• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Mac and iOS are for tree loving hippies.. No just kidding. Mac are susceptible to the same problems as PC, issues are not as main stream as PC because their market share has not reach that of windows.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2
    Texas SOT

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Doesn't XP have restore points? If it does, I'd go back to one and see if it fixes things. My wife f-cked up her laptop somehow, using a backup point fixed it.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Doesn't XP have restore points? If it does, I'd go back to one and see if it fixes things. My wife f-cked up her laptop somehow, using a backup point fixed it.

Yes XP has restore points. In fact restore points started with XP. I personally dont use them as they take up way too much space. I know its only temp, but still GBs just for a temp storage space, no thanks I could use that for stuff that I can actually use or work with.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks guys, just got it up today. Had issues with connecting to the internet. However sending the error reports to Microsoft went out fine, just could not connect using a browser.

Backing stuff up on a external drive now, taking forever.

Can't even get Norton to run a full system scan in Safe mode without an error crashing it.

Going to try the Spybot etc. route next and see what it finds.

Next the windows repair.................

Thanks for the advice, got a lot of things to try now I did not have yesterday.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I know everybody has their likes and dislikes about AV software, but I've used Vipre for years on all of our families computers. Never, ever had a virus. Footprint is way smaller than McAfee or Norton. We use McAfee at work and at lunch when I'm here, my computer slows to a crawl to update. I've never had that problem with Vipre.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I fixed these things for a living for years.
    First, get some of the computer duster in a can. You might need two.
    Open the case and dust THOROUGHLY. Dust conducts enough electricity to cause shorts on the mobo, this causes BSODs.
    Inspect any and all capacitors for signs of bulging. M$ and bulged caps to NOT get along well.
    If you clean the dust and have no bad caps and it still BSODs, you have issues. Consult a professional.

Eli

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Open the case and dust THOROUGHLY. Dust conducts enough electricity to cause shorts on the mobo, this causes BSODs.
    Inspect any and all capacitors for signs of bulging. M$ and bulged caps to NOT get along well.
    If you clean the dust and have no bad caps and it still BSODs, you have issues. Consult a professional.

Eli

I lost a mobo once in my life from a capacitor blowing. That was so damned frustrating, random bsods with driver errors but never the same ones. Luckily, its pretty rare to have a mobo fail.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

Eli

Yeah, tried that today also. Took it out, dusted it, checked internals, re-secured all cables, ran a variety of check this-fix that stuff. Going to make contact with a pro tomorrow and let him take a remote look at it and see if he can figure it out.

Just hope a new box is not in the future.........

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    [...] However, if you just do "normal" stuff (email, web, file sharing, office productivity packages, media organization and playback, etc.) with your computer then do yourself a favor and download a decent Linux distribution and give it a trial run. [...]
    Definitely worth a try - folks would be surprised how far the Linux distros have come in terms of compatibility and ease of use.

It's not like the good ol' days (or bad?) when you needed to know every last detail about every piece of hardware in the machine, every IRQ, DMA channel, base address, memory size, etc, just to get Linux installed - barely installed, that is. One of my biggest geek triumphs was getting Slackware to run on the original Compaq SystemPro server and finally making the SCSI adapter and tape drive work after two weeks of fiddling with the damn thing. Nothing will propel you out the window in a rage faster than the combination of the Linux kernel as it was then and the EISA bus.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One of my biggest geek triumphs was getting Slackware to run on the original Compaq SystemPro server and finally making the SCSI adapter and tape drive work after two weeks of fiddling with the damn thing. Nothing will propel you out the window in a rage faster than the combination of the Linux kernel as it was then and the EISA bus.
    I'm mildly ashamed to admit I understood every word of this.

For a new challenge, try doing a full-disk LUKS encrypted format of an external port-multiplied eSATA drive bay. Even today, I find myself disconnecting all current drives, plugging in some piece-o-crap drive to format as the boot drive, plugging in the eSATA-connected device, then telling either Ubuntu or Mint (after updating the graphical installer on the live boot DVD with a newer version) to simply use the entire space on all drives, while specifying full-disk encryption. For reasons I've never figured out (and I've tested a dozen different eSATA devices), installer drive detection seems to fail at least half the time. 5 drives connected? It'll see 3 or 4.

I should be able to plug in the eSATA cable to my working system, set the new drive parameters, feed it a passphrase, and be good to go. In my experience, this has never worked.

OK, I'll quit my bitchin' now. For most users, a good general-purpose Linux distro like the previously mentioned Mint in 32-bit KDE is all the computer 90% of people need, it has very good security built in, and it's completely free. That's tough to beat in my opinion.

PS - Ever get Yggdrasil to run on anything? I did...but it's been so long that I can't remember how. Boy, oh, boy I must have had extra time on my hands back in the day.

Top Bottom