• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm new to Texas Gun Talk, this is my first post. I received my CHL in June, and now I'm looking for a good concealed carry weapon. I'm only interested in the 1911. Would appreciate ya'll's input. Especially 4" barrel vs 5", and various brand recommendations. My target price range is in the neighborhood of $1,000. I'm not looking for anything custom - just a good solid gun with good sights that can be used for concealed carry.

Thanks,

Red
    Gun Zone Deals

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Your price point will drive you to Springfields, Kimbers, Colt, SW, RIA and a few others. Of that group I like the Springfields and Kimbers. You can also get a Taurus, but those are not my favorite. You can probably find a nice used Dan Wesson CBOB (2009 or older model) for less than $1000. Those are really nice 1911's.

As far as a 4.25 (commander sized) vs a full sized 5". Concealment with the smaller gun will be easier... shootablilty will go to the full sized, although not by a great margin unless you're into long range shooting or bullseye completions.

Welcome

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hi Red, welcome!

Go with a 5" if possible as they are the most reliable. 4" is alright. Avoid the 3", I can't tell you how many I've seen fail and malfunction, and hell I've even seen the governor's Colt Defender fail. ;) Colt, Springfield, and Kimber would be the 3 I'd look at for a sub $1k 1911. Also, whichever you go with, buy good quality mags. It should be noted that the mags that come with most 1911's from the factory are generally not considered to be good quality (yes even the Kimber mags suck most of the time). Buy Wilson, Chip Mccormick, Tripp Research or one or 2 other brands that escape me. Other than that, keep it well lubed as 1911's will NOT run dry or under lubed (not any fitted remotely tight anyways), and make sure to keep up with the regular maintenance (replace springs when they are supposed to be, etc). 1911's are definitely not as forgiving as say a Glock, and they take more effort to make run and keep up and running. Honestly though, it's not that big a deal to do so, it's just a matter of paying attention to detail and putting in a little extra effort.

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    I went 5" -- SA Lightweight Operator. Has performed flawlessly. The big thing with concealing it for me was getting the right holster. Got a kydex paddle. Holds tight to my body about 8 o'clock (I' m a lefty). Nothing wrong with Commander sized 1911s, but it's not really hard to conceal a 5".

The factory mags with the Ltwt Operator have worked without fail, BTW.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input. At this point, I am eliminating anything that does not include a lowered & flared ejection port, or dot sights. I am also not going to go less than a 4" barrel. Right now I'm leaning towards a 4" but could go with a full size. A couple of Kimber models are still in the mix, as is the Springfield Loaded Champion & Colt. The sights took the Guardian out of the mix. Would appreciate your input on steel frame vs aluminum or alloy. I understand the upside (lighter weight) but what, if anything, is the downside of an aluminum frame?

Thanks,

Red

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I switch off between a Colt Defender in 45acp and a Dan Wesson Commander bobtail in 45acp. I don't think you would go wrong with either and both could be in your price range.
    A new defender or new agent is well below your price range and mine has been 100%. It is a great carry gun and easily controllable. I've heard they are the most reliable compact 1911's on the market, and mine has not disappointed.

If you could find a used Dan Wesson CBOB, it would be in your price range. When I got my Dan Wesson and shot it, I quit buying or looking at other 1911's, because I do not believe they could get any better than my CBOB. For me it is just perfect, Even though it is heavier, and larger I still find myself carrying the CBOB.

GJW1911

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Thanks guys, appreciate the input. At this point, I am eliminating anything that does not include a lowered & flared ejection port, or dot sights. I am also not going to go less than a 4" barrel. Right now I'm leaning towards a 4" but could go with a full size. A couple of Kimber models are still in the mix, as is the Springfield Loaded Champion & Colt. The sights took the Guardian out of the mix. Would appreciate your input on steel frame vs aluminum or alloy. I understand the upside (lighter weight) but what, if anything, is the downside of an aluminum frame?

Thanks,

Red

This Summer I got a Kimber CDPII. Iwas a beautiful gun, however the main reason I got rid of it was the alluminum frame. I'm careful with stuff, but I put two scratches on it in the first 50 rounds. No biggie, disapointing but no biggie. Then I took it home and cleaned it . It came with one factory mag that had a steel follower. I didn't even think about it. That dang thing scraped and scored the inside of the grip like you wouldn't believe. I then read where the composite followers are best since they don't do that. So why didn't Kmber know that? Gees

A friend of mine didn't mine the beauty marks and really wanted it , so he owns it now.

