours with a drill spinning a wire brush into the mesh top and seats to do it. Also, want a smoother finish than if I used a rust converter or a chemical rust remover to kill the cancer on the stuff.

So I thought about sandblasting it. Never done it, don't know a lot about it. I figure it can't be that hard to do. Looking for advice. Can I reuse the sand if I collect it on a tarp or something? Would it create enough over-spray or a mess that I might piss off the neighbors if I did it on the driveway? (I figure it's too much dust to do in a garage.)

Found this at Harbor Freight, I know it's probably hobby grade, but I am not looking for an everyday thing. Might use it a couple of times a year at most. Got to work on the 4 wheeler trailer soon, so will probably use it to prep for paint there also. Don't want to drop a lot of coin on it. Already got a compressor that exceeds it's requirements.

20 Lb. Pressurized Abrasive Blaster

Posting that as a starting point, recommendations are welcome. That is in the budget range, also have to consider I also have to buy media for it.
    Advice??
    Thoughts??
    Type of media to use other than sand, and if sand good place to buy it and what to look for.

Thanks,
    Lynx Defense

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'd rent a REAL one w/a compressor @ a local rental place - 99% of the ones you can buy are either way underpowered, or you need MUCH more compressor than you'd have!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Here is a picture of the small one i made for Soda Blasting my suppressor baffles.
    download1.jpg download2.jpg

The air coming from the compressor causes a vacuum effect behind it using the Venturi effect sucking it up near the nozzle. Then it hits the air stream and get shot out of the end.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Here is a picture of the small one i made for Soda Blasting my suppressor baffles.
    View attachment 18240 View attachment 18241

The air coming from the compressor causes a vacuum effect behind it using the Venturi effect sucking it up near the nozzle. Then it hits the air stream and get shot out of the end.

That is great, I think I might try to make one for refinishing gun parts.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I have thought about a siphon system, but from all I have read they are not nearly as efficient as a pressured system.

TR, I checked the mfg. air requirements and the system I have should be good enough.

Checked and no rental places near by have one for rent cheap. Basically I can buy this one and save money over a big rental for a single day.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TR, I checked the mfg. air requirements and the system I have should be good enough.
    Checked and no rental places near by have one for rent cheap. Basically I can buy this one and save money over a big rental for a single day.

Buy it, and try it ASAP in case you need to return it. I tried one many years ago, and it was a joke for the job at hand. Gave up and rented one. Let me know how it works out, though - it'd be a nice tool to have!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Try copper slag for blasting media. Friend of mine has a powder coating business and uses it. Lower dust and quicker paint and rust removal.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am in Houston, but like doing projects like that myself.

However Kuhuna, I would probably come out cheaper with your route, but don't get a new tool in the process, LOL.

Gonna hit Northern Tool tomorrow and see what they have.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've done lots of sand blasting in my time. You pretty much cannot reuse the sand for blasting. but you can use a hardware cloth screen to sift out paint then put it in your yard, etc. You might also consider a combination of sand blasting, then a coat of rust converter (not the green liquid stuff). After the converter is on and dry, use a metal primer, and after that you can sand it for a really smooth finish.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    deemus, Thanks. Also, can I use something like mortar sand from Lowes or The Home Depot instead of expensive blasting media?

Did not think of the rust converter for use after blasting, but if it helps get a good smooth coat I will try it, got a few spray cans in the garage already.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    deemus, Thanks. Also, can I use something like mortar sand from Lowes or The Home Depot instead of expensive blasting media?

Did not think of the rust converter for use after blasting, but if it helps get a good smooth coat I will try it, got a few spray cans in the garage already.

i use the playground sand from HD

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The blaster requires 6-25 cubic feet/minute which is a LOT of air! Most of the Harbor Freight consumer compressors are 3-4 cubic feet/minute. You can check that for yourself in their catalogs. For the sand blaster to work, sufficient volume of air is critical.

I had a trailer made in our high school AG shop and we had it sand blasted before it was painted. A few bucks spent for that made a terrific paint job! There are places that do the sand blasting. If I knew where they sent it, I'd sure tell you.

For my house, I have two of their small hand sand blaster guns that work for small projects but your furniture is way beyond the scope of that process.

I looked in the Houston yellow pages and found about 30 sandblasting entries.

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I don't have a harbor freight compressor. I have a good 30+ gallon, 7+ cfm compressor I've used to frame/roof houses. I may have to wait from time to time for it to catch up, but that is ok.

Really like deemus using playground sand, that will save a bundle on media.

RetArmySgt, where did you get that big box of soda? (I am guessing it's just regular baking soda, right?) Might have another project for that stuff.

Looked at Northern Tool and did not like the prices on their stuff. Probably a bit better quality, but for occasional use, not worth it for me IMHO.

Still looking, and thanks for the continued assistance.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If the compressor can't keep up, you'll be running off the tank - and 6-25 cfm is a LOT of air. Most tanks aren't going to have that kind of reserve at the required pressures involved.

With all due respect, several of us have tried to "flag" this issue to you in different ways.....good luck.

Top Bottom