Join TexasGunTalk

New cartridge from Hornady!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by smittyb, Jun 3, 2020.

1. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Not to mention if the military does convert from 5.56 to the 6arc, just image the average kid coming out of boot camp able to effectively shoot & engage targets out to 800-1000yrds. I think our troops could benefit from a round like this. If they convert over, it would be nice to get brass ammo under .40 cents that shoots like a 6.5 grendel. Instead of $1 for Grendel....unless you reload.

Axxe55 likes this.
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    We need a 6.25 AR14

3. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I don't feel that's a realistic expectation. It's going to take a lot more than basic training to get the average soldier to be able to engage moving targets at those distances. It's hard enough to do that at 300 yards. Switching to 6 ARC is going to increase the weight of the ammo too, which means either soldiers will have to lug around more weight, or carry less ammo. It's also going to have more recoil. Not a lot, but enough. The less recoil a round has, the faster the follow up shot is going to be. The faster the follow up shot, the higher the hit probability on those 300 yard moving targets.

As a specialized round for specific situations, the 6 ARC could be a very good round. As a replacement for 5.56? I don't see how this round is going to benefit the average infantryman who has to occasionally kick in doors and typically engages targets at less than 300 yards.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

seeker_two and Axxe55 like this.
  4. EZ-E

EZ-E Freedom vs Tyranny 2020 TGT Supporter

May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    The 5.56 is long over due for upgrade for our military. I think it could be the upgraded American version of 7.62x39. Its flatter shooting & has a heavier bullet than the 5.56. It would give our military an advantage in the field... no matter kicking doors or 300 yards on out. I see 1 bullet fitting tons of applications & making a do all round. The military would not have to worry about different calibers stocked for different roles.

Axxe55 likes this.
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The 458 SOCOM and 6.8 SPC II were also designed for the military. We've all seen how far that went.
    I like the AR-15,and have 5 of them,but I'm tired of guy's trying to make it into a long range weapon. It's Not! It is a short to mid-range weapon,and always will be.
    You can't make any cartridge that's limited with a COAL of 2.250" - 2.300" ever have the velocity that a standard Short Action type cartridge can produce. And,it will always be 300 - 400 fps slower.

It's far easier and makes more sense to use a large frame AR ( AR-10 style) weapon,and shoot standard style/size cartridges if you want to shoot past 800 yards. The 6 ARC doesn't hold a candle to a 243 or 6mm Creedmoor,and the gun doesn't weigh much more than an AR-15 depending on how it is setup.
    My LR-260 doesn't weigh much more than anyone's 6.5 Grendel,but it will always shoot the same weight bullet a lot faster.

Big Green, Axxe55 and Maverick44 like this.
  6. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

Why is the 5.56 due for an upgrade? It works, it's light, and it's easy to shoot. It's a proven round with decades of development behind it.. There is no reason to replace it. There's a reason that the Ruskies switched from 7.62x39 to 5.45x39. Bigger is not always better.

You're not going to get a 30 cal round capable of long range shooting without sacrificing the shootability of a gun. 7.62 NATO did what you want, and it was for the most part dropped because of a lot of the reasons I've discussed. It's good for machine gun use, not for standard issue rifles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    Mohawk600 and Big Green like this.
  7. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    How many years do you think it will take the military to switch over from 5.56? They have giant stockpiles of weapons and ammo in 5.56, and this isn't the kind of change that's drastically needed for the battlefield. I think I'll pass.

8. Big Green

Big Green I Eat Crayons. YUT! TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I had never even heard of this round until I got an email Wednesday morning from Brownells. Headline said something like “1000yds out of your AR.” Are you doing anything but punching holes in paper at that distance with it?

I’ve fired ARs out to 500yds on man sized paper targets and would like to try a little further with a little more precision. Not to engage any sort of live target, but just for the challenge. I would think learning to read wind at those distances with a 5.56 would be a challenge. Am I wrong in assuming this new round would be the same at 1000? Just to improve your skill set and punch holes in paper?

I agree with the poster that said the AR-15 platform is not the right tool for that job.

I sure would like to have a large frame AR in 338LM though!!!!

9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At over $6K, those things are outta my financial league.

10. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't understand this at all. The 6mmAR cartridge has been around for a long time with lots of development and match use. You can go to the website of the developer and buy uppers, accessories, everything.

This new 6mmARC is essentially identical. Why go to the trouble of introducing it? The market for people who really need a good 6mm based on the .220 Russian already knew about the 6mmAR. Does Hornady think people are going to buy their stuff just because it has their name on the box?

Maybe I'm just being snippy because in their YT videos, Hornady repeatedly boasts that they developed the cartridge. They most assuredly did not.

Darkpriest667 likes this.