• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    New Seminars suggest "Fight Back" to Gunmen Shooting Students in Colleges. "Throw backpacks !!! This will very Impress the shooter.
    Hurley's Gold

wildcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    We know a Texas Teacher who keeps an AK-47 in his gym bag under his desk. "I welcome some idiot with a Glock 19 to come in" "They would be straping him off the walls in 20 seconds" Texas has a tridition. The only southern state not invaded during the Civil War. An entire ARMY tried to invade during the BATTLE OF SABINE PASS. SMALL GROUP (20?) sank 3 ships---captured 500 men---rest went back to New Orleans. TEXAS

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The average backpack weighs about 30 lbs. loaded. If you can get a good swing in with that you will take someone to the ground. Me personally, I prefer dropping the backpack, and legging it.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Let's market some "Texas Gun Talk" brand up-armored backpacks!! $19.99 upgrade and comes with sheepskin lining to protect the ballistic plates from wear/tear to the parkerized finish!

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Let's market some "Texas Gun Talk" brand up-armored backpacks!! $19.99 upgrade and comes with sheepskin lining to protect the ballistic plates from wear/tear to the parkerized finish!

I'd prefer the Texas Bookmore. It's a claymore woven into the backpack and filled with additional options like roofing nails, rock salt, additional ball bearings, etc.

Why stop the bullet when you can paint the walls.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    New Seminars suggest "Fight Back" to Gunmen Shooting Students in Colleges. "Throw backpacks !!! This will very Impress the shooter.

I can't believe this crap.

They start with the "no weapons" policy, according to them for our own safety.
    Then, when they have a "shooter" they form a perimeter and wait. Why, why, why?
    Now they suggest (while they are armed, massed, and from a defendable position) the students throw backpacks at the Gunmen. :banghead:

Prof: Okay, students prepare for full frontal charge! Ready backpacks, fix pencils & rulers, CHARGE !

WTF, over?

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas

It's not about impressing the shooter. It is a stop gap measure that is legal, hence can be suggested to students as a viable working solution - one of many. It may buy you some time or cause enough of a distraction such that folks have a chance to either mount a better assault on the shooter (which isn't likely because people rarely instantaneously and spontaneously band together for coordinated assaults) or to effect an escape. You don't have to defeat the shooter per se, but to defeat the shooter's ability to hurt you.

The problem is that in most such shooting situations, people don't fight back at all. Even when faced with being trapped in the same room with a shooter, such as Cho, they opt to try to hide behind desks and such, as if Cho could not find them. So, he casually walked around and shot people. They failed to defeat his ability to hurt them.

In the class where the Jewish professor helped barricade the door and was shot and killed, it could be argued that impromtu barricades are not effective. This is somewhat true. It took Cho a bit more time to get in the room, but he did, and he killed the prof along the way. However, several students managed to escape in that short period of time because of the delay, thereby defeating Cho's ability to hurt them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'll never understand that "hide" mentality, especially when faced with certain death. F that, I'll fight to the death if I have to, stabbing with pencils, protractors or whatever I happen to have on hand. I may still get killed, but I would take pleasure in knowing that I made my attacker feel some pain or lose an eye or something, or that he was bleeding so bad he would be right behind me in death. ;)

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    I teach martial arts at our local community college, and I tell the students that are enrolled in high school or college (or that are teachers at either) that "house rules" apply. You can use anything in the house (or in this case, the classroom). I can just see some would-be-badguy beat to death with one of those single desk/chair units. And if they have those 7' flagpoles still inside the classrooms (assuming you could get to it), it's gonna be badguy-on-a-stick. I subscribe to the United 93 "Let's Roll" mentality. Sure maybe one or two will get hit, but a lot more than that will certainly die if no even tries to fight the BG.

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    I teach martial arts at our local community college, and I tell the students that are enrolled in high school or college (or that are teachers at either) that "house rules" apply. You can use anything in the house (or in this case, the classroom). I can just see some would-be-badguy beat to death with one of those single desk/chair units. And if they have those 7' flagpoles still inside the classrooms (assuming you could get to it), it's gonna be badguy-on-a-stick. I subscribe to the United 93 "Let's Roll" mentality. Sure maybe one or two will get hit, but a lot more than that will certainly die if no even tries to fight the BG.

I'll never listen to the song "She Blinded Me With Science" the same way.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas

I don't know about now, but when I was in college, any bad guy who came into a Chemistry lab could very easily have had two or three types of concentrated acid, sulphuric, nitric, and hydrochloric, thrown on him. One drop of that in the eye, and he is likely blinded until he can arrange a corneal transplant. And, if he was drenched in it pretty good, it is like being burned at the stake as far as pain is concerned. The level of pain could be pretty dehabilitating. As a professor, I carry what I can legally. That means pepper spray (actually a mixture of OC and CS in an oil base), and I usually have a 400,000 volt stunner handy. It is not much, but it is better than nothing. One thing is sure, if you are dealing with a nutjob like Cho, then it is not likely to be a question of dying or not dying. The question is whether you will be slaughtered like a sheep or go down fighting.

Thumper_6119

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
    My wife works for a local jr college here, and incidentally she had to attend a "Risk Management" training class this week. The instructor got up there and touted how he was ex-military blah blah blah, and was martial arts trained blah blah blah, and this and that blah blah blah, and his instruction for staff dealing with an armed assailant on campus was "RUN". If that was the case, wouldn't a track star be better suited to teach the class? IMO, this was nothing more than a liability shield for the jr college in the event that something did kick off on campus, they could say they couldn't be sued because they afforded training in how to deal with the situation. Needless to say, my Klingon bride was verbose in her opposing opinion to the RUN response. She didn't make brownie points with the instructor or the staff conducting the training. (She's not a sheeple).

ChicagoTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Allen, TX
    I'll never understand that "hide" mentality, especially when faced with certain death.

The issue isn't people hiding when faced with certain death, it's how quickly they realize that it is, indeed, certain death.

Denial ain't just a river in Africa...

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    What has turned the majority of people into "sheeple"? Was it the 60's and 70's? Peace and Love? I don't know about you guys, but when I'm in class at college, I feel naked without my "buddy" and all his "friends". lol

Top Bottom