• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Our little pond here is probably 1/3 acre, maybe even 1/4...tiny little thing, has otters/nutria/muskrats, snakes, turtles galore... never-ending bluegill and green sunfish...

About a month or so ago one of my boys nabbed a 3-4" LMB.... since then I've been hunting for more (unsuccessfully).

Today, another guy came and fished for 10 minutes and said he'd caught a few 1-2lb LMB

Anyhow, up near the bank weaving thru algae, I saw something I couldn't quite make out... turned out to be a black catfish, with a white stripe, and pink fins! Threw a stick-o at his head and failed miserably. Didn't even flinch.

Just looked it up and it seems this fish is native... to Brazil. I'm determined to catch it and some LMB if it's the last thing I do lol. We move in Oct/Nov but I'll probably still fish this damn pond everyday, almost no pressure at all.

Anyhow, that's my story and I figure I'd share

interwbz pic
    maxresdefault.jpg

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    been reading a bit, obviously a pet that was released... it's the fastest growing catfish, world record is 127lbs. this one may have been 12-18", so just a baby.

Hopefully it doesn't disrupt the pond to much given its potential size in relation to the pond size

Sent from my SIG Sauer

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    been reading a bit, obviously a pet that was released... it's the fastest growing catfish, world record is 127lbs. this one may have been 12-18", so just a baby.

Hopefully it doesn't disrupt the pond to much given its potential size in relation to the pond size

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    rman,

Truth is that the Red-tail Catfish is NOT a lot different in habits than our native Blue Catfish. - The Red-tails outgrow every aquarium (even my old 125 gallon tank) in a very few months/years.
    (The one that outgrew my big tank was about 30# when I gave it to an out-of-state public aquarium.)

Btw, the Red-tail is GOOD eating, so if you should catch him (as he is an "exotic species") kill/cook him, unless you can find a public aquarium that wants a nice fish.
    (I've eaten a considerable amount of filets in South America, when I was stationed down there.)

yours, satx

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    IIRC, it is illegal to release a non-native species into public water. Even a local pond. From what I know of that fish, it is good eating. Most catfish are really good eating about that size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    jrbfishn,

Your memory is 100% spot on. - Further, IF the TP&WD finds out about the Red-tail they may POISON THE POND to assure that the Red-tails don't get into lakes/rivers/etc.

yours, satx

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i gotta figure out how to get this guy. probably throw a hot dog on 1 rod and some chicken liver on another.

Also need to figure out how we've been fishing this tiny pond for months with no bass bites.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    i gotta figure out how to get this guy. probably throw a hot dog on 1 rod and some chicken liver on another.

Also need to figure out how we've been fishing this tiny pond for months with no bass bites.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

rman,

FYI, in Latin America we used pieces of shrimp and kidney for that species & caught LOTS of them.

yours, satx

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Small bluegills. Alive or cut up. They will scavenge, but they are predators.

maybe he's just full then, the bluegill and green sunfish in our pond are endless.

though I thought that fish didn't get full... brains didn't process that?

Sent from my SIG Sauer

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have caught fish that were so full they had tails sticking out of their gut and still trying to eat more. When you are food for every other fish and you grow from birth to death, and size is the only thing that keeps you from getting eaten, you eat as much and as fast as possible.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom