• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    My dad is retiring after almost 40 years with the US Fish & Wildlife Department this coming November.

I want to get him a rifle for retirement and have all his friends in the office sign it or something similar.

Any ideas? One thing I remember reading about years ago was a lever action Henry rifle that had some sort of decorative polished bronze plate that you could get people to sign that would basically slip over the action of the gun. This could (and would have to) be removed for shooting it....or I guess you could mount it in a shadow box or something and put it on the wall....

Any other good ideas? I'm open to anything...

Lynx Defense

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Good question.... yes, he's a gun nut. Loves all "cowboy guns" (lever action rifles, single action revolvers, etc). But he also loves military rifles, so a good Mauser would be a great option....

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Sounds like Henry is the way to go. Is your dad a hunter? A .44 mag would be awesome. Maybe you could have the guys at Henry leave the stock un-laquered so you can do that after the signatures go on and preserve them forever?

I hope my kid grows up to give presents as cool as yours.

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    Sounds like Henry is the way to go. Is your dad a hunter? A .44 mag would be awesome. Maybe you could have the guys at Henry leave the stock un-laquered so you can do that after the signatures go on and preserve them forever?

I hope my kid grows up to give presents as cool as yours.

Great idea with the stock.

yeah, my old man's pretty cool. Damn good at his job too. My hero, actually.

Keep the ideas flowing. I'll be sure to let y'all know what we choose.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    you could always do a limited edition John Wayne commemorative lever gun...

pix009777942.gif
    pix352733717.gif
    pix834964248.gif
    pix045221073.gif

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    you could always do a limited edition John Wayne commemorative lever gun...

I love that gun. I remember as a kid sneaking it out of the display case just to spin cock and fire it like in the movies. Mom stole it from Dad during the divorce after he stole the china and her jewelry(think War of the Roses). Some day I should still end up with it. Hopefully it hasn't been ruined because only God knows where she ditched it and the rest of his display collection. (Annie Oakley, Antlered Game, and Chief Crazy Horse)

I like the octagon barrel idea and having an engraver go over it, but I love the stock idea. Like a sharpie on a light colored stock, then go over it with a lacquer, or polyurethane or something. That would be sweet.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I like the octagon barrel idea and having an engraver go over it, but I love the stock idea. Like a sharpie on a light colored stock, then go over it with a lacquer, or polyurethane or something. That would be sweet.

In my experience the cans of spray laquer work great. They are easy to use and the finished product lasts just as long as stuff from a can. I have a guitar neck I've redone which can attest to this. It feels like glass and is even smoother than my Gibson!

gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    OK.....I've narrowed it down. Thanks to your expertise (I knew I could count on this crew for good ideas...), I think I'm going back to his old favorites.

He's alwasy been a monster 1911 fan and loves cowboy action guns of all kinds. So, I've narrowed it down to a 1911 and a lever action rifle of some kind.

I'm really new to cowboy guns, so I'll need to do a bunch of research. I've been told by students, friends, and family that this is a whole 'nother obsession that I haven't gotten into yet. I think I'll enjoy the research and learning about the history of lever guns.

Of course I've heard of the '94 but after that they all loook pretty similar to me.

Any ideas on where to start researching?

Thanks again for all the help!

Top Bottom