• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    figured I'd share my NEF 10ga single shot that I had modified into "Thumper" (IV8888 reference).

akvbnEr.jpg

Turned down to 18 5/8" to keep the aye tree eff off my porch, but now I want to add a red dot site to it since I lost the bead (and because I have a diabolical .780 round ball load for it, and I want to be able to know where that thing goes). Anyone ever soldered / screwed a pic rail on one of these? Side wall of the main pipe is 0.200" thick, plenty of meat.

Also, this is a 3.5" shell length shotty, but I'm getting primer blowouts on winchester BBB 3.5 goose loads.

Often times the shotgun breaks open when fired. How to fix?

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Sounds unsafe. I would not use it until it is repaired, and it will lock securely. Most likely loose lock-up is causing both problems.
    Again--UNSAFE.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    Sounds unsafe. I would not use it until it is repaired, and it will lock securely. Most likely loose lock-up is causing both problems.
    Again--UNSAFE.
    Okay. Where can I find a smith around Houston who understands these things and can perform the repair work and maybe add the pic rail?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Sounds like throwing good money at a bad project. Were there problems with lock up before cutting the barrel? By cutting the barrel you eliminated any choke the gun once had. My guess is now the choke is restricted causing excess pressure. I figure the action lock spring is no longer holding it closed for increased pressure.

The chamber area should be thick enough to drill tap to secure a mount. Hard telling if it would be up to the pressures.

As far as mounting a red dot, do you think some cheap chicom one can handle the recoil?

With 12 gauge 3.5 inch ammo available cheaper the 10 gauge why use a 10 gauge
    ?

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    There was no choke, full smooth bore the entire way. Maybe I need to open the bore up towards the muzzle? If the barrel is shorter, why would pressure increase?

Don't know if I'd go "cheap" red dot, maybe a bushnell would be the cheapest

Because it's a 10 gauge.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    There was no choke, full smooth bore the entire way. Maybe I need to open the bore up towards the muzzle? If the barrel is shorter, why would pressure increase?

Don't know if I'd go "cheap" red dot, maybe a bushnell would be the cheapest

Because it's a 10 gauge.
    Not all shotgun chokes are in the form of screw ins. Many especially single shot are formed at the muzzle end.

How was it cut? It very well could have burrs that are slowing down the wad, that could increase pressure. At the very lease you might want to chamfer the end of the muzzle.

Powders have burn rates. If there is excess unburned powder at the muzzle when it get more oxygen it could very well give you a greater flash & report. The report on guns are from the air rushing into the barrel from the vacuum that is formed. Problem physics or some shit over my head.

I could be wrong but I do believe shotgun red dots have to handle more recoil.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    Not all shotgun chokes are in the form of screw ins. Many especially single shot are formed at the muzzle end.

How was it cut? It very well could have burrs that are slowing down the wad, that could increase pressure. At the very lease you might want to chamfer the end of the muzzle.

Powders have burn rates. If there is excess unburned powder at the muzzle when it get more oxygen it could very well give you a greater flash & report. The report on guns are from the air rushing into the barrel from the vacuum that is formed. Problem physics or some shit over my head.

I could be wrong but I do believe shotgun red dots have to handle more recoil.
    It was turned and chamfered. I've done a fair bit of lathe work and this was a quality job. There's no burr.

Original muzzle bore 0.745" new muzzle bore 0.775", so an integral 0.015" wall choke was removed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom