• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXevolution84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2023
    Houston
    Hi all,

I’m a 38 year old guy looking for a new start in life.

I’ve lived in Houston all my life and worked a few dead-end jobs in the printing industry here, and it’s time to move on. I’m trying to find an affordable, quiet smaller town with more enjoyable outdoor activities for my dog and I.

Lockhart, Seguin, Boerne are some that come to mind. What are some others towns I should check out?

Currently also looking at new career options. I’m not really sure where to even begin at my age. I’ve never done any type of blue collar work, but I’m open to it.

Just dropping a line out there, looking for any suggestions.

Thanks
    ARJ Defense ad

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    IMG_3947.png

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Hi all,

I’ve lived in Houston all my life and worked a few dead-end jobs in the printing industry here, and it’s time to move on. I’m trying to find an affordable, quiet smaller town with more enjoyable outdoor activities for my dog and I.

Lockhart, Seguin, Boerne are some that come to mind. What are some others towns I should check out?

Currently also looking at new career options. I’m not really sure where to even begin at my age. I’ve never done any type of blue collar work, but I’m open to it.

Thanks
    It's not wise to continue to look for a future in a dying industry. I knew a former printing industry person who decided to become a truck driver. It was much more profitable and rewarding for him.

TXevolution84

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2023
    Houston
    It's not wise to continue to look for a future in a dying industry. I knew a former printing industry person who decided to become a truck driver. It was much more profitable and rewarding for him.
    Yes I’ve been out for a couple of years now and I definitely would not consider returning to it ever. Truck driving sounds like a good field to take a look at.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Welcome to our group

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Welcome from Bastrop.

Of your listed areas, I would choose Borene. Close to SanAntonio for job opportunities and at the edge of the Hill Country for lots of recreational opportunities.

I agree also with Wudidiz. Avoid Austin at all costs. Run by commies and far too many homeless.
    I live in Bastrop. It is a nice area, but gets more Austin overflow every day.

And the printing industry is far from dead.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I live in Boerne and work in SAT; bring a fat wallet to live in Boerne. Grew up in Pflugerville when it was 3-digit population; 30 years ago I’d have said go to San Angelo and did. Today I’d look at Abilene, Temple, or maybe Longview. Alpine might be an option as would Wichita Falls.

I mentor .mil members who are leaving the service and tell them they can choose one of three options below:

1. Location.
    2. Money.
    3. Company or role.

Want to make six figures, you can do that as a garbage collector in San Francisco. Want to live on the coast? You can do that affordably in a few places, but you’ll be limited in what jobs are there. Want to work in a F100 company? DFW/Austin/Houston, and to a much lesser extent SAT have options. In SAT, you may end up living in Adkins to work for major defense and aviation contractors; Dallas for finance. Houston or the oil fields for energy.

Those initial choices get your foot in the door and your desire and performance unlocks other options.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    welcome

if i was starting from scratch (near houston) i’d hit up texas jack’s in fredericksburg
    1688610340241.png

You're in east LA, right? :green:

Welcome TX, from a recovering Houstonian. Feelin mo gooder ever day. :p

W. Bellfort & Hillcroft area, you?

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

I’ve lived in Houston all my life and worked a few dead-end jobs in the printing industry here, and it’s time to move on.
    Dammit, stirring up some almost extinct brain cells. When I was 15 or 16, I worked at a print shop on, or barely east of Hillcroft and south of Bellaire. Graphic Concepts, owner was Noel Gage. You know him? :laughing:

Top Bottom