New shotgun care advise

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by boycan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I just bought my first new shotgun, I went with the Mossberg 535 Turkey/Foul combo. I guess my main concern is should I do anything special before I shoot it? It seems pretty oily out of the box so I am wondering should I even clean it before I shoot it?

2. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Always clean and inspect every firearm before the first time you shoot it. That way if it is dirty it will be clean and there wont be any issues with that. Give it a good looking over and inspection so it doesn't blow up in your face. Check all the screws and nuts and tighten anything that needs it. Be careful there tho you might tighten something to much or not enough. Just make sure you continue to check everything, especially while it's new. I had a marlin 336 that always needed screw tightening. Congrats be safe.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    And read your owners manual to. I always read them after I've had the gun for a year and find out things I've been wondering about for a while. GI-John will be along soon to discuss safes.

4. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Thanks thats what I will do ;-)

5. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Cool! is it a bad guy gun, bird gun, or both?

6. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    It is going to be used as both but really it is a turkey/foul combo it came with a 22" turkey barrel and a 28" barrel which prolly won't see much use. OH and it also came with a truglo reddot scope! I will get a picture and post it in a minute.

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    cool cool. Yeah I'm with you on that barrel tho. the 22" is probably good for both. Are the chokes interchangeable?

8. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    I had to put it on the baby blanket because it blended in with the couch LOL

gun3.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun1.jpg

I'm no photographer so they don't do the gun justice but what ya gonna do?

9. boycan

boycan Active Member

Mar 6, 2009
    North Dallas
    Yes the chokes work for both barrels.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Cool Gun man that is a great lead launcher for anything Be it birds or BG's.:banger::fighting0010: