• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 91cavgt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    The Colony
    I'm looking for a revolver, preferably something small in caliber like a 22. This will mainly be kept in a safe place in my house and probably will seldomly be used (no thanks to my democrat wife). I only use my rifle once or twice a year during deer season and the last time I shot my shotgun was about 3 years ago.

About the only time this postol will leave the house is to come with me when deer hunting or when camping. Otherwise I doubt it'll be used much. It is possible that it could be used for home defense but I don't want a really powerful caliber just for this one purpose that would end up being out of my price range, too much recoil, and being too heavy.

I'm not looking to spend much on this at all. I know that it's hard to get a good pistol for around $150 but that's about all I can spend. I'd like to get a 38, but ammo for them have been very difficult to find locally (I've been looking). I know that a 22 with Magnum hollow point loads pack an ok punch and the ammo is easy to find.

So, is there anything out there that fits what I'm looking for? I don't mind buying used (bought my rifle and shotgun used) as long as it's in good shape and it's reliable.
    Hurley's Gold

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    one of my favorite used 22 revolvers in that price range is the High Standard Senteniel. Its a double action 9 shot available in various barrel lengths. Out of production but can still be located. I have a 2" snub in this that is my tackle box/kit gun.

For a new 22 in that range....... There is the Heritage Rough rider series. Academy Sports ususally has a few on hand for around $150 though a gun shop will offer generally more choices in finish/barrel length in this brand. This is a cowboy single action type revolver and can be had in dual cylinder for 22/22 mag. Some folks like them.....some hate them. They ain't a ruger, but they ain't as high dollar either. Academy last Christmas had them on for $99 (22 LR only).................for the occasional use that it sounds like you will be using it, the Heritage with the 22 mag cylinder would be nice. Your "democrat" probably would appreciate the manual safety that the Heritage has.

here is the "dual cylinder" heritage at Academy..... http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...s/outdoors/hunting/firearms/revolvers_rimfire

91cavgt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    The Colony
    one of my favorite used 22 revolvers in that price range is the High Standard Senteniel. Its a double action 9 shot available in various barrel lengths. Out of production but can still be located. I have a 2" snub in this that is my tackle box/kit gun.

For a new 22 in that range....... There is the Heritage Rough rider series. Academy Sports ususally has a few on hand for around $150 though a gun shop will offer generally more choices in finish/barrel length in this brand. This is a cowboy single action type revolver and can be had in dual cylinder for 22/22 mag. Some folks like them.....some hate them. They ain't a ruger, but they ain't as high dollar either. Academy last Christmas had them on for $99 (22 LR only).................for the occasional use that it sounds like you will be using it, the Heritage with the 22 mag cylinder would be nice. Your "democrat" probably would appreciate the manual safety that the Heritage has.

here is the "dual cylinder" heritage at Academy..... Rimfire Revolvers

I saw the one at Academy and it sparked my interest but I didn't know what the quality of it was. Hence why I came here to ask after my brother recomended me to come here. My "democrat" never wants to see them and thinks that I'm going off the deep end just because I want and have always wanted a pistol. I grew up around firearms when I was a kid. We always had an unlocked gun cabinet in the living room with no less than 5 rifles/shotguns in it at all times. She on the other hand never delt with a firearm at all until she was in her mid 30s.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    Texascop2 brings up a good point, some proper education may help with this problem.

As for home defense, that's what the shotgun is for.
    Heritage single action revolvers are OK guns a friend of mine has one and it shoots just as good and a Ruger single six, it looks very crude though.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    You'll be hard pressed to find a .22 revolver (or autoloader) new in the $150 price range. About the least expensive I've seen is Charter Arms. They have a few in the $225 range.

If you stuck with $150 max, best check used guns, ether on line or at gun shows.

Lastshot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Texas

here is the "dual cylinder" heritage at Academy..... Rimfire Revolvers

+1 on the heritage, fits the bill 100%, I dont agree with what he wants, but Im not writing the check either.

I'm looking for a revolver, preferably something small in caliber like a 22. This will mainly be kept in a safe place in my house and probably will seldomly be used (no thanks to my democrat wife). I only use my rifle once or twice a year during deer season and the last time I shot my shotgun was about 3 years ago.

About the only time this postol will leave the house is to come with me when deer hunting or when camping. Otherwise I doubt it'll be used much. It is possible that it could be used for home defense but I don't want a really powerful caliber just for this one purpose that would end up being out of my price range, too much recoil, and being too heavy.

I'm not looking to spend much on this at all. I know that it's hard to get a good pistol for around $150 but that's about all I can spend. I'd like to get a 38, but ammo for them have been very difficult to find locally (I've been looking). I know that a 22 with Magnum hollow point loads pack an ok punch and the ammo is easy to find.

So, is there anything out there that fits what I'm looking for? I don't mind buying used (bought my rifle and shotgun used) as long as it's in good shape and it's reliable.

This is disturbing on sooooo many levels.... DUDE! go out and shoot more!... take her with you... She probably needs a carry gun too. get her to get a CCL!.. AND hurry before they take your "MAN CARD" away!!!...

91cavgt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    The Colony
    +1 on the heritage, fits the bill 100%, I dont agree with what he wants, but Im not writing the check either.

This is disturbing on sooooo many levels.... DUDE! go out and shoot more!... take her with you... She probably needs a carry gun too. get her to get a CCL!.. AND hurry before they take your "MAN CARD" away!!!...

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank y'all.

As far as taking my wife out and getting her more familiar with firearms, I've tried and she wants nothing to do with them. Luckily though, one of my step sons has shown a lot of interest and I feed that interest as often as I can! I have taken him to the range as well, he just didn't want to shoot my 270 due to the recoil. I have access to a single shot 22 that I'll be bringing to the range next time for him to shoot. I got a pellet gun from my brother for my step sons and they love shooting it. I figure if my wife doesn't want anything to do with firearms, I'm gonna teach my step sons all about them the way I was raised with them around.

btw, I keep 8 rounds of buckshot on the stock of my shotgun. I have it as primary home defense.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    If you are bound and determined to get a 22 revolver I would suggest the Ruger Single Six . the Heritage is OK but the Ruger is vastly superior. IMHO. Feel free to disagree. Good choice on the shotgun.

Top Bottom