• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    You can, with my setup at least, set limits on the extent of adjustments you'll allow. Last time the rates skyrocketed I got two $25 bill credits on back to back days for allowing adjustment. The air temp in the house never went above 75 degrees during the day, and back down to 71 at night like usual. Honestly we didn't even notice it until the bill came.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    That's good.

If/when the internet goes down (for any reason/duration) you'll still be able to run your HVAC.

I truly feel for those who have relinquished control re consumption. The time will come when someone else says - so sorry, you've already used up your share.
    I am not so worried about that happening. you could cut all lines to my house and I would still be fine. I know enough to undo automated gadgets and go back to the old ways.

We also did just fine a couple of winters ago when the snowpocolyps left us without water or electricity for over a week.
    We also were not even slightly effected with the Covid scamdemic had grocery store shelves empty.

We are not crazy preppers, I just started life in the gawd awfull state of Illinois and learned that Mother Nature is a real bitch!
    We have always kept a decent stockpile of essentials.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I am not so worried about that happening. you could cut all lines to my house and I would still be fine. I know enough to undo automated cadges and go back to the old ways.

We also did just fine a couple of winters ago when the snowpocolyps left us without water or electricity for over a week.
    We also were not even slightly effected with the Covid scamdemic had grocery store shelves empty.

We are not crazy preppers, I just started life in the gawd awfull state of Illinois and learned that Mother Nature is a real bitch!
    We have always kept a decent stockpile of essentials.
    We're of the same mindset as you.

After we bought this place, I brought that skillset to here. Hand-pumped water, supply of firewood, cooking methods that require no fuel outside of what can be obtained here, etc. Left unmolested we can go for quite a while. (And we can take care of the molesters, too. hehe)

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy the hell out of having electricity, especially A/C, down here - but my years off-grid on the mountain, sometimes snowed in months at a time, only reinforced my passion for the old ways... and I've been lucky enough to have actually done it and lived it - not just read about it somewhere thinking 'yeah, I'll just do that...' <- which a lot of 'preppers' think all they have to do is buy some gear and supplies, and put them back without even opening the box, if you know what I mean. They're gonna be surprised, LOL. Stressful times - are not conducive for OTJ learning.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Here's another reason to really think about all this.... because it's a direct path into your house, and life.

The vid at the top is the first story, the article itself is in response to it.

Although the title is a tad click-bait, the matter itself is not tinfoil.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Here's another reason to really think about all this.... because it's a direct path into your house, and life.

The vid at the top is the first story, the article itself is in response to it.

Although the title is a tad click-bait, the matter itself is not tinfoil.

it's a good time for people to read the book, or watch the movie "I Robot" again.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Not getting it. What’s the problem with walking over to the Tstat and adjusting it? I’ve got a programmable, but for the life of me would not know how to program it. When I leave for any any amount of time, I bump it up or down. When I get back I adjust it again. It’s not that difficult. How soft have we become?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Not getting it. What’s the problem with walking over to the Tstat and adjusting it? I’ve got a programmable, but for the life of me would not know how to program it. When I leave for any any amount of time, I bump it up or down. When I get back I adjust it again. It’s not that difficult. How soft have we become?

Same here.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    There's three kinds of thermostats. 1. Manual 2. Programmable 3. Automatic.

Manual is obvious, and programmables are a major pain in the rear. Those are the ones you have to play button gymnastics to set what time of day you want it at whatever temperature, and that's all they do. Basically saves you the trip to the wall, but not really because schedules change, and they're such a pain to program everyone puts them on manual.

The newest models (Ecobee, Nest, newer Honeywell, newer Trane, etc.) are automatic, and in my view more of an evolution of the manual thermostat. You give it your comfort levels, and it maintains them. They'll monitor the weather, the inside temp and humidity not only at the wall, but anywhere you place a room sensor, room occupancy, etc. They'll do things like prevent your pipes from freezing when you went out of town and turned the switch to 'off' and the temp drops. The thermostat enforces safety limits without a trip to the wall, or having to log into the app. They'll do things like proactively recirculate the air without turning on the A/C or furnace to help maintain climate balance and prevent stale air. If you equipment supports it (e.g. variable speed compressors) they'll not only monitor but control the humidity in the house. Keeps you more comfortable, prevents nasty problems like mold, keeps the house from smelling 'stale.'

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Thats what I really like about the nest; I can walk up to it, it'll tell me what the temp is at the unit, if the system is on or off, what its target temp is, what the weather is, and an estimated time (based on history) on when it think it'll get to the desired temperature. Acts just like a manual thermostat with a few other features. Great!

The programmable part is fantastic too: I can tell it by 7:30am (on my phone or computer) on Wednesdays I'd like it to be 70 degrees so I can hop out of bed and its a comfortable temperature, but since I sleep in on Thursdays I'd like it to get up to 70 at 8am. Instead of trying to program a weekly and time schedule using 4 buttons, I have a graphical interface showing me exactly what I did plus I can change it in about 30 seconds instead of digging out a manual. Alternatively I can set it to a learning mode and after a couple weeks if it learns I set the temperature 5 degrees higher at about 1pm, it'll predict that eventually and do it automatically. Its not perfect but gets reasonably close as if you had a room mate helping with the thermostat. Here's the interface for programming it, tell me this isn't infinitely easier than the 4 button programmable boxes most people have had on their walls since the late 90s

Screenshot 2023-03-31 094621.jpg

Additionally, if your phone's location shows you're away, it automatically bumps the temperature up or down based on what you want. The AI isn't there yet to really detect when you're coming back from a random fishing trip, but the learning part starts to learn if you normally get home at 5:30 every day it'll know how long it takes to take the temp from 78 to 72 and start it ahead of time. Similarly, I have the learning aspect turned off because of my work from home and random weekend trips; if I leave for the day it'll change the temp appropriately and turn on cameras, or whatever else I tell it to do; I can program the system to listen to calming music so my dog/cat has something to listen to. BUT if I head out for the day and 2 hours before I know I'm coming home, I can set the temp from its energy saving mode to comfort setting and by the time I'm home its comfortable again.

I don't' think its a matter of soft or hardness, but when used smartly it can save electricity by not heating or cooling an empty house, or having to mess with a horrid "programmable" old style thermostat. Now I'm not suggesting its right for everyone since I live alone but when I did have someone else living here they also liked it. If your house is like grand central with people coming and going or always there, yeah it wouldn't make much sense since it'll likely be set to a comfortable temperature at all hours of the day anyway.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I like the ability to set and change the programming of my thermostat from my phone or laptop rather than having to set times and temperatures on a small keypad on the thermostat. During the holidays when weather conditions changed, I was able change the settings although I was several hundred miles away. However I do not want to allow the utility company or anyone else to decide what settings it maintains.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I replaced my HVAC a couple years ago but kept the old school thermostat. Has a little glass tube with mercury in it...works perfectly.
    Warm? Slide the lever one way...Cold? Slide it the other way. Simple. No phone required. Also not bothered by internet connection being out, or electrical surges, no computer board either.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    I replaced my HVAC a couple years ago but kept the old school thermostat. Has a little glass tube with mercury in it...works perfectly.
    Warm? Slide the lever one way...Cold? Slide it the other way. Simple. No phone required. Also not bothered by internet connection being out, or electrical surges, no computer board either.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    Me too. I got this:

Attachments

• 2016_28_img3.jpeg
      2016_28_img3.jpeg
      37.5 KB · Views: 24
    Top Bottom