ARJ Defense ad

Need scope help / recommendations. Best low-price red dot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozworth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Round Rock
    I need to get a decent LOW COST red-dot in about a month. Here's the situation:

My budget is $70 or less. (I'm serious, stop laughing.)
    It's going on a flat-top AR.

What i need:
    1. Cheap
    2. Holds zero
    3. Looks semi-tacti-cool

I am trying to save for a decent aimpoint, but do to time constraints, i need to get something in the next few weeks. (Anything quality is out of the question for at least a year, due to daycare/mortgage/taxes/car repair costs)

Father in law coming to town, wants to go shooting. He can't see all that great, so we won't be shooting beyond 50 yds.
    Wife (who's not a big gun fan anyway) will be joining us, so to maximize her enjoyment, she needs to be able to use it quickly, easily, and effectively.

This scope is more of a political/marketing purchase than anything. "Training wheels" for the rifle, so they both enjoy it and aren't ready to leave after 10 rounds down range.
    I'm fine with the iron sights, but if i have to teach them how to use those, they will both glaze over about 48 seconds into the instruction.

I've looked at the truglo's, and the BSA's, and the barska's...those seem to be the only ones in my price range, and the reviews all seem to be mixed at best. A 2x would be better, but i think i can live with a 1x.

Please help. And thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Capitol Armory ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Avoid the TruGlo 2x, even though it is a little above your price requirements. I didn't have much luck with it. It may have been parallax issues, but I just couldn't get mine to zero correctly. I have had luck with the cheapies from WallyWorld on low recoil rifles and pistols. When the money is there, I definitely recommend the Aimpoint.

Doc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Carrollton, TX
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'd like to add to the discussion. What if ones budget was say, $100 to $200? Any suggestions for a decent red dot scope in that range? This is for an AR that I use to target shoot and occasionally hunt pigs. I understand that there's a group of people that would just as soon die than buy a scope under a quarter of a million dollars, but I have to face reality. I'm a family man and not a member of Swat. I just need something that will put lead on the target and bring home a little bacon. Don't need anything that will survive a nuclear blast, wake me up in the morning, and re-caulk my tub. Any suggestions?

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    For dependable "cheap" red dots try Primary Arms. Texas based company and prices (and quality) are unbelievable. Great reviews on all AR15 forums. I have the Gen3 and the M4; both hold zero, adjustable brightness, and long battery life. Worth a look.

Doc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Carrollton, TX
    Thanks for the suggestions! I like that bushnell but I'm now leaning towards the primary arms m4 because it uses a standard battery size that is interchangeable with my weapon lights and flashlights, since I'm a minimalist and love redundancy!

Top Bottom