• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Went there during lunch - very nice place. Plenty of the major brands, 5.11, Spec Ops, Surefire, etc. Didn't see one thing that I would consider surplus, it was all new. On the downside, I asked about Military/LE discounts, they do not offer them. I'm sure I'll be heading over there on a frequent basis.
    Lynx Defense

Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    Also went during lunch today. It was difficult to leave, but I managed to get out with wallet intact! Chatted with the lady at the register for a bit. Not sure if she was an owner or manager, but was very nice. They're going to have a big grand opening event coming up with an appearance from Gunny. I'll be dropping some coin there fo sho!

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    She said grand opening would be in March (I went today at lunch with Project325). I managed to get out of there today only buying 100' of FDE paracord. Unfortunately, they stock all the miscellaneous gear stuff that I can't justify buying online and paying shipping for. Everything seemed to be about the right price (a few dollars more than internet prices, to cover overhead, I guess). For example, a maglevel pmag was $19.99 at the store, whereas I find them for a little over $17 online. In my opinion, some things are just worth going to the store to buy.

Regarding the store's name, I would agree that it's more of a tactical store and less of a surplus store. However, I did see a pile of beat-up STANAG mags on a shelf. Not much else surplus, though. I will definitely return to this store many times...

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    From the pictures looks just like the ones in Houston.

Now if you want real surplus "stuff" Col Bubbies on the Strand in Galveston is always interesting.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Holy crap, let me warn y'all, do NOT go to this place unless you plan on spending some money!

I swung by there on my way home, today was their "grand opening" but it really wasn't that busy. What it was, though, is a huge tactical military/law enforcement store that has about everything a gear nut like myself could ever want!

Honestly, it's like a gun show without the guns. I took some pics with my camera but they're not the greatest...

IMAG0084.jpg

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0076.jpg

It is just like a Military Clothing store on base, only bigger and better! This place is definitely going to separate me from some of my money! in the future. Prices aren't bad, and the store itself is a lot cleaning than any of the military surplus stores in the area.

This is now my favorite shop in San Antonio!

Cheers! M2

Yep, looks like your every-day Army/Navy surplus store; just like the one on Harry Wurzbach you so disdain. How much were the bayonets there? And all the fancy mannequins in period uniforms as in the shop in Omaha?

Be well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, looks like your every-day Army/Navy surplus store; just like the one on Harry Wurzbach you so disdain.

It's nothing like the Army/Navy store north of Ft Sam, if anything that place is more like a National Outdoors. This is more like a military clothing store on base, except it is ten times bigger and much better stocked. The closest thing off-base that I compare it to is Kel-Lac, which is a great shop but nowhere near the size or selection of this place.

I've been to the store on Wurzbach several times (I commonly work over at Ft Sam) and I have yet to buy a thing there. I don't need old uniforms or worn-out gear, I have enough of my own.

How much were the bayonets there?

The place on Wurzbach wanted $30-40 for common Romanian AK bayonets that I get for ten bucks at the gun shows. Heck, I don't think most had the frogs on them either. I am sure I might have been able to haggle the price down a bit, but considering they were four times the price I doubt I could get them anywhere close. I guess they're hoping some clueless person is going to walk in and pay those prices, but anyone with a bit of knowledge knows how badly overpriced they are and will shop elsewhere.

And all the fancy mannequins in period uniforms as in the shop in Omaha?

Not sure of your question here, the mannequins were a museum-like display of US military uniforms through major conflicts in our history. I talked to the owner, and he said he wanted to pay tribute to the men and women who served in our armed forces. Considering he was using valuable floorspace to do so, it was commendable. Some shop owners would rather pile up overpriced, used crap...

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I went there today. (Make sure you turn in right at the "Aarons" sign because if you miss the entrance there's no easy way back to it.)

I agree with the other comments, not a typical "surplus" store but they have lots of cool and interesting tactical, military and shooting gear.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We were there today as well, and I saw someone wearing a LaRue hat who was also at the gun show on Saturday (sounds like a 1984 Rockwell song, don't it?!? ) that I thought I knew from here. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyhow, my son and I walked through the entire place again and I didn't not see one "surplus" (i.e. used) item for sale. Everything is new, even the 'new old stock' items like canteens and ammo cans.

We ended up buying a Maxpedition bag and a bird cage muzzle brake for my Draco (looks pretty good, actually; despite adding an inch to the overall length). I brought a 10% discount coupon from Facebook ('befriend' them for one) to offset the impact to my wallet, I really have to exhibit some self-control in this place.

Honestly, if you are anywhere in the area and don't check this store out, you're doing yourself a disservice. And if you do go by and see an skinny old guy in shorts and a tall, redheaded kid smacking each other with the nightsticks, swing by and say 'hello' to us!

Oh, and for us it's easier to drive up Prue and take Network Road to Vantage Way and go in via the back entrance to the store. You can also take Huebner and follow that same route going north, avoid the access road at all costs especially if you are going northbound on IH-10!

Cheers! M2

Project325

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    San Antonio
    So, I took another gun friend to this shop today and we watched 3 employees man-handling some dude's AR trying to get an Eotech, handguard and single point sling attachment on there. They were banging and pushing with everything except for actual tools for this kind of work. The poor guy just stood there and watched. He must have dropped close to a grand just then and I felt so bad for him. Not to mentioned the 3 people standing in line to pay for their shit. The store kinda stopped for 30 minutes for all this to go down before a manager (authority) came up front, sorted it out & then everyone got back to business as usual.

My point being, this is a retail shop that sells tactical stuff. It is not a gun shop to install the stuff they sell. If you buy from them take it to a trusted gunsmith if you're not doing the work yourself.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Very nice store. Lots of goodies that I want. I'm a little concerned that I walked through at 1pm ish and there were probably 6 or 7 staff. Most just standing around. Maybe one or two other customers.

Sounds expensive.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    There goes my travel voucher...

I've visited true "surplus" stores all over the country. If I'm TDY and can steal the u-drive for half an hour, I find them. Best ones I've found are around Ft Bragg. They're all cluttered, full of worn out crap, but there are diamonds in the rough if you know what to look for.

This doesn't look like a surplus store, and from what I can tell, doesn't claim to be. It looks like a toy store!

Top Bottom