• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AbbyLyn906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2015
    Mckinney
    Hi y'all, I'm 21 and I'd like to get into shooting. I don't really have any experience. My father and I went up to a range the other day and shot a .22, which was like a bb gun -__- so I tried a 9mm. That was a little more of a challenge. I enjoy the challenge haha. Right now it's a hobby but when I get comfortable enough shooting I plan on having a gun in my car and in my home for protection purposes. I'm not sure whether or not i'll get a CHL and carry but I have plenty of time to think. Feel free to message me to say hi, or any advice y'all have for a noob!
    Capitol Armory ad

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Welcome. I must say, your first thread is getting attention. We've got lots of active folks in the DFW area.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Welcome from "just to the south of y'all". Try out lots'a guns - suggest it's money well spent to go to Bullet Trap and rent a few different ones, see what you like or not. Might find you love 1911's or Smith revolvers... Never can tell. best thing is - it's FUN to try, and you learn a lot.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Welcome. Nice thing about this hobby, is you never stop learning and finding new things you like. Meet with some of the other members in that area and have fun.

AbbyLyn906

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2015
    Mckinney
    Welcome from "just to the south of y'all". Try out lots'a guns - suggest it's money well spent to go to Bullet Trap and rent a few different ones, see what you like or not. Might find you love 1911's or Smith revolvers... Never can tell. best thing is - it's FUN to try, and you learn a lot.

I went to Target Master, I haven't been to the bullet trap yet. It was closed on the day that I went. I know I need to try a few more before I actually buy a gun but that really does rack up some money to try their guns.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Is Target Master that new upscale outfit in Frisco? Bullet Trap in Plano runs $20-ish to rent a lane (per person unfortunately), and $5 or perhaps $10 to rent a gun, pus ammo (don't have to use theirs, if you know what you want to shoot going in). All this is several months old info so may have changed. Their lanes are indoors.

Garland Public range is where I usually go, but they have a very limited rental capacity. Only $15 to go (plus a 1-time $15 membership first visit). They are outdoors.

So you've spent $90 or so and know what a certain gun/frame size shoots like. You may already know you are glad you didn't spend 4-5 times that on a gun you don't like to shoot.

I'd let the guys behind the counter renting you stuff guide you. Since they aren't selling you anything, they will want you to like what your shoot. I carried a Bersa Thunder in .380 for a long time, and liked it. Now I carry a Shield in .40 - about the same size gun, but shoots a stouter round. But I also don't mind the stouter recoil.

A lot will depend on your physical size and strength and tolerance to recoil (which will change as you become more practiced). My wife (5'8", size 14) flat hates recoil so is reluctant to shoot much of anything. But recoil equates with power. In a self defense moment, recoil will be the last thing you'll worry about. But it will affect your practice both in frequency and depth. If you hate the gun, you won't practice often or shoot many rounds when you do. Then in a SHTF situation your defense rests on limited practice and confidence.

Please consider your first gun likely won't be your only-ever gun. People trade them and collect them. So as you gain experience, and try friend's guns/rental guns, you'll settle on favorite(s). Good luck. There are folks here who will help you out any way they can.

Top Bottom