• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Those are mainly Reticulated or Burmese Python's.
    Not many people keep African Rock Python's as pets because they have nasty attitudes.
    I came across the track of one on my last safari. It’s print in the sand was as wide as my thigh. The professional hunter claimed it was a very big one. Seen a picture of one they had wrapped around a Toyota HiLux.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Those are mainly Reticulated or Burmese Python's.
    Not many people keep African Rock Python's as pets because they have nasty attitudes.

Txhillbilly,

While your post is certainly numerically correct, percentage-wise, the Rock Pythons are reportedly the MOST OFTEN RELEASED into the wild (because, I suspect, of their KNOWN nasty attitude.), where they (and the other non-native constrictors) KILL everything from the smallest amphibians/mammals to WT deer & even larger alligators. .

yours, satx

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My sister took one of her dogs to snake adversive training last weekend. Apparently, the training for her dog was quick and very effective.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Those SOB's have bad attitude's. I had two of them years ago, meanest snakes I ever had.
    I caught a hatchling in someone’s yard back in 1995. Never got even remotely docile. Would only eat live food. By the time I got married in 1999 he was almost 11 feet long and when a friend called to tell me a zoo in Tennessee would take him, he was over 14’.
    To clean his enclosure I would wear a leather jacket, welders gloves, and a full face motorcycle helmet.

When I was crating him to be shipped to TN, he got two full wraps on me that required the assistance of Mrs. Hoji to un wind him.
    Asshole of the Python world.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Sister had a friend who owned a 9’ Rock Python. Struck him in the temple and knocked him out cold. When he called the Zoo to come pick the snake up, they said their rule of thumb was one person for every meter of snake.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    located on the outskirts of Conroe, what kind of snake is this?

This guy was on my porch a while back.
    I am going to see if I can find the other snake that showed up around the same time as well.

there is a large drainage and retention pond behind my home, and some woods.
    The frogs sing all day and night when it rains for a few days.
    48CDB1EA-4EE7-4BA8-B7B5-DDE631F4E13D.jpeg

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    located on the outskirts of Conroe, what kind of snake is this?

This guy was on my porch a while back.
    I am going to see if I can find the other snake that showed up around the same time as well.

there is a large drainage and retention pond behind my home, and some woods.
    The frogs sing all day and night when it rains for a few days. View attachment 257885
    Juvenile Rat Snake ( most likely a Texas Rat)

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    His big brother showed up in my back yard after this. That bastard was long.
    The pictures I have are not that good.

Spcwolf,

IF he is still around, I would invite him to be a PERMANENT "guest of the family estate". - He will KILL OUT all the rats/mice. = PURE HUNTER is the TX Rat Snake!!

yours, satx

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Spcwolf,

IF he is still around, I would invite him to be a PERMANENT "guest of the family estate". - He will KILL OUT all the rats/mice. = PURE HUNTER is the TX Rat Snake!!

yours, satx
    Also one of the few snakes tough enough to eat adult squirrels with out being bitten to death by the tree rat.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Sister had a friend who owned a 9’ Rock Python. Struck him in the temple and knocked him out cold. When he called the Zoo to come pick the snake up, they said their rule of thumb was one person for every meter of snake.

mongoose,

Since the facts about the Rock Python first appeared on this thread, I've talked to several TMN that own reptiles & NONE of the TMN like the Rock Python as a pet..
    (Until then, ALL that I knew about that snake is that their skin makes HANDSOME boots.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I need more of these.

rotor,

What I like is that the TX Rat snake does a REALLY good job of clearing out the RATS that hang around barns & eat EXPENSIVE livestock feed.
    (FYI, I have a college friend who raises/races Running QH. - when he complained BITTERLY to me about how much horse feed that the !@#$%^! RATS were eating up/spoiling, I said, "Get a BIG RAT SNAKE or 2."
    About 6 weeks later, he sent me a note saying that the problem was SOLVED.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom