• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    We got our first gas grill today and don't have a clue as to how to use it past getting the burners lit. We'll use it mostly for steaks.

We generally get thick cut steaks a-la HEB and like them medium to medium rare.

So, how high to set the burners and estimated cooking time?

Lid open or closed?

The grill we got is not big or fancy. It has 3 burners in the covered portion and a side burner that is like a gas stove.
    DK Firearms

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    IMHO preheat with full burners, put the steak on and sear it on both sides, then move to the top rack. Thin steak 12 minutes, thick steak 19 minutes. I have had the best luck timing the cooking, rather than just eyeing it.

Lid closed.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    You will have to learn by doing, every grill is different. We like our tenderloins rare to MR, so its full hot burners, 4-5 minutes a side, gives a good sear and cool to warm center This and the above post should give you some ballpark ideas on where to start. Just remember, you can't uncook something. I find chicken is the hardest to do well without burning or drying out.

I think you will find that the side burner is useless. They never get hot enough, especially if it's windy.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    IMHO preheat with full burners, put the steak on and sear it on both sides, then move to the top rack. Thin steak 12 minutes, thick steak 19 minutes. I have had the best luck timing the cooking, rather than just eyeing it.

Lid closed.
    this first burn it off what i mean by that is a soft wire brush.
    Scrub it ,then a light coat of oil (cooking lo) fire it up,450-475, burn it. Let cool,
    Wipe it down with oily rag leave it. When ready to cook on it. Pre heat 475. Rub meat with whatever you want.
    Sear, bar mar mark turning from right to left. Then turn down to bout 375.
    Touch when blood runs to the top, turn over repeating the bar mark.
    NOW SOME PEOPLE USE TIME, me i use touch.
    Touch on steaks is this.
    Take your arm turn it over like you were feeling for your pulse.
    Leave your hand open palm up. 2in back from your Palm touch.
    That's rare
    A in back med rare
    In Back med
    Ans so forth 2in from the elbow is well done
    Hope this helps

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Time it. Turn burners on high. When hot put your seasoned steaks onn and close lid. 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes . You will have to learn your grill and adjust for your tastes.

Personally i love the side burner for sautéing onions and other things .. i have mine set so the grill blocks the prevailing wind.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Kyle is right about the oil

it will season the metal parts a bit. If you don't, your food will taste weird the first couple of times you use it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    First thing is to order one of the valves that do not have the restricter on it. THere is one on Ebay that has a longer four foot tube and a adjustable valve on top. Ours is red. This way you can adjust the amount of gas going to the burners and get some HOT cooking going. Way better.

Also, buy an extra tank as a spare. You'll be cooking and the tank will go out right in the middle of your BBQ so that spare will come in handy when it DOES happen to you.

Last edited:

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    On gas grill the lis is always closed. I generally warm the grill and then turn off one burner. Seer the stakes fast and cook them slow.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Never been able to truly sear a steak on a propane grill. They just don't get hot enough, at least the $200 to $300 grills I've always bought. That being said, keep your burners clean! They clog up and cause cool spots down the line.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Never been able to truly sear a steak on a propane grill. They just don't get hot enough, at least the $200 to $300 grills I've always bought. That being said, keep your burners clean! They clog up and cause cool spots down the line.

That's why you need to swap out the saftey valve they ship with the grill. You can turn the gas up to get hotter tewmps. Just make sure not to melt your grill down.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Never been able to truly sear a steak on a propane grill. They just don't get hot enough...
    Same here. Every grill I've ever seen doesn't get hot enough for me. I have one of those 65,000 BTU burners for crawfish boils that I lay a cast iron grill pan or skillet on top of. I only let it run full tilt while pre-heating the pan, then turn it back a bit. For steaks it only takes 2min on one side and 90sec on the other and it's done. Let it rest on a warm plate so it's own residual heat will finish it off. For pork chops I do 2min on the first side, flip it, put a pat of compound butter on top, turn off the burner and cover it with a metal mixing bowl. The heat of the pan will finish cooking it. If it's a particularly thick steak the pork chop method would work good. I need to measure the pan temp, but I'd guess it's a little north of 600° ;)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

The standard Weber gas grill comes with a non-adjustable valve that puts out a measly 8psi or less of gas at WOT these days due to lawyers and liberals. Trade up to an adjustable 20PSI and crank the gas as high as you want BUT you can melt the aluminum grill tub at extreme temps so be careful or you will kill your $900 grill.

Fair warning that the one I bought has a dial that does not hold its position very well so I used a ink pen to mark the places where I want temps to be so I know where it is upon inspection.

$_1.jpg

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I need to measure the pan temp, but I'd guess it's a little north of 600° ;)

You are easily attaining this amount of heat, judging by my experience of using a turkey fryer and cast iron pan to smelt lead from WWs.

BTW I'm still not sure why I had subscribed to this thread a few days ago but everytime I see the title all I can think of is :

Propane+and+propane+accessories_23e4f9_4775206.jpg

Attachments

• Propane+and+propane+accessories_23e4f9_4775206.jpg
      Propane+and+propane+accessories_23e4f9_4775206.jpg
      42.6 KB · Views: 166
    Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Finally did some steaks and they came out OK. It took a little longer that charcoal and the flavor was not as good but still better that a frying pan or George Foreman grill.

Top Bottom