• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quicksilver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Plano
    Ok guys I'm new to this rifle stuff. I mainly play with shotguns and pistols.
    Plus when i lived in Ohio we couldn't use rifles to hunt deer.

Went to the range on Sunday and had a BLAST.
    All my rifles were given to me from my dad, and havnt been shot in probably 30 plus years. Hell i know one in my safe still has the tags on it so its never been shot.

Here is what I have

Reminton 700 BDL in .223 with a Leupold 3x9

Browning BAR in 7mm Mag with a Burris 3x9.

Winchester 70xpr Featherlight in .270 (still has hang tags on it and need glass)

The Rem 700 was the rifle my dad shot most. Mainly varmint hunting and fun shooting. I took it to the range and after 30 years in the safe it still shot about a 2" group at 100 yards (with me thats never shot a rifle)

The BAR in 7mm he got for larger game. This needs better glass on it and me to take some time with it. Recoil was still a little stiff even with the semi-auto soaking up some.
    How large of game can I take with the 7mm Mag?

The Winchester 70 I need to get glass for. So for now it just sits in the safe to keep the others company.

What would you guys add to these rifles? I had a 22lr but gave it to my brother when i moved, I want to get another.
    What would be the next step up above the 7mm? someting like a .308/7.62x51??
    I dont forsee ever going to Africa or anything like that, but would like something plenty strong enough for big elk or possibly bear.

Thanks for any info and sorry for the long post.
    Josh
    Lynx Defense

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Well people use the 223 for the dog sized deer we have here but I would go with a 308
    the 308 and 762 nato are slightly different in the case.

I do shoot the NATO surplus through my 700 but the bolt is tough to close. It has a tight chamber for the 308 also but not as tight.

a good lever gun - 30-30 357mag

Lots of choices, I take the attitude of one each please

bvillars

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    hawghauler is right, if you haven't give them a good cleaning. If you aren't sure how there are threads on the most correct way to do this. I also recommend then using rig grease for long time storage. This product just came back to the market and I have used it for twenty plus years. Oh and to answer your question 300 mag is a nice rifle. Is your mod 70 a pre 64.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Christmas came early. First thing I would buy is a good cleaning kit and give them a real deep cleaning.
    +100 Your rifle will shoot better clean.
    I think you should put a Nikon or Leupold 3x9 on the win model 70 and that is a great deer rifle. the 700 in 223 would be a great varmint/coyote rifle. Take the scope off the 700 and put it on the model 70 and get a good 12 or 14 power for the 223. As far as the 7 mag goes, you can hunt damn near anything with a 7 mag but if elk is in your future get a 300 win mag. Plus I'm no expert so research every thing I say. For that matter research everything everyone says that way you can form your own opinion with the knowledge you gain on your own and the knowledge from the many words of wisdom that you'll find here.
    P.S Welcome to a life time of spending money on rifles.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    7mm Rem Mag has more power than a .308 by a fair amount. Your common weight is around 140 - 150 grains and it's pretty widely used for elk, which is going to pretty much guarantee it's good for anything up to brown bears. You can use it for anything in N. America, and most of Africa, but the heavier the game, the more shot placement sensitive the round is going to become.

I would buy a good Leupold for the BAR, unfortunately the BARs aren't as accurate as the bolt-rifles from my experience, but they are good for hunting. Stick to a 3-9x variable VX-II and you'll be set on that thing. The Burris scopes generally don't bode well on sharp recoiling rifles.

The .243 with a Leupold is perfect for Texas game. If you are unsure about the rifle, I'd have it cleaned. Re-shoot it and take your time.

If they don't have bipods, look into some Harris bipods. The swivel ones are very nice.

Invest in good rings, and good glass. I suggest Leupold for the value. Nikon isn't bad either, but I would avoid their 1/8 MOA scopes.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Your pretty well set for anything on this continent. The 223 for varmints, 270 for deer, and the 7mm mag for anything really big or dangerous.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I just wanted to say that you have a nice start to a collection (is any collectino ever really complete?).

I envy you because you have some rifles from your parents.

Remember, diameter of a round isn't everything. You have to look at the powder behind it.

I also think that a 22lr and an Evil Black Rifle would go nicely. : )

Good luck, have fun.

Quicksilver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Plano
    Thanks for the input guys. I will get another .22 soon. I gave my 10-22 to my brother before i moved.

The big things i want to get are another larger caliber Bolt action.
    Another .22lr

As far as for the "EBR" I am torn between a AR platform or a M1A

Josh

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    Josh wrote:

"As far as for the "EBR" I am torn between a AR platform or a M1A"

As an old-timer who grew up on "real" rifles with wood stocks and a satisfying thump when you shoot (that should get some reactions!) I naturally go for the M1A. While the ARs look all mean and spacey I just can't learn to like the sound of the recoil spring next to my ear. The first time I fired one as 17 year old Army recruit I couldn't believe it, it just sounded and felt like a toy. Now as an old guy who just requalified after many years, I still feel the same way. The M1A is a quality rifle with a good, all-around round that will serve you well for most any target. It is heavier than an AR and will likely kick harder. I personally don't mind that. You'll have to decide those things for yourself.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Josh wrote:

As an old-timer who grew up on "real" rifles with wood stocks and a satisfying thump when you shoot (that should get some reactions!) I naturally go for the M1A. While the ARs look all mean and spacey I just can't learn to like the sound of the recoil spring next to my ear. The first time I fired one as 17 year old Army recruit I couldn't believe it, it just sounded and felt like a toy. Now as an old guy who just requalified after many years, I still feel the same way. The M1A is a quality rifle with a good, all-around round that will serve you well for most any target. It is heavier than an AR and will likely kick harder. I personally don't mind that. You'll have to decide those things for yourself.
    Nothing like the soul an old iron and wood M1A or M1 has about them. But then Again I'm starting to like the ARs now so Get one of each at some point in your life and shoot the one you like the most the most. Have fun shooting.

Quicksilver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Plano
    Josh wrote:

I cant agree more. When i shot an AR for the first time i couldnt belive how noisy that spring was. When my dad was in the Military they were switching to the M-16's from the M-14's. He hated them, he kept his heavy and reliable M-14.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I work with a guy that was in the Marines in Vietnam and he is still pissed that they took his M14 and gave him an M16. He still despises anything that looks like and M16. LOL!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    LOL

I think an AR would be cheaper to run (assuming you got it in 5.56 or .223.) My judgment isn't clouded by personal attachment to the heavy recoil or the beautiful wooden stock.

I think the obvious answer is get both, eventually. Personally, I'll go for the AR now, then later, when I have enough money to get a really nice M1a.

That is just my own opinion. : )

Top Bottom