• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    I hope for some input on this I am buying a large gun safe it 72" high 50" wide and weight is 1700 Lbs and I have a worry about the unheated garage I was thinking of putting it. What do you think about the cold or heat would do to my gun collection?
    Target Sports

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I have been wondering the same thing. I hope someone says yes or no.

IMO, though, I would think that so long as you had a dry rod or a lot of silica packets you ought to be fine. But, this is just in my head I think it would work. And, by silica packets I don't mean a butt load of the ones that come in your shoes. I mean the big bags of silica you can buy.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    They make de-humidifiers for safes. Moisture is an enemy to metal. I would consider that. Ammo and wood like moderate temperatures, not too hot or cold. 55-75 I am guessing would be safe. I will be doing the same and I will make the garage climate controlled.

junkyguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have my safe in the garage , I use a product called damp rid it is a refillable bucket of the powder that absorbs moisture you have to change it about every 30-40 days it works great ,I also have a golden rod heater in mine which stays on 24/7 I haven't had any major problems other than I went hnting this year and was gone for 20 days ,before i left I meantto changethe damp rid and didn't .It rained in dallas almostthe whole time I was gone and when i returned I had a couple of specs starting on a couple of my rifles nothing that an oil rag wouldn't sove but it was there none the less. another thing when it is raining or very cold you just want to avoid opening your safe unless you just have to,you let in moisture and the elemnts you have in place have to start all over again to fight the damp air.
    other than that the garage is an ok place when you have friends over you can hang out in the garage and show off your stuff with being in the house where it is nice and warm or nice and cool ! plus it is easier to sneak in those un - announced guns !

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I have resisted putting in the garage. I wouldn't rule it out but there are some factors to consider. First, how secure the garage itself is. Second, be aware someone could use your own tools to further break in. Third, the insulation of the garage itself. Lastly, for me anyway, if the garage is detached or not. It would be better IMO, if it was not as you would be closer to the guns as well in a better position to obtain or know if someone was attempting to get them (assuming you were home).

Still worth considering however, a last resort, IMO.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    Consider building a sub structure in your garage, the size of a small closet. Properly constructed and insulated it would be easier to control the humidity and temperature.

Hang a "Toilet" and "Out Of Order" sign on it to deter thieves from finding out what is inside

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    we used to have our safe in the garage just make sure you keep it mounted to the floor very well.. when we got broken into they tried to pry the safe up with tools out our own garage

Top Bottom