• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saylin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    Getting a chl as a veteran should be super easy and cheap now. We can already have the course waived and now with price reduction it should not cost more than $75-$100 for your permit.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Getting a chl as a veteran should be super easy and cheap now. We can already have the course waived and now with price reduction it should not cost more than $75-$100 for your permit.

Veterans cannot get the course waived. IF the veteran has qualified with a handgun in the last 5 years in a substantially similar course, the veteran can skip the shooting test. He has to show evidence of the substantially similar qualification.

Fee for current military or veterans out less than a year pay no license fee to the state, over a year out the fee is only $25.

Saylin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    My mistake, I am over 5 years too

any idea what I should expect to pay for everything including fingerprints? 100% disabled vet, been out almost 3 years

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yeah, but it looks cool... Don't be jealous :cool:

Gets you discounts at some stores. Home Dept and Lowes gives discounts on Vet Day and Memorial day. They are not supposed to, but they often give the discount on any day if you ask. I don't bother with small purchases, but anything over $100 I ask, and have never been refused.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    home depot and lowes gives 10% off all personal purchases every day with proof of being a veteran, active duty, family member or a couple others that I can't remember right now. This is 24/7 365.

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    home depot and lowes gives 10% off all personal purchases every day with proof of being a veteran, active duty, family member or a couple others that I can't remember right now. This is 24/7 365.

fwiw, I was talking about having Vet on your DL, as I don't think using your chl card as an ID on a regular basis is a great idea.

Google Home Dept and Lowes official policy on Vet discounts. Officially, for Vets it only applies on certain holidays. Active duty etc get the discount 24/7. However it depends on who is checking you out, and how the store mgr has set the policy. It appears some stor managers simply give the discuount rather than cause ill feelings. I only ask on large purchases, and in most cases I,ve been given the discount.

Sorry for the thead drift.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    fwiw, I was talking about having Vet on your DL, as I don't think using your chl card as an ID on a regular basis is a great idea.

Google Home Dept and Lowes official policy on Vet discounts. Officially, for Vets it only applies on certain holidays. Active duty etc get the discount 24/7. However it depends on who is checking you out, and how the store mgr has set the policy. It appears some stor managers simply give the discuount rather than cause ill feelings. I only ask on large purchases, and in most cases I,ve been given the discount.

Sorry for the thead drift.

I used to have this regular customer she was in her 70's. She always wrote checks and every time shed use her chl for the form of id. She was a packing a 38 special.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    IIRC, when I applied the fee for seniors and Vets was the same, and since age was already evident by virtue of a TDL, a DD-214 copy was just one less piece of paperwork either side needed to deal with.

Top Bottom