• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    i posted some guns for sale on here.. was contacted by a member... agreed on a deal.. .and he sent payment... it arrived today.. i am not a financial genius but I THOUGHT that money orders could be verified by a bank... unlike personal checks... my bank just told me that they cannot tell me for 2-3 weeks if it is good? .. what is the right thing to do? obviously i emailed the buyer and told him to call me asap to discuss..
    here are my thoughts:

i would be glad to send it back to him next day mail registered and insured.... and let him wire me the money or send me cash insured and delivery confirmation...
    i will also be glad to cancel the sale and of course expedite the money back to him...

i am hestitant to send my gun to a guy when in 3 weeks my bank may tell me i made a very bad call.... i am conflicted.. the guy is a new member like me ( since may of this year in his case) and has no feedback.... I know i made the mistake of assuming but i really thought a Bank could verify a purchased in state money order..... what is your idea... i woulld love some advice here... I don't want to anger anyone but i dont want to be someone's fool either.... ?

thanks in advance for the advice and may i restate...loving this site... can't believed i lived in texas for 9 years going on ten and just now found it.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Best way around this is USPS money orders. Can;t say Ive heard of money orders taking that long to clear though.

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    per my bank it would take them that long.. this is what my bank said... We will know when it does not clear.. but can't say for sure when it will. and this is not a USPS money order...

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    i am trying to look them up on google right now.. i dont have a phone number on it.. just an address but i will update when i find somehting

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    If he didn't send a USPS MO, then its on him to wait for it to clear the bank IMO. I think you are good. The bank is just quoting that amount of time, I bet it clears within 48 hours.

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    unable to get ahold of anyone in ALON financial services to verify that this number matches one purchased...tried google.only get voicemail

speedy223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    crockett
    darn thieves... how simple life would be without them... (not implying this is a bad money order) just saying... i thought i still lived in a country where a money order could be verified..how naive of me..

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Theres a better way than that, send him the funny money back, and tell him to escrow the purchase price with paypal, send him the gun insured and signature required, paypal will hold his money and automatically check the tracking number daily, and when paypal gets delivery confirmation, they will release the funds to you.

Dealing with stuff like this with people you dont know is tricky, its best for both parties to have a trusted mediator like paypal broker the deal.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ummm.....do NOT do this via PayPal - PERIOD. If they find you doing a gun deal through them, they will FREEZE your account - and some have had pure hell getting their money back out!

Send the MO's back, get the USPS ones. I've done deals with some members of this board where they accepted my personal check - but I ain't a newbie here. If I'm doing a deal with someone involving a MO or ceritifed funds, I'm gonna pay however THEY want me to - and USPS is about as cheap a MO as they come. Nothing against your buyer - he's likely a fine feller - but I've seen MO companies themselves go under - and the funds aren't collectible at that point.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    +1 on both the USPS MO and the NOT doing a gun deal via PayPal. Unlike the not telling FedEx or ups, if PayPal finds out they might keep your money.

Kimber_me_timbers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Dallas
    Wow, wasnt aware that it would be a big issue, that just how ive done my long distance buying in the past. Theres no way for paypal to know whats being sold, all they know is the price and the tracking number. Dont see how they would even know.

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Ask him where he got the MO from, from what I just read Alon provides MO's for 7-11's, WalMart, etc. I usually do all my deals with cash FTF, or USPS money orders, but then again, not everyone can make it to the Post Office to get one.

Top Bottom