• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    You can buy heavy duty gallon jugs from one of those places that sells RO water by the gallon. Less than $2 a piece. Store in those milk crates you can buy at Walmart. I use those mostly for hand washing, toilet flushing, etc.

For drinking water, it's Ozarka bottled water in the 500ml or 750ml bottles. Stacks nicely. Cheap enough at Sam's or WM.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    These will get you 49 gallons for about $125. Maybe buy a few at a time. Shipping is free if you have Amazon Prime, or on $35 or more.

Amazon.com : Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container : Camping Water Storage : Sports & Outdoors

Has anyone actully used these and purchased them recently?

I've read several reviews about the seams splitting and the spigots leaking.
    The seam issue was attributed to thinner walls on recently purchased jugs as compared to older ones.
    It was a vague reference, but it was enough for me to hold purchasing.
    Walmart had them for $15 each. I passed until I could find some real-word experience.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Has anyone actully used these and purchased them recently?

I've read several reviews about the seams splitting and the spigots leaking.
    The seam issue was attributed to thinner walls on recently purchased jugs as compared to older ones.
    It was a vague reference, but it was enough for me to hold purchasing.
    Walmart had them for $15 each. I passed until I could find some real-word experience.

I got 2 in Feb. when our well pump went out. They've remained full till now and moved twice. I find these are solid.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Guys, Yall do have a lot of ideas. Good ones.

But a $75, 30gallon barrel....its a solid way to store water. Its tough enough to take rough handling. Its not heavier, then a full bath tube. Or a Couch with a fold out bed.

240lbs.

$75 bucks is worth an survival asset that'll last decades.

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Guys, Yall do have a lot of ideas. Good ones.

But a $75, 30gallon barrel....its a solid way to store water. Its tough enough to take rough handling. Its not heavier, then a full bath tube. Or a Couch with a fold out bed.

240lbs.

$75 bucks is worth an survival asset that'll last decades.

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

Wow, expensive. The 55 gal poly barrels go for $10-20 on craigslist all day (no idea what was in them though). Here in Houston there's some dude with a nearly unlimited supply of once-used food grade barrels for $25 each. 40% chance of rain this weekend! Catch some in food-grade 55 gal Drums

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I put tap water away in 1 gallon jugs. Been doing this for years. Every once in a while I'll pull one of the oldest ones off the shelf and use it for drinking water. It's always been fine.

When I fill the jugs, I make sure there is no air after it's sealed. The jugs are kept in the garage, so they get hot and cold. The water is always fine to drink.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    My water bottles in my get me home bag have been in there for over an year. Decided it is not a good idea to keep them for that after reading the story I posted, so I watered some plants with them. There are other sources of studies about this out there, and the University of Florida is not in China. More than one source is warning about it. The water in a hot garden hose has not been sitting soaking up chemicals for months either, plus rubber is not the same as the plastics in the bottles.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My water bottles in my get me home bag have been in there for over an year. Decided it is not a good idea to keep them for that after reading the story I posted, so I watered some plants with them. There are other sources of studies about this out there, and the University of Florida is not in China. More than one source is warning about it. The water in a hot garden hose has not been sitting soaking up chemicals for months either, plus rubber is not the same as the plastics in the bottles.

Sorry if I misquoted ... this stood out to me ...

who has a research program
    icon1.png
    at NanjingUniversity
    icon1.png
    in China

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If it were a remote possibility, da gub-ment would require warning labels on all garden hoses.

I was referring to water in plastic bottles, were you lumping hot hoses & hot plastic bottles together?

ETA: nevermind, just read the following posts, lol..

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    If it were a remote possibility, da gub-ment would require warning labels on all garden hoses.

Actually, the garden hoses I have purchased recently do have a warning to not use them for drinking purposes. There are some that are "drinking safe" or claim to be.

Top Bottom