DK Firearms

New Starbucks 'request' no guns. Is that effective notice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpileri

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    near Fort Hood (Killeen)
    SO we have all heard that Starbucks is now requesting people leave their guns at home.
    here:

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

I read the letter from the starbucks CEO and he says it is not a ban, just a request.
    Quote:
    " this is a request and not an outright ban "

Is that request effective notice under 30.06?
    or is it meaningless for the CHL holder in Texas Starbuck's?

Mr. Schultz, the CEO, does seem to be mainly referring to open carry, but his emphasized point, also quoted: " For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. "

I am not really a Starbucks person, but just want to know.
    C-

stanjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    I guess that it makes sense...I doubt that pro-2nd amendment customers are the bulk of Starbuck's customer base. I would assume 90% of people in a Starbucks proudly associate themselves as "progressive". Only one way to deal with that sort of thing...dont go to Starbucks, dont buy starbucks products even at the grocery store...and take the extra time to spread the word that Starbuck's does not stand firm for the U.S. Constitution. Seriously, take EVERY opportunity to let people know where Starbuck's stands on individual rights of it's customers.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    As far as I'm aware there really isn't any case law to go off of, so it's anybody's guess. The request is vague enough to put it in a grey area as far as I am concerned. That alone is worth avoiding Starbucks IMO.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Meaningless.

There is no evidence he owns any of the locations or has authority to act for the owners. I bet he does not even have keys to a single location. And as TXI points out, a blog post is not a card or written document.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Meaningless.

There is no evidence he owns any of the locations or has authority to act for the owners. I bet he does not even have keys to a single location. And as TXI points out, a blog post is not a card or written document.

Actually there is evidence he owns the locations, and as a CEO he'd have the authority to act on behalf of the corporation... As a corporation they're required to disclose their stock holdings in the company.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    However - he "requested", did not say "do not" - devil is in the details. I can ASK you to leave my property, and it has no legal standing. If I TELL you to leave my property, you HAVE been put "on notice".

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    for me it matters not - I've never purchased anything from an overpriced coffee brewer.....and I never will - never

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    However - he "requested", did not say "do not" - devil is in the details. I can ASK you to leave my property, and it has no legal standing. If I TELL you to leave my property, you HAVE been put "on notice".
    Oh believe this, whether I "ask" or "tell" you to leave my property, you'll be a-leavin'!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    take the extra time to spread the word that Starbuck's does not stand firm for the U.S. Constitution. Seriously, take EVERY opportunity to let people know where Starbuck's stands on individual rights of it's customers.
    There is no constitutional right that says you can carry a gun on private property.

How is it they aren't standing firm on the Constitution?

Top Bottom