Join TexasGunTalk

New Member Living in DFW

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KPTX, Apr 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Welcome to TGT.

Your Texas LTC is handy when buying from a FFL. Your out of state license not so much.

2. KPTX

KPTX New Member TGT Supporter

Apr 5, 2020
    Grapevine, TX
    Sounds like I may not be getting my hands on many of the guns I'll be eyeballing. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for both the welcome & putting things in a much better perspective.

3. KPTX

Apr 5, 2020
    Grapevine, TX
    Ya know, this makes me curious now bc while I still had a valid AR DL I was able to buy pistols with my FL CCL so I wonder if different places just process differently??

4. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    :welcome:

KPTX likes this.
  5. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    No. You can still buy pistols here. You still have to fill out the 4473 form. The difference is, with a Texas LTC, they don't have to run the ATF background check, so there's no wait while they call it in or check online. They just check your paperwork, take your money and you're on your way.

A lot of times it doesn't make a huge difference, but sometimes the ATF is a bit slow in responding or a bit busy so getting to skip that part is an advantage. Plus the dealers like it since they know they don't have to mess with it and it's easier on them.

KPTX likes this.
  6. kbaxter60

kbaxter60 Hill Country State of Mind

Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Which Taurus?

7. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict Lifetime Member

May 25, 2009
    Which one do you want? For $1million, I'll sell it to you.

8. karlac

karlac Gone fishin' ... TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

Aug 21, 2013
    WestU, TX
    Howdy

9. extremist

extremist Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Keller
    May want to check this out from:
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/fl-gun-laws/#faq
    Residency Changes:

Moving from Florida and have a Florida resident license? Does that license transfer to your new state? Is there a grace period during which your Florida license remains valid?
    If a person with a Florida concealed weapons license establishes residency in another state, the license is valid until it expires provided you notify the Division of Licensing of your change of address as required.

I'm not a lawyer, but I am a Texas LTC instructor. The way I read this is that once your your FL resident license expires, you have two choices: get a FL NON-Resident license (pay the $99 fee), or get a TX Resident License (pay the ~75 for class, and $40 for license). The advantage of the TX resident license is no NICS check when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. I always tell my students that ask this - get a TX license, are you a Texan or what? :)

KPTX likes this.
  10. KPTX

Apr 5, 2020
    Grapevine, TX
    Thanks for the link & letting me know what y'all teach in your classes out here. After I moved out here a few years back my non-res FL license did need renewing so I updated it with my TX address & payed the renewal fee... This was of course after all the research I had done back then to figure out whether or not to get a TX issued one or to keep the FL one. Of course I also didn't want to take the time, yet again, to go thru another long class & send in all new forms/pics/fingerprints.

I had originally got the non-res FL CCL when I lived in LA, all my family back in AR still keep up their non-res FL one too where they came down to take the same class I took in LA... they gave 2 options then, LA resident & non-res FL. At that time the FL reciprocated in way more states than the LA one so it was the obvious choice. This was all before the majority of states reciprocated with one another in the south that I knew I'd travel through.