• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I have been noticing a new trend for availibility and pricing between these 2. Historically 9 and 40 have had about a $4-6 gap per/50 rounds of FMJ. Lately I have been seeing WAAAAY more 40 on the shelves and the matching brands vs 9mm is usually only about a $2 dollar difference.

Well I thought the next handgun I was gonna get would be a 9mm but since the magazines are harder to find I am going to get a 40 and not look back.

Im thinking during another ammo scare 40 will be my better bet.

What do yall think??? Feel free to weigh in.
    ARJ Defense ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    During the last scare, .40 was one of the hardest to find. I will even extend that to .40 and .45 ACP. Everyone I knew was looking for it.

I occasionally peruse my local dealers, and they seem to be stocking more .40's than they used to. I was looking at SOG and they had a lot of .40's, and very few 9mm's. I am sure that depending on the store, the stock will consist of the customer favorites, it just makes sense.

My .40 was my first choice, and I bought a second, and plenty of ammo. Over the past few years I have all but stopped .40's for range fodder, and reserve them for home defense. 9mm is just so much cheaper to shoot. I usually fire about 600 rounds a month of 9mm.

Just yesterday I bought a Ruger Mark III target pistol, with a speedloader. IF you have never seen one of these Speedloaders in action, trust me they are awesome. Dump in a couple hundred rounds of .22 LR, and push the magazine in to load it, 5 seconds a mag!

I can load and fire 500 rounds of .22, in 30 minutes between cease fires.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    during the last shortage, I had NO problem finding .40 at normal prices..In fact, a bunch of people jumping ship were selling there .40 ammo on guntrader..at good prices..so I stocked up..LOL... Now sitting on a mountain of .40 I still buy it when I find dirt cheap deals on good stuff... I love my .40

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The popularity of the .40 soared because DHS uses it. They consume a tremendous volume, so there is a lot manufactured. Same with 9 mm because of military use.

I like the .40, though I also love the .45. As TexasRedneck said, it's good to reload! The .40 does very, very well with Hodgdon Longshot. As it happens, the same setting on my powder meter that I use for Longshot in the .40 also works for Bullseye in the .45. Doesn't take long to crank out enough rounds for a trip to the range.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    During the Epic Ammo Drought of '08-'10, I found more .40 S&W available than any other caliber at my local fun stores.

.380 Auto, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 Auto & .45 Colt just dried up. Same for .223 Rem, .308 Win, 7.62X39.

Maybe the Gangsta's had no respect for .40 S&W.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm with TX1911 on this one. I'm not an in between type. I go 9mm or 45 acp and I'll save plenty reloading for both. Anything the 40 can do the 45acp can do at almost half the internal pressure. And....nines are just plain fun to shoot!!!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As we all know, the 9mm was made for the PC crowd an' li'l ol' ladies. The .40 was for those of us that wanted something lighter ta plink with than our 45's.

jest sayin'........:D

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I must be a lil ol lady..lol
    I am switching all over to 9mm. It seems to put a hole in things just like the 40.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Avoiding the age old arguments, which is better, 9mm, .40cal, .45 , I can reload 9mm, have had a Luger, a P-38, and now a PT99 Taurus, and an el cheapo KelTec...Fun caliber for plinking, would work for protection in a pinch. If I am in zombie territory, I carry a more powerful, more lethal caliber but even that Taurus with 17 in the mag and one in the pipe would be fair protection, just a tad big and heavy for concealed carry. Doubtful if open carry passes that I'd pack a 9mm,
    more likely a 1911 or a Ruger 4" barrel .44 Magnum if I did OC....

Waterguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Baytown
    I like both rounds, I just seem to prefer the 9mm. They both will put a nice little hole in the target.
    However the 22 is a blast and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot. It just takes a few more shots to
    put a good hole in the target, but it only takes one in the right spot.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, as all of ya'll SHOULD know, I look at it like motorcycles - what YOU like is YOUR choice - but I reserve the right ta hoo-rah ya about it!<G>

Each of us is gonna have a caliber/style that we're most comfortable with. For me, that's P238's in the pocket, an' a .45 on the hip. Or a 66....or 686...or Beretta 96 INOX Compact....

Bottom line - you're gonna carry what you feel is gonna do the job, as will I. I have my personal reasons to own no 9mm handguns, just as others will for eschewing the .45. As long as we all remember we love our 2nd Amendment rights and RESPECT the others' right to choose what THEY want, then we can have fun pickin' on each other about it. If ya wanna take it all serious, then talk w/someone else - life is too short!

Top Bottom