• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I want to try an ACOG but it might be overkill and there might be something much more practical that I didn't know about, and that I don't have to drop $1500 on it lol. Like with an ACOG is it pointless or more difficult to quickly acquire a short rage target?
    It is not at all difficult to acquire a short range target with the ACOG.

If you want the ability to engage beyond a hundred yards, the ACOG is great.

If you never want to shoot beyond a 100 yards, then a red dot will do the trick.
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Intriguing, I guess I am a genius then cause the way mine is set up works great. I can't take all the credit, a sf friend is who told me how to set it up. I figure with his training and combat experience he might know what's what.

Look, nothing against you or your friend. But I happen to have an associate whose experience makes SF guys look like new recruits on their first day, and I mean standing in line at MEPS. I can’t even tell you about the things he’s done because it’s still classified. If I did, we’d both have someone knocking on our doors within minutes and we’d be erased.

The nukes dropped on Japan…those were to cover up the evidence of his operations so people wouldn’t freak out. Taking out Bin Laden, him again. They sent a team afterwards to cover up any trace of his presence and that’s what we saw on the news. There’s so much more, but I’ve probably already said to much.

Anyway, Jack says you pick a use. Don’t try to build a long range CQB rifle.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Not what I ment, distance I am talking about is 200 yards in. Any further than that and we really aren't a threat to each other. If they are a sniper I will never know. But I can't see out to 150 well anymore. I also can't carry 2 or more rifles to cover more situations. Sometimes we don't have a choice but to compromise. My choice while not perfect does work as long as I remember the disadvantages. May not be for everyone but it works well for a non operator.

Last edited:

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I own:

Eotechs
    ACOGs
    T1
    T2
    CompM4
    Aimpoint duty optic(?)
    Some random Primary Arms knockoffs of the above.

ACOGs are very nice but know the eye relief can be a problem for some. Having said that the only ones I’ve used are the 4x Marine Corps variants. The 3 or 3.5x are supposed to have better eye relief. It is still one of my favorites though. My next optic will be an ACOG in 3 or 3.5 though. The clarity is great. The red chevron is quickly acquired in sight picture and I can drill targets all day, very accurately with that optic system. And even at 500yds it is very easy to put them in the black on a human silhouette target.

I certainly won’t talk you out of an ACOG but the CompM4 and Eotechs won’t let you down either.
    Thanks for your recommendations.
    First off I am jealous of your list. The ACOG I've looking at is green dual illumination donut. have you tried the green versions at all? I've been torn on green/red when looking at the eotech too. I've owned the red eotech holographic/magnifier combo before and liked it, but that was 7 or so years ago. Eye relief is one of the things I'm worried about. But I guess if it doesn't work I can always take it back.

Thanks again

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Not what I ment, distance I am talking about is 200 yards in. Any further than that and we really aren't a threat to each other. If they are a sniper I will never know. But I can't see out to 150 well anymore. I also can't carry 2 or more rifles to cover more situations. Sometimes we don't have a choice but to compromise. My choice while not perfect does work as long as I remember the disadvantages. May not be for everyone but it works well for a non operator.
    The 3X or 3.5X models would be a good fit.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Look, nothing against you or your friend. But I happen to have an associate whose experience makes SF guys look like new recruits on their first day, and I mean standing in line at MEPS. I can’t even tell you about the things he’s done because it’s still classified. If I did, we’d both have someone knocking on our doors within minutes and we’d be erased.

The nukes dropped on Japan…those were to cover up the evidence of his operations so people wouldn’t freak out. Taking out Bin Laden, him again. They sent a team afterwards to cover up any trace of his presence and that’s what we saw on the news. There’s so much more, but I’ve probably already said to much.

Anyway, Jack says you pick a use. Don’t try to build a long range CQB rifle.
    Your friend Jack sounds impressive but I don't think I will be doing anything that serious or that intensive. He must've been well into his 80s when he took out Bin Laden. Idk if I will even be able to walk when I am that age lol. But yeah. Just looking for something that is top notch quality that I can use for home defense and maybe 150 yards tops at the range. I would get a different rifle to go beyond that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have 2 ACOGS, but really only sighted the one in just before Easter. I went over to EZ-E’s to sight it in. I used the 27 yard sight in method. It was not set up with a range finder, rather paced out. 2 shot and 2 adjustments, and it was on enough to impress both of us. We both were banging steel out at 100 yards. Later that day I let a younger guy shoot it, and he was on steel after a suggested get closer to it.

