Hurley's Gold

newbie here wanting to get into reloading.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 93notch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Arlington
    Sorry if this has been asked alot, but i am wanting to get into reloading to try and save money, and be able to build the rounds to what i want. I am just looking for some suggestions on what is a goot entry style system, for doing pistols rounds. Thanks
    Aaron
    DK Firearms

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You might want to do a search here and on The Firing Line and the The High Road forums. This has been asked a lot. However, briefly, no matter what you hear, start with a single stage press until you learn the basics. You'll only frustrate yourself starting with a progressive machine like a Dillon if you don't understand all the steps that go in to reloading a round. Buy the ABC's of Reloading. It's not perfect but it's a good start. And if you buy any one reloading manual, start with Lyman's since it has more generic loads and uses different bullets for each cartridge. The Lee Manual is just a compilation of everyone eles's data so I never use it, even though I have a copy.

Any of the kits, like the RCBS will give you most of the tools you need to start reloading. I dislike Lee since I think they go a little too "cheap" but some guys swear by them. Check eBay; you never know, you might find a deal on some used equipment or check your local gun show. There's usually someone cleaning out their garage of used equipment.

Since you're in Arlington, you might want to check out the gun show in Dallas on March 20. We're heading over since I wanted to look at their prices on reloading supplies.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    I dislike Lee since I think they go a little too "cheap" but some guys swear by them.
    (This is not an argument, just a statement of fact.)
    Bullseye, I have a Lee set that is just over 12 years old. They are not the best out there and much of the stuff is made cheaply. But it does work, is a decent starter set and all of the cheaply made stuff can be replaced as you move forward in the hobby.

Besides, the Lee starter kit is 81$ right now at midway. It is hard to find even a press for that price from the other manufactures.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I agree with getting the Lyman reloading book, it a very good manual. Also you should get a book called the ABC's of reloading. Read both books before buying any equipment, they will help you select what you need. They are also excellent reference material.

My suggestion would be to start with a Lee Classic turret press kit (this is a good inexpensive entry level system). You can leave the indexing rod out and operate it as a single stage press, so you will not have to constantly remove and install dies. When you become more comfortable with the process you can reinstall the indexing rod and use the Lee auto-disk powder measure and increase your loading rate.

You will probably hear the haters chime in about Lee quality, but mine has held up extremely well, I have loaded about 20k rounds of various calibers. Right now on my Lee turret press I can load about 50 rounds in 15 minutes, I also have a die plate for every caliber I reload (38spl, 44mag, 50ae, 45acp, & 308win), so when I want to switch calibers, I just change the die plate and shell holder and I am ready to go.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    check craig's list for good deals. Other than that, get a manual or two. I like Lymans manual. . better than Hornady's.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Good advice. start simple, the various books all tell you how. Gunpowder measurement is extremely important ! An inexpensive beginner's method is Lee's powder dippers & chart . As designed you go by the instructions and you won't go wrong. Avoid maximum loads, they are posted in the books and for the big boys with the BIG guns. Have fun !

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    I got the Lee KIt and like it really well. I suggest the Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders a powder trickler at least 3 books and the 4 set carbide dies.
    Cabela's -- Lee Deluxe Pistol Four-Die Set You can get maybe 95% from
    MidwayUSA . I get my brass from these guys https://surplusammo.com/ . Try to find powder that is in all your reloading books. Here is a couple of the big powder companies: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp and Alliant Powder - Home. Try to find primers and the gun powder in your area or you have to pay a $20 Haz Mat fee no matter how much you buy. Right now as for primers the only place I have found is here. Cabela's -- MagTech® Primers
    Ohh Welcome to the site.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Just do yourself a favor and get more than one scale. I do not trust volume based powder systems because my scales have proven their charts wrong so many times. I second the turret press, it is a high quality low cost setup. I would also recommend a hand tool for priming instead of using a press.

93notch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Arlington
    I am going to go and try to find some books, and do some reading on the subject, I am looking at reloading for my 40 cal. Is there a kit that is better than the others, I was browsing online and saw something i cant remember where it was at through, But it was a single caliber setup that was a decent price.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I would either go learn from someone... or get a single stage press in the form of a kit... like the rcbs rock chucker kit. Reloading is not hard however there are things you learn as you go and reloading pistol rounds that need to be belled and crimped takes a try or two before you get it correct. My xd-9 will cycle hand loads perfectly that when I put them in my friends walther p99 it jams.. Some chambers are different. Die adjustments take some feel to get them where they need to be.

The problem with jumping into a turret or indexing press is that you are going to have to do multiple things in series, and if you forget to do one you can have some problems. Double charge, half charge, or no charge at all... Now some people are going to yell at me and say if you use the equipment correct that will never happen! Well when you are new and focusing on so many things at once is a great time to miss something and not setup your equipment right.

If you are in the Austin area I know there are multiple people on here willing to help you out, including me. Don't be shy ask to go sit in with someone on a pistol reloading session!

That being said I use a rcbs, lee, and a Dillon 650xl for all my reloading needs.

93notch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Arlington
    if i was in the austin area i would take you up on that offer to sit in on a little session. But its about 3 hours from here, I am in arlington. I was looking at a single stage press system for now, and them maybe move up to a progressive/turret system.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A turret press is basically a glorifed single stage. Some have auto indexing, but you can turn it off to make it effectively be a single stage. If you felt really good with a single stage, then I'd skip it and go with a progressive. I love my progressive, but it is a lot more complicated and a lot faster. A lot can go wrong. Even on my progessive, I'm not trying to go verey fast. I'm sure there are people who could crank out 3 or 4 hundred rounds an hour, but I don't have nearly that high rate. I'm so happy I have one. I'm glad I waited. I still use a single stage for my rifle.

Just my 2 cents.

There are some good videos on uTube, I'm sure.

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Sorry if this has been asked alot, but i am wanting to get into reloading to try and save money, and be able to build the rounds to what i want. I am just looking for some suggestions on what is a goot entry style system, for doing pistols rounds. Thanks
    Aaron

When you get started, if you need help, feel free to contact Roger @ 817-448-7683 or Seelbachshooting.com for reloading instruction.

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Wasn't trying to spam. Just trying to help you get started. I do this for the love of the 2nd amendment, not because I want money. I will show you for free.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Lee Classic turret press kit is the best for beginners gives you the option of manual or index and I believe the beginner should start manually doing each process individually, size/deprime, prime,expand, charge, seat, crimp in batches once you have a few hundred under your belt move on to the indexing setup. Overall the turret models give you the best options at lower cost.

Top Bottom