Guns International

New to Texas, looking for some land/ people to hunt with.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKYNET KC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    San Antonio
    Hey guys! I've been lurking the forums for a while, I post a bit. I'm located in San Antonio and i'm looking for somewhere to hunt...really just about anything. I prefer deer and turkey, but whatever is available is fine with me. I've been hunting for almost 15 years, so i've got some time under my belt. You don't have to worry about me making any dumb decisions or doing anything stupid, as I would view any hunting I got to do as a privilege.

So yeah, if you guys know of anyone that needs some management bucks taken off their land, or you just want someone else to team up with while hunting some other game let me know and I'd LOVE to come join. :)

Thanks guys,
    Matt
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Welcome to Texas. Most public land was given to the rail road, back in the day. Most of Texas is private. Some places, right up to the river bank.

Iam as native as you can get to this state. hunted all my life. Here's my suggestions. If you see land you'd like to hunt. You might get lucky and the owner needs a pasture shredded. Hell, maybe just the garden tilled. Offer to help pull cedar stumps. Cut mesquite is a big one. also sucks the most.

"Hello, my names so and so, I live down yonder by (), id like to offer some labor, for a little private hunting now and then. I'll help wherever you need me"...Don't show up in camo, thats retarded. Dress like you expect to invited inside for a laidback dinner.

No that doesn't mean youre gonna be farmed out for 40hrs to hunt two hours. It breaks the ice. It lets the land owner know that, youre there to respect the property, and also willing to help, maintain, and improve their place. Some folks might, I say might, let you hunt whenever. dont even have to see the owners. Thats kinda rare, now a days.

Then again, met a girl, and a three days later. Her aunt invites me to hunt deer. Near Killeen. Texas hunting spots are both luck and hard ass work.

Go from there. Otherwise, expect to pay to hunt.

Last edited:

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Coming from a state that is full of abundant national forest that are great for outdoors to Texas was a big upset. Dove hunting is really the only hunting I enjoy here.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you bow hunt check your area for wildlife management areas.

Tough hunting when it comes to deer but there are some great areas for hog hunting.

SKYNET KC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    San Antonio
    Guess ill just be driving back to Missouri to go hunt. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I'm definitely disappointed. Hunting was one of the big reasons I decided to take this job in Texas. Oh well, ya live and ya learn.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Guess ill just be driving back to Missouri to go hunt. I was planning on doing that anyway, but I'm definitely disappointed. Hunting was one of the big reasons I decided to take this job in Texas. Oh well, ya live and ya learn.

We have some of the best hunting in the country. African game, like 7 species of deer, elk, rams, lots of smaller critters. Ive hunted a 20grand acre ranch. Whitetail tail, with antler bases as large as your wrist. You couldn't shoot enough cottontail to dent the pop. Quail as fat as chickens.

If you want to hunt. It takes politics or straight cash. And some hunts dont run that much.

Next time you see the mexicans hang out at home depot. Watch who picks them up. farmers need labor for corn, maze, other crap. What they don't need is hogs jacking their harvest up. So hit one of them up. Stand right with the mexicans. Make a elf booted friend. When a farmer drives up. Don't be a vagina. Ask if anyone needs help with pest control. And don't think about leaving dead hogs laying around. Unless the farmer wants it. You aint eating it. Be prepared to dig a hole.

Iam a rare Texan. I find deer hunting boring. Fair chase, stand, don't care. Ive never paid for a deer hunt. never will. Ive shot plenty. Just cause Texas is private, doesn't mean you can't find badass hunts. Iam living proof of that.

Last edited:

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I saw the name, and the end of the title didnt include 'with' and i thought immediately, of the skynet in Terminator. XD!

Anyhow, welcome to the Great State of Texas!

SKYNET KC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    San Antonio
    That's where the name comes from...and it's the name of a song.

But thanks for the welcome. I didn't mean to take a shot to the state, as I've never hunted on public land anyway. In Missouri we have a 400 acre farm that I've taken plenty of deer off of, and had people on a weekly basis offer for me to come hunt on their property. But living in the city part of San Antonio, I don't really have the opportunity to just drive outside of the city and start looking for places to go knocking on doors. If I have to hunt on public land I will, but I was more or less making this post to see if anyone here had some land that they wanted help taking some animals off of. I'm more than willing to trade some labor for hunting, no issues with that.

Edit: Here is a mandatory "Something I've killed" bragging picture. Shot this guy opening day 3 years ago. Score just over 150 inches. BIG body buck, and only 8 points. He would have been a monster the following year, but I couldn't let him go.

IMG_1015_zpsa5226041.jpg

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That's where the name comes from...and it's the name of a song.

But thanks for the welcome. I didn't mean to take a shot to the state, as I've never hunted on public land anyway. In Missouri we have a 400 acre farm that I've taken plenty of deer off of, and had people on a weekly basis offer for me to come hunt on their property. But living in the city part of San Antonio, I don't really have the opportunity to just drive outside of the city and start looking for places to go knocking on doors. If I have to hunt on public land I will, but I was more or less making this post to see if anyone here had some land that they wanted help taking some animals off of. I'm more than willing to trade some labor for hunting, no issues with that.

Edit: Here is a mandatory "Something I've killed" bragging picture. Shot this guy opening day 3 years ago. Score just over 150 inches. BIG body buck, and only 8 points. He would have been a monster the following year, but I couldn't let him go.

IMG_1015_zpsa5226041.jpg

What was the age on that deer?

SKYNET KC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    San Antonio
    I'm guessing 3 years. We saw him the year before as a 4 point. Very strong genes in whoever bred him. We've got a few bucks that all have a turned up 4th tine like that.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    That is not the way antlers grow. If he was three( and you can get an exact age by the wear on his teeth) he looked just like that at two, just less mass on his antlers. And less body mass. Brow tines are genetic.

SKYNET KC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    San Antonio
    That is not the way antlers grow. If he was three( and you can get an exact age by the wear on his teeth) he looked just like that at two, just less mass on his antlers. And less body mass. Brow tines are genetic.

Well I dunno what to tell ya, because he was a 4 point the year before.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    So, I am assuming there was an ear tag on him, and it was the same ear tag from the year before? Big scar, or other unusual, unique characteristics, such as leucistic spots or such?

Not bagging on you, it is a great looking deer.
    There is another thread here that talks about deer genetics from a herd management perspective.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    So, I am assuming there was an ear tag on him, and it was the same ear tag from the year before? Big scar, or other unusual, unique characteristics, such as leucistic spots or such?

Not bagging on you, it is a great looking deer.
    There is another thread here that talks about deer genetics from a herd management perspective.

Well at least he pulled the bells of the antlers. Un cool to take pics with them still hanging.

No joke. Knew some mexicans west of here. They'd rope stags in early velvet. hang freaking bells on the horns. And then wait on deer season to shoot them. What a bunch of tards....lmao...and I don't believe there's a law against it. The deer aint shot out of season. havnet seen "bells" listed in the Texas game booklet.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom