APOD Firearms

New Mexico Lawmaker Proposing Bill Allowing People to Carry Concealed Guns Into a Bar

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    True "bars" might get dangerous when folks start drinking too much. Common sense and decision making goes way down when alcohol is involved. Don't ask how I know. I'm not necessarily taking a stance against ............... or for it. Just my two bits.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    There are a few states that allow carry in bars if your not drinking. I dont see a problem with it. If youre getting drunk thats a different story.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    its always good idea to learn how to defend yourself.... and most of the time you can defend yourself without a gun...

I know when to use my brains, my hands, my knife, my flashlight, my "mace" or my gun. It's about options.

Why am I not allowed a tool and an option to protect myself categorically in a location because "others" can't behave?

Shouldn't intoxication while caring laws cover this? You can't handle being drunk and having a gun on you leave it in the car.

Is this risk of drunk CHL holders so dangerous we should also consider taking guns away from home owners who have enough alcohol in their home to get drunk as well?

Last edited:

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    ok... so does the nm bill allow any citizen or just those with conceal carry license to carry in a bar? i would worry about those citizens without a chl who cant hold their liquor and would want to pick a fight....

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    ok... so does the nm bill allow any citizen or just those with conceal carry license to carry in a bar? i would worry about those citizens without a chl who cant hold their liquor and would want to pick a fight....

How about a Non-CHL holder who just wants to protect him or herself? More chance a drunk will kill someone with a car than a handgun.

Let's not prohibit folks due to location and make public places gun free zones.

Or do you think CHL holders are elite citizens when it comes to gun rights?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I go to the local bar cause they got great food but I quit drinking a while back. It would be nice if I could carry there.

I would think if something like this were passed it should have a pretty stiff penalty for carrying under the influence.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    True "bars" might get dangerous when folks start drinking too much. Common sense and decision making goes way down when alcohol is involved. Don't ask how I know. I'm not necessarily taking a stance against ............... or for it. Just my two bits.

I wonder how many carry in the bars regardless of the signs.....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Got a news flash for ya......THOSE idiots are already carrying.

Exactly, which is why it is ridiculous that the list of places where concealed carrying is automatically prohibited is ridiculous.

With the exception of a few reasonable government properties such as courthouses, jails/prisons, etc; there should be no automatic restrictions.

If private property, then it should be up to the owner to decide who can carry on it...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Or you could be a teetotaler like me who on occasion goes to a bar with friends yet is legally prohibited from 51% places.

What about those who want to protect themselves at bars?

Me too. Stopped drinking altogether in September. Hate the free kill zones. Even when I drank, I seldom drink more than a single drink when out.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Or you could be a teetotaler like me who on occasion goes to a bar with friends yet is legally prohibited from 51% places.

What about those who want to protect themselves at bars?

This. Having been the DD more than a couple of times, I can say that not everybody goes into a bar to drink. As a matter of fact, it's illegal to get drunk in a bar, and it's illegal for them to serve you if you're getting drunk. They can lose their license over that stuff.

its always good idea to learn how to defend yourself.... and most of the time you can defend yourself without a gun...

Unless the other guy is bigger. Or meaner. Or both. Or has a blade.

In which case, you're fucked.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I refuse to go downtown simply because I cant legally protect myself. Downtown austin has gotten really bad and its no place I want to be. Regardless of what laws are out there my personal opinion is if youre responsible and use your judgement I'd rather get introuble for having a gun in a gun free zone than for myself or someone I care about be seriously injured or worse.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    How about a Non-CHL holder who just wants to protect him or herself? More chance a drunk will kill someone with a car than a handgun.

Let's not prohibit folks due to location and make public places gun free zones.

Or do you think CHL holders are elite citizens when it comes to gun rights?

nope.... if were legal to cc in a bar I would....

Top Bottom