The only site in that went as easy was on a H&K P7A1 with a Ziess Z Point. It was the reason I put a Z-Point on my MP5K.

I’m no way a rich guy, but I do like me the nicer things. I came to the conclusion long ago that if you are going to buy an optic those optics can easily be half or as much as the gun you put it on.

Spend once, cry once!

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I have 2 ACOGS, but really only sighted the one in just before Easter. I went over to EZ-E’s to sight it in. I used the 27 yard sight in method. It was not set up with a range finder, rather paced out. 2 shot and 2 adjustments, and it was on enough to impress both of us. We both were banging steel out at 100 yards. Later that day I let a younger guy shoot it, and he was on steel after a suggested get closer to it.

The only site in that went as easy was on a H&K P7A1 with a Ziess Z Point. It was the reason I put a Z-Point on my MP5K.

I’m no way a rich guy, but I do like me the nicer things. I came to the conclusion long ago that if you are going to buy an optic those optics can easily be half or as much as the gun you put it on.

Spend once, cry once!
    I am the same way. I like to buy high quality items. I haven't met EZ-E yet.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I am the same way. I like to buy high quality items. I haven't met EZ-E yet.
    EZ-E & KJQ6920 are to of the very first members
    that I met. I will always hold them in very high regard for what they did for me during the blizzard of 2021.

I have said it before & I'll say it again Some of the very best people you may never meet are here on TGT.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Thanks for your recommendations.
    First off I am jealous of your list. The ACOG I've looking at is green dual illumination donut. have you tried the green versions at all? I've been torn on green/red when looking at the eotech too. I've owned the red eotech holographic/magnifier combo before and liked it, but that was 7 or so years ago. Eye relief is one of the things I'm worried about. But I guess if it doesn't work I can always take it back.

Thanks again
    Everything I have is red, I’d like to try some green ones just haven’t had the opportunity. Maybe I will on my next build.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    EZ-E & KJQ6920 are to of the very first members
    that I met. I will always hold them in very high regard for what they did for me during the blizzard of 2021.

I have said it before & I'll say it again Some of the very best people you may never meet are here on TGT.
    I look forward to meeting and getting to you all. I don't really have any friends here in TX so it will be a good change. I moved here from WI about 7 years ago. Absolutely love it here.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I look forward to meeting and getting to you all. I don't really have any friends here in TX so it will be a good change. I moved here from WI about 7 years ago. Absolutely love it here.
    7 years and no friends wtf is up with that? Hope you have a wife and family to make you some what normal we don’t need some loner with guns and a manifesto.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well, I might be leery of making friends so close to Houston too.
    Well I guess I was lucky in the people I worked with became friends. My longest friend I met at an archery shop. We both bought bows around the same time, and got free range time. He worked off shore & was on his 4 weeks off. My hours had me home by 1:30 often. We shot together at the archery shop. I'm actually naming him as the main beneficiary to my estate.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    7 years and no friends wtf is up with that? Hope you have a wife and family to make you some what normal we don’t need some loner with guns and a manifesto.
    :laughing: I assure I have no manifesto of any sort. I've been focusing on work a lot since I moved down here. I have a fiancé. I spend most of my time doing stuff with her and her family. We also travel. My dad comes down every year from WI and stays for the winter. I work from home too so I am not around people every day to make friends and everything. But I am making the attempt now to change that which is why I am on here. To be honest I don't really know my neighbors all that well either, but I don't think they would shared my interests haha.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Well I guess I was lucky in the people I worked with became friends. My longest friend I met at an archery shop. We both bought bows around the same time, and got free range time. He worked off shore & was on his 4 weeks off. My hours had me home by 1:30 often. We shot together at the archery shop. I'm actually naming him as the main beneficiary to my estate.
    I am a software/data engineer and have worked from home for almost 10 years now for the same company. So I haven't had much of a social life even before I moved here. Although I did have a buddy up north before I moved that I would go shooting with and travel around going to gun shows and stuff.

Top Bottom