• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I am looking at getting my wife a tablet. I know nothing about them. She has played with the Kindle Fire, the Ipad2 and thats about it.
    Uses it just for email and to browse websites, shopping, travel...regular chick stuff.

Fill my brain with info on these modern marvels.
    Capitol Armory ad

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    If she's already familiar with Windows... consider a Windows tablet. Add a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it's a laptop when placed on your desk. If she's not a "techy" or a quick learner, the new interface or "look and feel" could driver her nuts.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My wife is not a techie by any stretch, and she grabbed an Android and took off. For what your wife will do, Texan2, the Kindle Fire will work great. Howevwer, if she wants netflix, pandora and all that I would suggest a Samsun Galaxy 10" tablet.

Mike, does windows come on a true tablet? Completely touch screen without a stylus?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    My older two just got Kindle Fires for their birthdays (and good grades). They're pretty cool.

Netflix works great on them and they're a hand size. I think I may need to switch to FIOS though, they're hogging all my bandwidth. They have about 5 gigs of storage on board, but you can load up music,etc. to your personal "cloud" and stream it as well.

A couple of key considerations:
    - size
    - functionality as a pseudo-laptop / editing documents

Add: Facebook, Pandora, Netflix, etc are all available on the fire. I think TXI is referring to what screen size you'd want if watching shows on it.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    In answer to above... true tablet w/o stylus... I've only reviewed ads and that question wasn't asked or answered. I think there is some limitation with the native Windows 7 interface. Add on software has been available to enable the ipad type of interface. The soon available Windows 8 beta will answer many questions of this type. Currently, advertised to be available by the end of February.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    In answer to above... true tablet w/o stylus... I've only reviewed ads and that question wasn't asked or answered. I think there is some limitation with the native Windows 7 interface. Add on software has been available to enable the ipad type of interface. The soon available Windows 8 beta will answer many questions of this type. Currently, advertised to be available by the end of February.

I would really like a link if you have one. Being familiar with Windows and using a tablet for business I would be interested. However, the windows tablets I have seen all are just normal windows OS with a touch screen. You have to use the bar on the side to scroll up and down web pages, for example, and cannot just touch the screen and move the page up and down. The bar is too narrow in tablet screen format to be able to touch it with any accuracy or consistency. The onscreen keyboard just pops up over the page, making it difficult to know where to type. The keyboard does not integrate like the iPad or Android. Those are just a few of my dislikes regarding what I have seen.

If there is a more touch screen capable windows version I would seriously look at it.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    The Kindle Fire specifically does NOT support a proxy server. The proxy setup/configuration can be automated and/or it might be "anonymous." You might be using one and not know, but they are pretty common. The KF does not support them at all and, IMO, is a major oversight by Amazon.

I'll see if I get lucky with a search and post an add-on for Windows 7 touch screen interface. It is not there in its native form. We're waiting for the "8" metro interface.

Though... I am a techie, I can't afford much of the new stuff so my knowledge of the new Windows phone interface is lacking.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The wife will use ours in our house, and at Starbucks or other Wifi hotspots. I dont think the proxy issue will be much of an issue. I would hope that eventually they will fix it though.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Top Bottom