Guns International

New bill: "... recognition of a nonresident license to carry a concealed handgun"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I just read all 142 posts (maybe not real good though) The only reason(s) I went with a Florida license were time and money. I can easily get a Texas license and probably will at some point, it was just easier to get the Fla. They accept my 10 years of military training and money and if Texas would accept my DD214 I wouldn't have to sit thru the class. I'm not knocking the class by any means--I'm sure it is a very benefical class for some.

Just an old guys opinion.

John

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    A case which has been dismissed by a judge should not be counted as a conviction.
    Deferred adjudication is just that... it is postponing the decision on your guilt or lack thereof.
    A deferral and a dismissal are two different things.
    Alas...we have went round and round about this before.

Consitutional carry would eliminate this issue. I would sooner support that then helping Texans get out of state licenses.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Deferred adjudication is just that... it is postponing the decision on your guilt or lack thereof.
    A deferral and a dismissal are two different things.

After the probation is completed, the judge dismisses the charge. That's part of the deferral. But, it is still counted against people even though the charge has been dismissed.

Agree it has been discussed already, and Constitutional carry would be great. I'd still want a CHL for carrying in other States though.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I just read all 142 posts (maybe not real good though) The only reason(s) I went with a Florida license were time and money. I can easily get a Texas license and probably will at some point, it was just easier to get the Fla. They accept my 10 years of military training and money and if Texas would accept my DD214 I wouldn't have to sit thru the class. I'm not knocking the class by any means--I'm sure it is a very benefical class for some.

John

With respect for your service....how does serving equate to knowing our laws?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    After the probation is completed, the judge dismisses the charge. That's part of the deferral. But, it is still counted against people even though the charge has been dismissed.
    Actually, if the person successfully completes the terms, a "non finding of guilt" is entered. Quite different from a dismissal. I can simply look at a case disposition and tell the difference between a dismissal and a deferred.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Actually, if the person successfully completes the terms, a "non finding of guilt" is entered. Quite different from a dismissal. I can simply look at a case disposition and tell the difference between a dismissal and a deferred.

I've taken deferrals for speeding tickets and the cases were dismissed. Are class Bs different?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio

John
    I have no issue with your service time allowing a pass on the shooting qual but it still does not help you know Texas law, neither does holding a Fla license.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    London, I dont have any issue with you personally, nor do I have an issue with people convicted of crimes not being able to get a CHL...I think the only folks that are going to support issuing CHLs to those with convictions....are those with convictions. I dont ever see that changing in Texas.

Unfortunately I agree with you. Judging on the legal system's complete inability to ever forgive any but the most minor of crimes (infractions), I'd say it will only get worse. Case in point: my deferment shows up on background checks. Getting hired is a real bitch when people see "Interference with duties of a public servant." I imagine most of them think I'm crazy and got in a fight with a cop.

I do disagree that Texas licenses are very easy to get. Texas licenses may be somewhat easy to qualify for concerning backgrounds and very easy to qualify for concerning the shooting portion, but the process still sets people back $300. I know plenty of people who don't have one for just that reason.

Those in the know tell me it's easy to qualify. Affording it is another beast entirely. (I don't think the impoverished should automatically be debarred their constitutional rights due to lack of income of all things, but that's another argument).

Concerning the OP, if I had to bet I'd say our legislators will vote for what's worst for society, as usual.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    The reason i dont have a Texas CHL and the reason i wanted the FL CWP was because after i took the Texas class and paid all my money the state decieded that they needed a Psyc Eval since i applied days after i got out of the Army. I took them my military eval and they said that wouldnt work. I would have to pay a STATE Shrink to do the eval because they need the blurb "Clear of all mental defects that would prevent safe and proper handling of a firearm." Because the Military eval didnt say those exact words, which are implied on any military eval that states you are clear, the state wanted me to pay one of thier shrinks $900 more to get my CHL.

Top Bottom