Never make assumptions concerning conceal carry.

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by TJ Willy, Nov 3, 2008.

1. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    This is not really Texas CHL related.

I stumbled across this video watching some SWAT related training vids. It is a school related administrative video concerning dress codes. It was a reminder to me to never under estimate what one could be up against in a BG. Primarily what he/she might have concealed.

CLICKY

2. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I've seen that over the years and it is a real eye opener, but that's what they wanted. In reality, that kid could not have walked and acted near normal with all that weight and nothing apparently secured.

But he sure could have had 2-3 of them and no one would have ever known it.

3. djspump2003

djspump2003 Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Austin
    Yeah, I'd like to see someone try and walk with a shotgun shoved down their pant leg.

The best video is still the one where that HUGE DEA agent shoots himself in the foot at a training seminar.

4. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin

"I'm the only one trained enough to carry this gun..." *BANG* .....*pause*..... "Is everyone ok?.."

LMFAO!

How about finger straight and off the trigger? and it was a Glock, which means he must have really pulled on it.

5. fm2

fm2 Event Coordinator

Apr 27, 2008
    Yep, that makes me think :rolleyes:

when I read or hear " I can't carry that " gun" it's too big to conceal".

6. TJ Willy

TJ Willy Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    Yep... I know you can't walk around with a shotgun down your the pants. But the point is still made.

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Is that a shotgun in your pants or are you just REALLY glad to see me? :p

8. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Do you carry on a regular basis? Just wondering...

I find such statements perfectly understandable, personally. I carry a Glock 27/.40 in an inside-the-pants holster (Uncle Mike's) and even though it is a compact gun by design, the sheer bulk and weight make it, depending on what I'm wearing, somewhat difficult to conceal. Either my shirt is too tight or it's not long enough, even though I've went out and bought "carry" shirts. I now carry a single spare 15 round magazine instead of the smaller, 9 round magazines and all of that weight of the gun and the ammo adds up.

I don't get these people who think it's "cool" or even reasonable to suggest that they carry a .50 Desert Eagle or anything even similar. Not anyone on this board, but I've seen it on others.

Even my .38 special in my ankle holster is heavier than you'd expect when put on your ankle. (which is why it's only a backup and why I almost always just carry my Glock.) The weight and mass can even make it somewhat akward to walk especially if I'm wearing light running shoes like usual. Throws you off balance. I guess I need to either carry a third gun on my other leg or a couple more spare magazines. :fighting0010:

9. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Speaking of videos, see the one where the guy shooting the Glock at a range shoots a round through his hand? It's all over Youtube.

He had apparently attached a handle to the bottom rail of an auto-converted Glock and it failed. (from what I've heard; hard to tell from the video.)

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

To properly and comfortably conceal and carry, "good" gun leather is a must. That includes a belt designed for carrying the weight of a gun. I don't know how to convey how important gear is to successful carry, yet people still try to use inferior holsters and belts not designed for it and complain that carrying and/or concealing is hard.

I even carry without a belt pretty successfully, and that includes in athletic shorts with the elastic, drawstring waist like basketball shorts. But for that I use an Alessi Dual Talon I was lucky to get my hands on. But the best carry, it's usually a Brommeland belt and holster (Presentation Grade Max Con V) unless I'm wearing one of my Jim, "The Beltman" belts or even Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch Insructors belt. The Wilderness is great for casual wear and is much better that a regula belt, but still doesn't match a good leather gun belt. All that wthout looking like a SWAT team wanna be but just a guy. :happy0001: