ARJ Defense ad

NEF/H&R pump action shotguns. Got one today, learned interesting things.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is kind of random, but here is what I've got so far:

First thing I learned is that they're Chinese-built copies of the Remington 870, with only a few obvious changes. The biggest change is that without adding a spacer sleeve, you can't use an 870 barrel, because the distance to the mag tube nut is longer on the cheaper shotgun. With a sleeve to space it out, you could use an 870 barrel on the Chinese copy, but I don't see how you could go the other way around. This shotgun is built by Hawk Industries, who makes it for Norinco. The PLA apparently fields these shotguns, and my experience with communist weapons so far has been that they might be a little rough about the edges, but they tend to be very rugged and reliable so I've got good feelings there.

The mag tube nut is the same size as the 870. Magazine extensions should work just fine. As far as I can tell, the magazine is identical. The stocks are interchangeable. The stock screws are the same diameter and thread pitch, too.

The receiver on the Chinese gun is a fair bit stouter from what I can tell. It appears to be thicker in every area, especially with how they extended the flat portion on top of the receiver back farther toward the stock.

I compared this side by side in the shop to Mossberg's offering in the same price range, which was the Maverick 88. The action was nowhere near as smooth, I wasn't impressed with the safety's placement or its operation.

For $190 at Academy, I've got something that will work with the majority of 870 accessories out there. It has what appears to be a black phosphate finish and a drilled and tapped receiver ready to take a sight rail. Unlike the base model 870s and many Mossbergs, this shotgun came with a metal trigger guard.

I picked this one up for the wife (it's an 18" home defense model), but I think I'll be grabbing one for myself eventually. I'd been thinking about an 870 for myself, but what I just picked up today changed that.

Should be hitting the range with it next weekend. I've got a couple boxes each of #4 buck and 00 buck. Might have to grab some slugs for giggles, though the Mrs. wouldn't enjoy them so I won't even suggest it. I'm seriously considering putting a Knoxx stock on it, possibly the less expensive NRS version of the Spec Ops so that she can have a pistol grip on it.
    Guns International

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    We've had one in our rental fleet for the longest time. It gets nothing but slugs ran through it and never gets cleaned. Never have a problem with it in the 2 years I've been there.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I did the exact same in-store comparison between that and the Maverick about a year ago... I did like how solid the other one felt but went with the Maverick. Made in Texas

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I just got done comparing it to my friend's 870 (literally, the Chinese piece is still on my lap and the 870 is on the couch behind me). The only difference I saw this time that I hadn't noticed before is that the NEF's trigger guard has a different profile. The front is cut concave, where the 870 has more of a gentle slope to it. The more aggressive cut on the NEF makes it easier to reach the slide release with your strong hand.

Both trigger guards appear to be one kind of casting or another in my opinion (I'm not an expert, but I did work in that field for several years), the 870 (somewhat older, I don't know if it's changed on the metal guards that they use) obviously has a die cast trigger guard, but the NEF's looks like it's either metal injection molded (MIM) or just a better die casting (wouldn't surprise me, 20 years or so separate these guns) because the edges are just squarer, and it doesn't have all the convex surfaces that are one of the hallmarks of cheap and dirty die castings. The lines are so good that I wouldn't be surprised if it was milled under the somewhat sloppily-applied painted or powder-coated finish. That's one thing the NEF trigger guard does have - that orange-peeled finish indicative of aluminum that you're too cheap to anodize. The 870's finish is much better, even if the casting and machine work seem a little sloppier.

Be nice if I can get some range time this weekend.

I'm liking this shotgun enough so far that my plans are to get me one just like it, but build it up a little differently. This is going to be my wife's home-defense gun, so it's going to be low on the frills and big on practicality. New thread on that coming.

Ruger74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Splendora,Texas
    I bought one a few months back and shot 00 buck and rifled slugs thru it with no complaints. It is heavier than the 870 and if your looking for a HD shotgun that is going to sit in your closet for the price this is the one.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Bought one a couple of years ago 'cause I thought I had to have an HD shotty. Gotta say it is a pretty well made gun. Shoots and handles well. Maybe it's me but this thing kicks like a mule. A Knoxx stock might tame it but so far it's pretty much sitting in the safe all the time. Not a bad investment of less than $200.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Knoxx tames it down quite well. I've been shooting carbines so much that I automatically square off to the target and shoulder high and closer to the center of my chest than the normal "hunting" stance. No problem shooting buck and slugs that way. Shot recovery is pretty quick. Just had to break my rifle habit of taking a looser grip on the fore end, and it was jumping out of my hand.

The pistol grip really helps with manipulating the shotgun for things like reloading. In a home defense shotgun, it should help with retention. Just in case.

Top Bottom