• Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Correction: SLIDE is not fully closing

Looking for thoughts on an issue.....

Brand new SR9 is purchased. Taken to range straight out of the box.
    Fired with Winchester white box 115grain FMJs and Remington green box 115grain JHPs.
    Regardless of which type of ammo is used, after firing the slide fails to fully close - it returns but is about 1/8 of an inch from closing. Just needs a quick light push to return it.

Does this about 8 of 10 times fired. Has had about 40-50 rounds fired through to see if it just needed to be worked, but isn't improving.

What are your thoughts.
    DK Firearms

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Judging by your post, I'm guessing you did not strip, clean and oil the pistol prior to going to the range. If not, that would be the first best guess I could give you.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Broke down the SR, cleaned and oiled it. Didn't really see much in the way of debris or shavings.
    Called Ruger. Tech told me that these guns have real tight tolerances and that my best bet is to shoot 200-250 rounds through it. If she didn't clear up by then, send her in. He implied this is not really that abnormal.

Side note: although that is what he recommended, he said if I wanted to send it in for him to check it out now, that would be fine also.

What do you guys think? To me, it kind of makes sense. But I also feel that something like this should work straight from the factory without a break-in period.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    No reason to send it in if cleaning & lubing fixes the problem.....shoot it again before you send it in.

My .02

- Cam

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I don’t know you, so I have to ask, are you depressing the slide release or are you pulling the slide back and holding it while riding it forward when you reload? I’ve seen it done, this is why I ask. I’ve got several pistols that will positively lock with very little effort, as in riding the slide forward gently, but even more that will take the full force of the slide slamming forward to lock.

On another note, “tight tolerances” is sometimes used interchangeably with “poorly fit” by some gun manufacturers. Not saying that’s what is going on here, but you never really know. Breaking it in should help loosen it up at least.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don’t know you, so I have to ask, are you depressing the slide release or are you pulling the slide back and holding it while riding it forward when you reload? I’ve seen it done, this is why I ask. I’ve got several pistols that will positively lock with very little effort, as in riding the slide forward gently, but even more that will take the full force of the slide slamming forward to lock.

Very valid points, but he stated that it was not returning fully after firing a round.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Very valid points, but he stated that it was not returning fully after firing a round.

This is correct. In fact, it has never had an issue with the initial release - only after firing.

Planning on taking it out today and firing a good bunch through it to see if it helps at all.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Just wanted to update all. After the cleaning, I took it out to the range. Put about 35 rounds through it and it happened once. Initially it was happening 8 or 9 out of 10.

So, this has made a significant difference. I will continue to break it in and hopefully it will go away completely.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    after break in if its still acting up take some sandpaper to the feed ramp and polish it up pretty well
    good luck hopefully the problem goes away completely

Top Bottom