New Texas gun law!

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by thequintessentialman, Apr 22, 2018.

1. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Texas needs this Tennessee law. Effectively, if I'm reading it correctly, it places the liability for damages from death or injury on the business if the business invokes the "gun free zone" policy and a legally authorized CC patron is injured or killed as a result of not having his EDC while on premises. This could be anything from a deranged shooter to a rabid dog or wild hog in the parking lot. Write your congressman asap.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/109/Bill/HB2033.pdf

phoenix and seeker_two like this.
  2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I read it the same way but disagree with it being a good law.

I think a business should be able to post whatever they want with no repercussions. If they want to ban guns (or any other thing or person) have at it.

If a business is posted 30.06 and 30.07 I have the right to go somewhere else. I usually exercise that right.

It is their business so they get to make the rules. The .gov needs to interfere less, not more.

I used to agree that laws like this were a good thing until we discussed this issue here a while ago. The discussion points changed my mind.

3. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    If you want the public on your property or in your business and you restrict their Constitutional rights in favor of your private property rights then you should be responsible for damage YOU engendered by allowing people there and restriscting their rights. You can be a puplic place or a private one but when you set conditions you should be held liable for the damage you allow.
    I fail to understand why running a business makes one think they are the more equal pigs on the farm

DougS63, equin, pharmaco and 2 others like this.
  4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    They aren't making you go in there. When you are willingly giving up your Constitutional rights to enter a place you don't have to go to then you are making your choice.

To me personal responsibly trumps all. You are choosing so you suffer the consequences.

If they want to limit their consumer base let them.

5. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    That's big government again. A business should be able to make their own rules. Don't get me wrong, I don't like businesses that don't allow carrying when there is lawful carry, but that should be up to them and the people who go there to take the risks, just like anywhere else. If this were to happen at a hospital, would the hospital be liable if some crazed lunatic shot up the place? Or maybe a government building that doesn't allow carry? Good luck suing them. No matter what you think of Waffle House and their rules, they are not the cause of this guy doing what he did, no more then the gun was the cause.

6. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am always in favor of big government when it fucks an anti-gunner. But law should only apply to LTC, since 06/07 signs have no impact on non-LTCs.

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I agree that screwing antis is a good thing. I also think it would get some signs removed.

But all in all I don't agree with it just on principle.

pharmaco likes this.
  8. thequintessentialman

thequintessentialman Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Yes and No, this is the cake baker and homosexual wedding thing again. The proponents of Jim Crow argued the same, that they should be allowed to deny service to whom or whatever they wanted because it's their business. As a private citizen, I have the right to interact with whomever I choose or choose not to but once entering the public domain as a business, am bound to provide service to whomever has the resources to pay. My opinion may be jaded since I was raised by politically active entrepreneurs who operated under the same principles of keeping business and personal opinion separate.

My thought was adding a liability waver for businesses that choose not to placard, from death or injury resulting from a legal CC holder. I see it coming when a business is going to get sued by leftists from an accidental discharge or other incident resulting in injury or death (or mental anguish knowing there may be someone with a gun in there.) Shopping centers get sued because patrons get mugged in the parking lot under a burned out security light... my contacts that sell surveillance equipment tell me an incident occurring under a nonfunctional camera is almost a guaranteed law suit.

I'm not a lawyer but do plan on staying in a Holiday Inn Express sometime this week...

SloppyShooter and parmesan like this.
  9. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    Winner winner chicken dinner!

parmesan and TxStetson like this.
  10. TexasBrandon

TexasBrandon TGT Addict

Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Pretty much this. No one forced you to go to the anti-gun establishment. You don't like their policy and are worried about the possibility of not defending yourself? Don't go there then. We don't need more dumb ass laws telling a property owner what he or she can or cannot do. Next up, same laws apply to your house too if you visit a friend? I can always find about 5 or 6 different alternatives if a store doesn't appeal to my standards or ideologies.