Join TexasGunTalk

New Starbucks 'request' no guns. Is that effective notice?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by cpileri, Sep 18, 2013.

1. cpileri

cpileri Active Member

SO we have all heard that Starbucks is now requesting people leave their guns at home.
    here:

http://www.starbucks.com/blog/an-open-letter-from-howard-schultz/1268

I read the letter from the starbucks CEO and he says it is not a ban, just a request.
    Quote:
    " this is a request and not an outright ban "

Is that request effective notice under 30.06?
    or is it meaningless for the CHL holder in Texas Starbuck's?

Mr. Schultz, the CEO, does seem to be mainly referring to open carry, but his emphasized point, also quoted: " For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. "

I am not really a Starbucks person, but just want to know.
    C-

2. stanjones

stanjones Member

Aug 19, 2013
    South Austin
    I guess that it makes sense...I doubt that pro-2nd amendment customers are the bulk of Starbuck's customer base. I would assume 90% of people in a Starbucks proudly associate themselves as "progressive". Only one way to deal with that sort of thing...dont go to Starbucks, dont buy starbucks products even at the grocery store...and take the extra time to spread the word that Starbuck's does not stand firm for the U.S. Constitution. Seriously, take EVERY opportunity to let people know where Starbuck's stands on individual rights of it's customers.

3. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
  4. cpileri

cpileri Active Member

Up to the mods, i guess: but the other thread isnt really addressing the "effective notice" part.
    Either way, seperate or merged, i'm good.
    C-

5. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    As far as I'm aware there really isn't any case law to go off of, so it's anybody's guess. The request is vague enough to put it in a grey area as far as I am concerned. That alone is worth avoiding Starbucks IMO.

6. stdreb27

stdreb27 TGT Addict

Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I wouldn't merge it. And I'm wondering as well... But I'm going to go with no otherwise any no gun sign would be effective notice...

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    30.06 is specific about constitutes notice. The written notice does not constitute notice under penal code 30.06. I have not heard his speak, have you?

8. cpileri

cpileri Active Member

Well, no I haven't actually heard him speak.

And he has never addressed me personally in any way, for that matter.

C-

9. Das Jared

Das Jared TGT Addict

Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    No notice

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

10. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Meaningless.

There is no evidence he owns any of the locations or has authority to act for the owners. I bet he does not even have keys to a single location. And as TXI points out, a blog post is not a card or written document.