• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elmerfudge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Joshua, Texas
    Started this weekend as (part time) Range Officer at local outdoor range. Temp in mid-nineties. Not even summer yet.

Assigned the manual trap line. Really busy both days. Lot's of families which is great for the future of shooting. Lot's of hunters staying sharp for dove season.

Amazing how many people show up without eye and ear protection. Talked most of them into buying both. Had to play hardball with a couple of "parents" regarding their kids not being protected. Dumb asses.

Then there are the hero's that violate the 7 1/2, 8 or 9 lead pellet rules and try to shoot steel shot and even 00 buckshot. Yes on clays. Geez.

A few counseling sessions about shooting safety.

Quite a few people shoot trap with short barrel (home protection) shotguns. Several with pistol grip (no butt stock) shotguns.

Anyway, it's great so far!
    DK Firearms

gln305

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    Lakehills, TX
    What's the name of the range? I make my way to Dallas occasionally and maybe I can swing by and say hi.

What kind of condition are the clay launchers in? At Eagle's Peak they are old and don't put them that far out, I would like to experience some better ones.

Started this weekend as (part time) Range Officer at local outdoor range. Temp in mid-nineties. Not even summer yet.

Assigned the manual trap line. Really busy both days. Lot's of families which is great for the future of shooting. Lot's of hunters staying sharp for dove season.

Amazing how many people show up without eye and ear protection. Talked most of them into buying both. Had to play hardball with a couple of "parents" regarding their kids not being protected. Dumb asses.

Then there are the hero's that violate the 7 1/2, 8 or 9 lead pellet rules and try to shoot steel shot and even 00 buckshot. Yes on clays. Geez.

A few counseling sessions about shooting safety.

Quite a few people shoot trap with short barrel (home protection) shotguns. Several with pistol grip (no butt stock) shotguns.

Anyway, it's great so far!

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Have you been reading my posts? You know its certainly the other way around if you had! But really, guy is a retired machinist/teacher so I have a lot I can learn from him since i work on my rear end all day in front of a computer...

Took it upon yourself to educate the typical gun store morons working behind the counter? LOL

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Have you been reading my posts? You know its certainly the other way around if you had! But really, guy is a retired machinist/teacher so I have a lot I can learn from him since i work on my rear end all day in front of a computer...

Was just making a joke about how it doesn't take much to know more than the typical gun store worker. ;)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Was just making a joke about how it doesn't take much to know more than the typical gun store worker. ;)
    I think it's always been that way. I walked into a still-under-construction gun store in Houston about 35 years ago and asked for an application. The husband and wife team running the place didn't have an application; they just took a minute off from setting up a display case and interviewed me on the spot. The interview was very short.

Hubby asked me about my retail sales experience. My heart sank because I had very little but I decided to make it sound as good as possible. However, before I could answer, wife jumped in with a question about side screw configurations on Smith and Wesson revolvers, something designed to test my gun knowledge. My little heart soared; back in those days I knew endless minutiae like that and was absolutely sure that my superior gun knowledge would make up for any shortcomings in my retail sales experience. I started to answer but the husband cut me off.

First, to his wife, he said "Shut up!" Then, to me, "I don't give a damn what you know about guns. I need people who can sell." He was spitting the words out from between clenched teeth with a darn-near savage tone of voice. I saw the way his wife slinked away like a beaten dog and it dawned on me instantly that this isn't the type of person I'd want to work for.

I replied "Then I feel sure you could find someone better than me." Turned around, walked out, never went back into that shop even after they were fully opened, and happily told every person who asked about the shop that I had had some personal experience with the owner and he was a jerk.

Lots of gun shops don't want good employees. They want to move product with no regard as to whether they actually understand and meet the needs of the customer.

Top Bottom