• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I am in need of new optics for my AR Rifle. I have used EOTECH holographic in the past. But now I am wondering if I should try a Trijicon ACOG. Is the ACOG similar to the eotech holographic w magnifier, but all in one? Is there anything else you would recommend? I would eventually like to get something for long range, but I don't think this rifle is for that purpose. Its main purpose is home defense and some target shooting.
    Lynx Defense

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Unless your home defense includes a very long driveway and/or a back 40 you'll probably be better served with an unmagnified red dot/holo optic. Faster, smaller, and most likely cheaper depending on what you go with. Turn it on and replace the batteries once a year or two and forget it.

jetcycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Shoreacres, TX
    I use a Primary Arms SLX prism scope on my home defense rifle. I love it, and it's about a fifth the cost of an ACOG. If money was no object it would probably have an ACOG, but I couldn't say if it would make that much difference.
    Right there with ya mate. I have an old bushnell trs25 that gets scoffed at these days, but it's been bounced around multiple platforms for more than a decade and it's never let me down. I have a PA SLx MD25 that I trust, and I'm about to snag a Romeo 5 due to overwhelmingly positive reviews.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    If you’re dead set on an ACOG, you can piggyback a RMR dot. You’ll just need to remember to account for height over bore when using it.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Unless your home defense includes a very long driveway and/or a back 40 you'll probably be better served with an unmagnified red dot/holo optic. Faster, smaller, and most likely cheaper depending on what you go with. Turn it on and replace the batteries once a year or two and forget it.
    Well I do want to shoot a little distance when at the range. So I’m trying to find something capable and a great option for both home defense and at the range..

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Well I do want to shoot a little distance when at the range. So I’m trying to find something capable and a great option for both home defense and at the range..
    I shoot with an Eotech out to 300 yards pretty regularly. I've even pushed it out to 500, but it isn't easy as using something with magnification.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Just get what you want and practice, practice, practice.
    Zero it at whatever range then sit and practice acquiring target zeros.
    You don't have to burn a ton of ammo to get good at shouldering and aiming.
    Of course you'll want to check progress with a range trip now and then.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Just get what you want and practice, practice, practice.
    Zero it at whatever range then sit and practice acquiring target zeros.
    You don't have to burn a ton of ammo to get good at shouldering and aiming.
    Of course you'll want to check progress with a range trip now and then.
    I want to try an ACOG but it might be overkill and there might be something much more practical that I didn't know about, and that I don't have to drop $1500 on it lol. Like with an ACOG is it pointless or more difficult to quickly acquire a short rage target?

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Had a customer drop of 6 Molot Vepr AK's with mini ACOGs for sighting-in- 1.5x Boy those were sweet setups. Some people and their toys...

Trijicon Compact ACOG TA44 1.5x16s

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I want to try an ACOG but it might be overkill and there might be something much more practical that I didn't know about, and that I don't have to drop $1500 on it lol. Like with an ACOG is it pointless or more difficult to quickly acquire a short rage target?
    It depends on you.
    Some people have trouble with certain optics.
    Some seem like they were handed one as soon as they were born.
    Practice with whatever you have beats struggling to adapt to something that may not work better.

FYI.
    I'm not an operator.
    I'm not a competition shooter.
    I target shoot and hunt.
    Hand guns or long guns, I work with what I have till I can't note improvement.
    Practice helps more than new equipment 99% of the time.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Due to eyesight, believing my rifle might need more use than 25 yards I use a 1x6 illuminated scope with 45 degree angle irons for backup. The scope on 1x works as a red dot and you have the option for quick magnification for longer shots. If the scope is out out of action then backup irons. It works for me but as others have said, practice, practice, practice.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Due to eyesight, believing my rifle might need more use than 25 yards I use a 1x6 illuminated scope with 45 degree angle irons for backup. The scope on 1x works as a red dot and you have the option for quick magnification for longer shots. If the scope is out out of action then backup irons. It works for me but as others have said, practice, practice, practice.
    My eyesight is in decline too so that is the other reason I am seeking advice. I want to make the best possible decision. What illuminated scope do you use?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Trying to set up a rifle for close range home defense and medium/long range shooting will typically leave you with a rifle that isn’t very good at either one.

In the house, get some type of red dot.

Longer distances it starts to depend on your goals at those distances. Unless your eyesight is failing you really don’t need much if any magnification inside 100 yards for most uses. (But it doesn’t mean we don’t like it).

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I own:

Eotechs
    ACOGs
    T1
    T2
    CompM4
    Aimpoint duty optic(?)
    Some random Primary Arms knockoffs of the above.

ACOGs are very nice but know the eye relief can be a problem for some. Having said that the only ones I’ve used are the 4x Marine Corps variants. The 3 or 3.5x are supposed to have better eye relief. It is still one of my favorites though. My next optic will be an ACOG in 3 or 3.5 though. The clarity is great. The red chevron is quickly acquired in sight picture and I can drill targets all day, very accurately with that optic system. And even at 500yds it is very easy to put them in the black on a human silhouette target.

I certainly won’t talk you out of an ACOG but the CompM4 and Eotechs won’t let you down either.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I use my ACOG for too close to focus to 6/700 yd. From 25 to how ever far the wind starts causing trouble it ROCKS!

Its only real shortcoming is the difficulty in consistent holding for wind with only a small horizonal line for elevation/ranging reference, but its perfectly manageable for combat accuracy out to 600.

If I were on a budget, I might consider the PA 3x or 4x prism. Magnification isnt about accuracy, its about target ID and spotting misses.

If you will STRICTLY be under 50 or 75yd an EOTech might be faster... but would limit your ability to ID and call shots at range.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    So I’m trying to find something capable and a great option for both home defense and at the range..
    Trying to set up a rifle for close range home defense and medium/long range shooting will typically leave you with a rifle that isn’t very good at either one.
    1714287021268.png

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.

In the house, get some type of red dot.

Longer distances it starts to depend on your goals at those distances. Unless your eyesight is failing you really don’t need much if any magnification inside 100 yards for most uses. (But it doesn’t mean we don’t like it).
    Intriguing, I guess I am a genius then cause the way mine is set up works great. I can't take all the credit, a sf friend is who told me how to set it up. I figure with his training and combat experience he might know what's what.

Top Bottom