I then bought a Rock Island Tactical 5" all steel, and love it. At least if I scratch it, it doesn't complain.

So, yes the alum is easier on the hip weight wise. I could tell a slight difference in the recoil between full steel and half and half. I like the heft of all steel better. I enjoyed the lighter carry, but you gotta be willing to accept dings and scratches.
    :patriot:

BrazosCoTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Brazos County, TX
    Have owned all steel (Colt Series 70 and SA Loaded Champion stainless) and alloy (SA Lwt Operator). My opinion -- the propensity to collect scratches depends a lot on the finish, not so much the base metal. I have used the Lwt Operator quite a bit, and have no appreciable wear to show on it.

As far as which will give you a higher lifetime round count, the metalurgy favors the all steel; however, that doesn't mean the alloy 1911 will fail any time soon. The most vocal all steel proponents in the gun media are guys who either compete or have competed, and they put tens of thousands of rounds through their guns (and generally have sponsors who foot the bill). I believe Kimber guarantees their 3 inch 1911 alloy framed guns to 20,000 rounds. I shoot recreationally, and generally not the same gun(s) every time I go to the range. I will probably never get to the 20,000 round count in my Lwt Operator, unless I hit the lottery and can afford to shoot every day, all day (in that case, I will treat myself to a SA Professional model or two). My body parts will likely fail long before the parts in the Lwt Operator do. My advice-- buy the gun you want that you can afford. Can't really go wrong with Springfield Armory, Kimber, or Colt 1911s for $1,000 or less. Never owned a RIA, but they are gaining a following for an affordable 1911 platform-- generally very favorable reviews. The new Remington looks interesting, too. Cannot recommend Taurus or Para-- just can't, but others might. And, don't be leery of an alloy framed gun -- they are plenty tough.

keroseneburner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    NW LA
    Red,

My everyday carry is a Kimber Pro Raptor (4"). I carry both IWB and OWB depending on what I'm wearing. The main difference between the Gov't model and the commander sized pistols is barrel length. The grip size is the same. For most folks, concealing the grip is the toughest part of carrying. I carry the commander size because I find that when I sit, the longer barrel is not comfortable to me when carrying IWB. I have owned a couple of Officers model sized 1911's. The Springfield Armory Ultra Compact was my introduction to 1911 type ownership. I never could get it to run right so I traded it off for a Colt Combat Commander. I owned a Colt New Agent for about 10 months. That little gun was 100%. I traded it for the Pro Raptor because the NA just wasn't as much fun to shoot so I didn't train with it like I should. The Pro Raptor was used when I got it. It has been great. If you keep the springs in good shape, keep it lubed, and keep the dremel tool away from it a 1911 can be a great carry gun.

The CCO sized pistols are a nice compromise between the Officer's and Commander sized pistols. Officer's grip with a 4" barrel. If you can find one, take a look at it.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Springfield. Primarily because I already own one and like it, and because I like the pricing. I've still got a week or so to make a final decision, so I'm still going to check a few others out. But if things don't change, I think I'm going with the Springfield Loaded Champion for carry, and may go ahead and get a full size Loaded as well.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Consider the Kimber CPD. I have carried one extensively, and now carry a Warrior. While I love the warrior, the CDP was easier to carry as it is much lighter. When on your hip all day it does seem to make a difference.

Good luck on your choice.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Consider the Kimber CPD. I have carried one extensively, and now carry a Warrior. While I love the warrior, the CDP was easier to carry as it is much lighter. When on your hip all day it does seem to make a difference.

Good luck on your choice.

+1 on the CDP ... The CDP Pro or Tactical Pro would be an ideal carry option. The CDP has night sights, front stippling, and a frame melt treatment.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Springfield. Primarily because I already own one and like it, and because I like the pricing. I've still got a week or so to make a final decision, so I'm still going to check a few others out. But if things don't change, I think I'm going with the Springfield Loaded Champion for carry, and may go ahead and get a full size Loaded as well.

Get a GOOD belt ... a full size 1911 will drag your britches down. The Commander sized guns with the alloy lowers like the before mentioned Kimbers are considerably lighter.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Agree on the belt, and holster, too. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck that I've used with my existing full size 1911. I was surprised at how comfortable it is.

Top Bottom