• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Lots of dealers have pretty good oil change coupons/discounts on their websites.

Getting customers to the dealership is their goal, so it’s often a loss leader and cheaper than you can do it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vector6

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Kerr
    I cannot imagine allowing someone else to clean my firearms, however, having cleaned firearms for others on a few occasions I would say it is not beyond reason at all. Could it be a lucrative business?

I used to work for a guy in Bandera from Houston who would go shoot at the range, then the next day at work put whatever he shot in my Jeep to be cleaned... he gave me $25 cash per.

Kinda sorry he moved back to Houston

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just remembered that one of the high-end ranges that opened here in town a while back has a membership level where you get "concierge service" on your guns. For the few guns you keep in your locker at the range, they'll bring 'em out to you when you arrive and clean them and put them away when you leave.

The service is free after you paid many thousands of dollars for a membership. :)

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The service is free after you paid many thousands of dollars for a membership. :)
    When I worked at the Jaguar dealer repairing and servicing cars there was a customer in the lounge area where the parts dept was also located.

The parts counter guy noticed a woman waiting for her Jaguar and offered that the refrigerated glass case was filled with complimentary refreshments and told her "You can take a coke if you want, they are free."

I was at the parts counter and 'jokingly' commented that they were not actually free but 'included'.

She pointed at me and laughed "your right, I paid a lot of money for my Jaguar repairs."

LaborLawPaul

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2021
    North Texas
    The expensive range and fancy car dealership remind me of the $1500 per hour lawyers with "marble" walls in their waiting rooms. That marble is paper thin. But the coffee is "free." (so are the hookers and blow I suppose)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Now I have the room I wouldn’t mind a parts cleaning station. The old school ones mechanics had in garages. They pumped a cleaner, had screens for washing parts on top.

IIRC there was one in the barrack in basic.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Now I have the room I wouldn’t mind a parts cleaning station. The old school ones mechanics had in garages. They pumped a cleaner, had screens for washing parts on top.

IIRC there was one in the barrack in basic.

You can buy one of those bench-top parts washers at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool & Equipment for less than $200.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    You can buy one of those bench-top parts washers at Harbor Freight or Northern Tool & Equipment for less than $200.

The problem is you can't get good cleaning fluid anymore. Safety Kleen used to have the best chemicals around for parts cleaner's, then the EPA outlawed all the good stuff. Now, everything is water based and doesn't clean shit.

Looks like the OP got his feelings hurt!

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    The problem is you can't get good cleaning fluid anymore. Safety Kleen used to have the best chemicals around for parts cleaner's, then the EPA outlawed all the good stuff. Now, everything is water based and doesn't clean shit.

I've been considering the effectiveness of one of those filled with a Kriol/Hoppes 9 solution followed by hose down with brake cleaner.

Thoughts?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Would TSP work in an ultrasonic? Its used to clean and de-grease non-porous surfaces.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have a LARGE ZEP DYNA CLEAN parts washer and I just replaced the washer fluid in the barrel. (I still work on a few cars for old customers)

I had a 20 gallon barrel of the old Zep Dyna 143 Parts Washer Solvent but I used the last 10 gallons a few weeks ago.

I think you can still buy the stuff but it is expensive.
    Amazon product ASIN B08FJH6Z92
    If you want put on rubber gloves and wash your guns, let me know if you are local.
    (bring a 6 pack for trade)

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I've been considering the effectiveness of one of those filled with a Kriol/Hoppes 9 solution followed by hose down with brake cleaner.

Thoughts?

Even with a bench-top parts cleaner, you are going to need a two to three gallons of cleaner. So the cost of the cleaner would be the obstacle on that method.
    Would TSP work in an ultrasonic? Its used to clean and de-grease non-porous surfaces.

I have used TSP before and it's good cleaner without a doubt. Never thought about using it on a sonic cleaner though. Interesting thought though.
    You can't get kerosene anymore?

Kerosene like diesel has a low flash point, and I have sued diesel before as cleaner, and it works to a degree. Problem is like many petroleum based cleaners is the residue after the parts are cleaned. But not a bad option IMO.
    I have a LARGE ZEP DYNA CLEAN parts washer and I just replaced the washer fluid in the barrel. (I still work on a few cars for old customers)

I had a 20 gallon barrel of the old Zep Dyna 143 Parts Washer Solvent but I used the last 10 gallons a few weeks ago.

I think you can still buy the stuff but it is expensive.
    Amazon product ASIN B08FJH6Z92
    If you want put on rubber gloves and wash your guns, let me know if you are local.
    (bring a 6 pack for trade)

ZEP makes some good products and we have used them for years. ZEP makes a water based cleaner that my brother buys in a 20 gallon barrel, we call their "purple" cleaner.

Top Bottom