• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Please, if my little “rants” upset you, just move-on elsewhere.

If you get a new pup, these are my experiences from owning, caring-for, & loving dogs over a long lifetime. Most, since 1952, have been Labrador Retrievers; but there were a German Shorthair, a Shepherd, one Beagle, a few mutts, a very large Brittany, and too many Labs to recall.

<>

A new puppy always helps.

I have learned to raise mine with loving discipline.

First, it is “SIT”, “Come / HERE” & “NO!” for their own safety. Then the whistle.

They are acclimated to loud noises & activity by exposing them to construction sites, gun noises, large farm animals, other dogs, strangers, airplanes, etc. when still really young. They get to ride in JEEPS, boats, tractors, ATV’s & pickups. If that pup isn’t going to work-out, you’ll see it then.

Other standard commands follow: Stay, heel, leave it, & kennel-up; plus, I have a few of my own, like “truck” & “house”.

I teach them to not try to eat when humans eat, by always feeding them first, then making them keep distance from table.

They learn to not chew non-food items, to not touch furniture, to pee b/f bedtime, to spend a few nice weather nights out in yard kennel, to not jump-up on folks, etc.

I enjoy doing these, and young pups are very receptive to learning / training. If the animal is not doing well after reasonable efforts on your part; GET A DIFFERENT PUP ! The earlier this is recognized and done, the easier on all involved. I have wasted too much effort on untrainable, useless animals. If you are going to do all that I do for a dog, you deserve a good one.

When F&F visit with their extremely unruly furr-balls; I always hear “You are so lucky, your Dog is so well-behaved!”. (Especially compared to theirs!)

They can’t understand my reply ‘It is NOT luck; training must begin early, be calm, consistent, and like a form of puppy-play.”

It is virtually impossible to “Teach an Old Dog new tricks”, once they are spoiled.

So, seek a new, young pup. Begin acclimation to his/her new home with patience & enthusiasm.

A late, Dear Friend who held a BS in Education & MS in Psychology, once quit his Hiigh School Principal Career @ mid-point. He explained “After years of trying, I find it easier to teach young dogs than ruined teen-age Humans”. He went on to become a highly regarded and very successful hunting dog trainer, made several times what he did as a schoolteacher, & became the “Dean” of Duck Dogs on the Gulf Coast.

Later, he confided: “If I had any idea that I could make this much money and be this happy by training dogs, I would have begun this way!”

The above said; I do leave the hunting training to the Pro’s; but deliver them a 5 or 6 months old pup with the above already done.

If you do plan to use a “Pro” for specialized training; it is best to learn his/her “lingo” first to minimize confusion.

Let me add a word on choosing a Pro: I’ve learned to leave the pup there for a couple weeks, then make an announced visit. This is not really to “check progress”; but to evaluate the Trainer/Pup relationship. If the pup shows any fear of the Pro, I’ll remove my pup & try elsewhere.

Enjoy your new Pup !

leVieux

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My very first dog a Brittany Spaniel was my only puppy. From then on I was recycling the unwanted dogs. As much as I love puppies I just think giving a dog a second chance out ways getting a puppy.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    My very first dog a Brittany Spaniel was my only puppy. From then on I was recycling the unwanted dogs. As much as I love puppies I just think giving a dog a second chance out ways getting a puppy.
    <>

Your choice, too kind.

I actually enjoy the “work” of raising a new pup, and also enjoy the result of a very well-behaved Dog.

Usually, I’m the only one at the Vet’s waiting area not needing a leash.

We have our pets to bring us pleasure & provide companionship.

I can take my Dog anywhere, and know that he will behave.

(Unless there is a ”bitch-in-heat”; then all bets are off with all Dogs.)

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom