• ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    My .02 on a house gun.

Get a .300blkout pistol (or SBR if you want another stamp) with 8-10" barrel run it with subs & a can. I'd have it set up with a red or green dot with shake awake feature. The Holosun isnt a combat sight but guys are running them in 3 gun & they are $200-$300. It would be fine for a house gun & most typical daily use.
    I see you have a can already. Is it a .30 cal can?
    Funny you say that. I was just thinking last night that I should just build an SBR or something and throw a red dot/flashlight or laser/flashlight on it and call it a day. Which do you think is better / more cost effective? The SBR or .300blackout pistol? I've been looking a lot of parts lately.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Has EoTech actually fixed the fading issue. I read a while back they had supposedly improved it, but I’ve still seen lots of reports last time I looked.

My oldest one (about 20 years now) is totally useless. My 10 year old Eotech is useless on a sunny day, kind of ok in shade/shadows last time I checked. Just annoyed me for something that expensive. Love the sight picture when they are new and working properly.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Funny you say that. I was just thinking last night that I should just build an SBR or something and throw a red dot/flashlight or laser/flashlight on it and call it a day. Which do you think is better / more cost effective? The SBR or .300blackout pistol? I've been looking a lot of parts lately.
    I have an AR9 pistol beside my bed. Has red dot and flashlight on it. Uses the same Glock magazines as my pistols.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Has EoTech actually fixed the fading issue. I read a while back they had supposedly improved it, but I’ve still seen lots of reports last time I looked.

My oldest one (about 20 years now) is totally useless. My 10 year old Eotech is useless on a sunny day, kind of ok in shade/shadows last time I checked. Just annoyed me for something that expensive. Love the sight picture when they are new and working properly.
    I have 2 Eotechs. A 512 circa 2018 and a XPS 2 circa 2013(bought used) and haven't experienced any fading issues with either yet. I wonder if it's a battery terminal issue. I have heard the AA battery models will cutout under recoil. Again hasn't been a problem for me yet.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    My .02 on a house gun.

Get a .300blkout pistol (or SBR if you want another stamp) with 8-10" barrel run it with subs & a can. I'd have it set up with a red or green dot with shake awake feature. The Holosun isnt a combat sight but guys are running them in 3 gun & they are $200-$300. It would be fine for a house gun & most typical daily use.
    I see you have a can already. Is it a .30 cal can?
    The can is multi-caliber, but to be honest honest I am not sure about .30 cal. I will check my stamp to remind me of the exact model and then let you know.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I have 2 Eotechs. A 512 circa 2018 and a XPS 2 circa 2013(bought used) and haven't experienced any fading issues with either yet. I wonder if it's a battery terminal issue. I have heard the AA battery models will cutout under recoil. Again hasn't been a problem for me yet.
    That's the other thing I have researching with eotech is trying to figure out is the 5x series is better or the XPS. I think now though I might go the route EZ mentioned and either get an 300blkout pistol, an SBR or convert my current rifle into one of those and toss a red/flashlight or laser/flashlight combo on it and a leave it at that for HD. And then build a 308 or something like that for mid to long range function and put a scope on it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never had issues with it cutting out under recoil. Just doesn’t get bright enough to see the reticle in bright sun anymore.

The older one I could have sent in at one point for repair if I’d known at the time, they admitted there were issues with the seals. It was bought around 2004. Too late now though, and not even sure when it is.

Hopefully they’re good now, just kind of soured on them though.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You either have deep pockets or your getting to far a head of your self. You can’t make up your mind on an optic for a gun you have. A black out SBR is another $200.00 for a stamp. Light/lasers combo ain’t cheap if you buy say a SureFire.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    That's the other thing I have researching with eotech is trying to figure out is the 5x series is better or the XPS. I think now though I might go the route EZ mentioned and either get an 300blkout pistol, an SBR or convert my current rifle into one of those and toss a red/flashlight or laser/flashlight combo on it and a leave it at that for HD. And then build a 308 or something like that for mid to long range function and put a scope on it.
    If a quality red dot is on your radar. An aimpoint would likely be a the best option for just a solid rugged red dot. It also maybe overkill. If you don't plan on toting it through the field much, a holosun or primary arms etc. would likely serve you just fine. One on a suppressed 300blkout SBR would be the bees knees for a defense gun.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I never liked how splotchy the reticle on eotechs were. Even when focusing on the target, it looks like youve got 15 different red dots going.

Plus battery life is terrible, even the dot only versions is at best only 1/5th the lifespan of an aimpoint.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    You either have deep pockets or your getting to far a head of your self. You can’t make up your mind on an optic for a gun you have. A black out SBR is another $200.00 for a stamp. Light/lasers combo ain’t cheap if you buy say a SureFire.
    I was thinking it would be cheaper overall to convert my current rifle to an SBR. Well cheaper than the ACOG. Probably not cheaper than the eotech though. I am planning to make my final decision today so I can move forward.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I never liked how splotchy the reticle on eotechs were. Even when focusing on the target, it looks like youve got 15 different red dots going.

Plus battery life is terrible, even the dot only versions is at best only 1/5th the lifespan of an aimpoint.
    This is true. The aiming point of an Eotech is not precise in the least. I do love the large window on them though and find that I am faster with them from target to target (larger targets I should say) than a micro dot.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    This is true. The aiming point of an Eotech is not precise in the least. I do love the large window on them though and find that I am faster with them from target to target (larger targets I should say) than a micro dot.

I had an MRO that i was quite fast with, but i replaced it with an Aimpoint H2. It took some practice but I'm now just as fast with the H2 as i was with the MRO.

I'd trade both in an instant for a TA44 that i knew could be zeroed on my MP5.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    .300blackout pistol. Put a RD on it and add a flipup 3x behind it for longer shots.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Just stick with a 10.5-14.5 barrel in 223/5.56.

I'd vote for you getting pinned and welded 14.5" barrel. It feels a lot shorter, wont require a stamp (if your muzzle device is long enough. Mine hits steel at 600 easily and its handier indoors.

Going shorter makes vehicle work easier, but the 14.5 is fine and more short is WAY more louder. Imo the only reason to go shorter than 14.5 is to reduce OAL so when you add a suppressor its about the length of a 14.5" or 16" gun...

14.5" with a 4X ACOG is my work rifle and also my run-and-gun rifle.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Weird thing about Eotech is the dot isn’t actually splotchy at all, just the way our eyes see it.

Put a magnifier behind it and it’s perfect. At least in my experience.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom